An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which Version Would You Prefer?

Knight of the Holy Rosary

Translation preference  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was asked this by a friend and thought it would be interesting to hear the Pham's opinion.

Douay-Rheims all the way for me.

I can't find the original though :(

son_of_angels

For personal use, I prefer the Douai Rheims (because of its close adherence to the Latin) and the Revised Standard Version-CE. I also enjoy using the New Jerusalem Bible.

However, for the Liturgy of the Word, or for public biblical reading in general, I have always believed that the New Revised Standard Version is one of the best out there. This is a version familiar to Catholics and Non-Catholics alike, approved at various times by the Church, and capable of reaching out to larger groups of people. It is also the scholarly version of choice, which would make it even more timely.

cmotherofpirl

For personal use I have the New English Bible brought back from London.
I love the translation.
Unfortunately its so old that not only is the cover gone, but most of Revelations fell off as well. :huh:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1156724' date='Jan 5 2007, 03:02 PM']
For personal use I have the New English Bible brought back from London.
I love the translation.
Unfortunately its so old that not only is the cover gone, but most of Revelations fell off as well. :huh:
[/quote]

We win at the end.

heavenseeker

new american but only because thats the only one i knew exactly what it was, chances are i actualy like one of the others better.

goldenchild17

Either Douay version for the Liturgy and the RSV-CE for personal reading. Any Douay Version, RSV-CE, or the original Jerusalem Bible are a million times better than NAB.

I don't particularly care for the NAB myself. As I said before I read the DR (Challoner) and when I listen to the readings at Mass and compare the two....Well, the DR blows the doors off of the NAB. The DR contains such eloquence and poeticism I can't read anything else. But that's just me.

I like the commentary better too.... :saint:

For the Mass of the Catechumans, I think the RSVCE would be the best so that those who cannot understand the archaic language in the DR would be able to know what was being read.

For personal use, I like to use both the Douay-Rheims (Challoner, becuase that's the one that's most readily available and the one which I am most acquainted with, and for the commentary) and the RSVCE (So I can get a good translation of the original languages and the more modern language)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Pia' post='1157580' date='Jan 6 2007, 03:30 PM']
I like the New English Bible for personal use, also the Jerusalem and Oxford Annotated for studying.
[/quote]
Where did you get your New English Bible at?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Are those who have problems with the NAB translation opposed to the lectionary version too? It is a modified version that made some changes in order to be approved for use in the liturgy.