An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Christ Have Had A Wife Or Child While On Earth?

Resurrexi

Could Christ have had a wife and/or child while on earth?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

heavenseeker

ok i call tht last post of mine back because it's late and i wasnt thinking of what was in full question so go on as if i didnt post this or my one before it.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1154093' date='Jan 2 2007, 01:17 PM']

And if I was feeling 100% I could win the heavyweight champion title, but I'm not . . .
[/quote]

I wonder how you would feel if 4 of your close friends were murdered on Christmas day.......and you wonder why I cannot put up a fight on this.......its people that act like you that make me re-think why I became catholic, and btw that thread is in transmund......I simply don't have the strength to fight anymore.

Belinda

please, you can't assume folks over a faceless medium like the internet to know your situation. if you post on a debate thread people will inevitably respond to your post expecting you to debate it, they will not know anything about what's going on.

socrates is a person who doesn't know you personally and acts like a debater in the debate table, nothing more. he should have absolutely no impact on your faith crisis: if you do not feel up to debating, it is perfectly respectable for you to bow out and not debate. but your assertion of facts will be challenged in the wake of your absence because many lurkers read these posts and us phatmassers won't just let a claim go unchallenged.

phatmass debaters don't really take personal issue with people; they want their thoughts and responses to all challenges published on a public phorum so that all readers can read both sides and make up their mind.

may your friends and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1152138' date='Dec 30 2006, 10:55 AM']
I said 'could have' simply because He is God and God can do anything He wants :D:

That said, Jesus also COULD have, during His time on Earth, invented Velcro. started a basketball team, opened a fitness center, etc....but he didn't.

The question is a little silly, methinks :P:
[/quote]

I concur.

Guest JeffCR07

I maintain that Christ could not have had a wife or child while on Earth.

Being fully human and fully divine, Christ was the "firstfruits of creation" and was himself the perfection of mankind. Now the perfection of mankind is nothing other then the state of man with the Beatific Vision, that is, man in heaven. Christ then, even in his humanity, possessed heaven even while He was on earth. His perfected humanity was revealed alongside the perfect glory of His Divinity in the transfiguration. We know from Christ's own words that in heaven there is no marriage. As such, the perfect humanity of Christ is incompatible with marriage, which is by its very nature a pointing towards that perfection that is to come while not being that perfection.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

[quote name='In His Light' post='1153390' date='Jan 1 2007, 04:13 AM']
Firstly, the religion of the times that Jesus was subject to was Judaism.
Mother Mary under went the required purifications under the law, presented Jesus at the Temple aka living under that law! The scripture says so.

Secondly, it is well known that Rabbi needed to be married and still do! Any jewish man unmarried at 30 was a laughing stock! The role of the wife of a rabbi is well known to be a caring role for the women of the community, both then and now. Ask any orthodox follower and they will tell you the same.

St John's role was prophet not Rabbi and his links to the Essenes are well known in good biblical scholarship. So that holds no water.

St Mary Magdalene [b]WAS NEVER[/b] a whore and the church withdrew that claim many years ago. There have always been three Mary's and none of them were whores. I would suggest you check your information :ohno:

The fact that you don't know that the church withdrew its claim on St Mary years ago when that is common knowledge makes me wonder....

Do me a favour prove it.....

Belinda (BTh early church history major and current student!)
[/quote]

Gives a thumbs up for this.

I would recommend to everybody not to listen to this person anymore.

My hat goes off to In His Light.

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='1158350' date='Jan 7 2007, 06:52 PM']
We know from Christ's own words that in heaven there is no marriage. As such, the perfect humanity of Christ is incompatible with marriage, which is by its very nature a pointing towards that perfection that is to come while not being that perfection.

[/quote]

Werent Adam and Eve together before the fall? Jeff, I have some other questions regarding this. PM me, it doesnt fit well here.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1151958' date='Dec 30 2006, 01:42 AM']
Could Christ have had a wife and/or child while on earth? He of course, as the Church offocially teaches, did not, but could He have?
[/quote]

[mod]personal attack[/mod]

Edited by homeschoolmom

well, history has been altered before. and many accounts in the bible were written centuries after the events. is possible i think, if not likely.

oh and could all the people that have just signed up and are calling everyone satanic please leave and come back when youve matured a little? this is a debate thread about a hypothetical situation

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1158769' date='Jan 8 2007, 02:40 AM']
well, history has been altered before. and many accounts in the bible were written centuries after the events. is possible i think, if not likely.
[/quote]
That theory was started in the 19th century by "rationalists" who did not believe that the events in the Gospels really took place, so they claimed they were legends which developed over time and were written down much later.

However, all the lastest evidence shows that the four Gospels were all written within living memory of Christ, which is what Catholic tradition has always taught. Fragments of the Gospels of Matthew and Mark have been found which date to the mid first-century, and a fragment of John, the last gospel written, was found in Egypt dated to the early second-century, showing it was already in wide circulation at that time.

And it is rather foolish to assert something based on the assumption that the earliest written records about it (the gospels) were lying!

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1158388' date='Jan 7 2007, 07:35 PM']
[mod]edit[/mod][/quote]
You have GOT to be kidding me...

Edited by homeschoolmom

[quote][mod]edit[/mod].[/quote]

If anyone should be saying that, it should be us, the People of the One Church founded by the God-Man Jesus Christ, against which the gates of Hell shall not prevail, saying it to you,[color="#FF0000"]edited by cmom[/color]

In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
In reparation for the blasphemies against the Divinity Our God and Lord Jesus Christ:
Pater noster, qui es in caelis,
Sanctificetur nomen tuum.
Adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua,
Sicut in caelo et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie.
Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
Et ne nos inducas in tentationem:
Sed libera nos a malo.
Amen.
In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Ora et Labora

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1155566' date='Jan 3 2007, 07:57 PM']
I would just like to point out, Jesus Christ is married and does have children. Holy Mother Church is His bride and we are His children.

Ps, Christ could not have had "real" wife and children, because this would have made Christianity a form a Paganism. If God, Christ, took a wife and reproduce with her then the offspring would in fact be gods as well, and their offspring would also be gods. There is only One God as we know, this is a fact, there can be no other gods but God. This is why Christ DID NOT and COULD NOT have a wife and children.
[/quote]

this is exactly what i was going to add. :) reality check: he has millions of children. look in the mirror. lol.

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1158388' date='Jan 7 2007, 07:35 PM']
[mod]personal attack[/mod]
[/quote]

dude, i really don't think you quite understand the whole idea of the [i]debate[/i] table...st. thomas more was not saying it as a fact, rather as a subject that could be discussed.