An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion

Akalyte

Many non-catholics have a problem with "Religion" they somehow think that its evil...How did they come to this conclusion? what does the bible say?

I like religion.

religion:
. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

[quote]If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man's religion is vain.

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

--James 1:26-27[/quote]

If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man's religion is vain.

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

--James 1:26-27

Bravo. I like that.

I pray that onto myself in the name of Jesus Christ.

It seems more like allot of people think religion to be sort of an unessacary step to enter heaven. They say as long as they keep their morals and they lead good lives they will be alright. I feel for them because of their ignorance, they won't be 'alright', we all have a responsibilty to discover the truth.

[quote name='uruviel' post='1159201' date='Jan 8 2007, 06:49 PM']
It seems more like allot of people think religion to be sort of an unessacary step to enter heaven. They say as long as they keep their morals and they lead good lives they will be alright. I feel for them because of their ignorance, they won't be 'alright', we all have a responsibilty to discover the truth.
[/quote]
Bravo.

That is why all people must search the scriptures every day, because that is what testify of the Christ.

Prayer is also necessary. And living a holy, separated life for the glory of God.

But Jesus did pay for it all. He only requires us to live holy lives for this moment on.

Yes but people that say "I just need to be good and I'll get to Heaven" that is ignorance. It is arrogance to read the scriptures and rely on ones own mind to translate it, perhaps it's not really aragance, but it just seems awful prideful to look at it that way. If there was no church to help us translate the bible then everyone would translate it differently and there would be 30 trillion different religions and reasons and ways to live your life. People need to stop relying on themselves for truth. If they research the Catholic Church they will see that the Catholic Church is just the tool to reach Heaven. It helps us live the lives that God wants us to live through the bible. Not to mention, I could go on forever proving that Christ DID intend to form an organized church, but I don't think anyone really wants me to do that. Anyways, my friend always says, she reads the bible every night, and she just tries to stick to her morals but she is very immature to be saying that she can only say that because she hasn't really been tested on them yet. Ok, I'll go ahead and stop now.
^_^

[quote name='uruviel' post='1159800' date='Jan 9 2007, 10:22 AM']
Yes but people that say "I just need to be good and I'll get to Heaven" that is ignorance. It is arrogance to read the scriptures and rely on ones own mind to translate it, perhaps it's not really aragance, but it just seems awful prideful to look at it that way. If there was no church to help us translate the bible then everyone would translate it differently and there would be 30 trillion different religions and reasons and ways to live your life. People need to stop relying on themselves for truth. If they research the Catholic Church they will see that the Catholic Church is just the tool to reach Heaven. It helps us live the lives that God wants us to live through the bible. Not to mention, I could go on forever proving that Christ DID intend to form an organized church, but I don't think anyone really wants me to do that. Anyways, my friend always says, she reads the bible every night, and she just tries to stick to her morals but she is very immature to be saying that she can only say that because she hasn't really been tested on them yet. Ok, I'll go ahead and stop now.
^_^
[/quote]

That is true! Thats why i tell anti-catholics that when they say "the bible says this" I say "no, you say that". what the bible says and what your personal interpretations say are 2 different things.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1158178' date='Jan 7 2007, 12:54 PM']
Many non-catholics have a problem with "Religion" they somehow think that its evil...How did they come to this conclusion?[/quote]
It is important here to distinguish between groups when you are discussing this. There are those Christians who have seen cases where religion as traditions and rules of do this and don't do that and be this way have drowned out the emphasis on a love relationship with Jesus and letting Him change us through a relationship with Him and fellowship with His people--other Christians.

Then there are those who spurn religion and especially organized religion as a whole. I don't really understand that one, but maybe they saw someone hurt or excluded as a result of religion. Maybe they have come to a point where they just don't think it matters much to them. These people are probably more atheists, agnostics, and spiritual individualists who think they can go it alone.