An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could Christ Have Had A Wife Or Child While On Earth?

Resurrexi

Could Christ have had a wife and/or child while on earth?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Could Christ have had a wife and/or child while on earth? He of course, as the Church offocially teaches, did not, but could He have?

Edited by StThomasMore

homeschoolmom

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1151971' date='Dec 30 2006, 01:00 AM']
It wouldn't have, but how would being trained to be a carpenter have helped Him with His mission?
[/quote]
It helped him support his mother....

Groo the Wanderer

I said 'could have' simply because He is God and God can do anything He wants :D:

That said, Jesus also COULD have, during His time on Earth, invented Velcro. started a basketball team, opened a fitness center, etc....but he didn't.

The question is a little silly, methinks :P:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1152138' date='Dec 30 2006, 11:55 AM']
I said 'could have' simply because He is God and God can do anything He wants :D:

That said, Jesus also COULD have, during His time on Earth, invented Velcro. started a basketball team, opened a fitness center, etc....but he didn't.

The question is a little silly, methinks :P:
[/quote]
That's sort of my take too. What is more interesting to me is the questions surrounding why G-d, praise be His Name, chose to come as He did.

Here is a good question, If Christ has a wife and/ or a child, where were they at the Curcifixtion, why werent they there at the foot of the Cross. Further, why did Jesus say Mother, behold your son and Desciple behold your Mother, and from that day for John took her into his home. Where was his wife and child during all this if he had one? It is illogial to assume he had a wife and child. The only logical explaination is that he was single.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1152138' date='Dec 30 2006, 10:55 AM']

[/quote]
I thought he did... Wasn't John a starting center for the Galilee Gospelspreaders? :unsure:

There was no way he could have been married and had a child, it wasn't the reason he came to this earth, marriage and a child would have been a distraction, and not useful. Jesus came to this Earth with the mission to save mankind of their sins.

[quote]Here is a good question, If Christ has a wife and/ or a child, where were they at the Curcifixtion, why werent they there at the foot of the Cross. Further, why did Jesus say Mother, behold your son and Desciple behold your Mother, and from that day for John took her into his home. Where was his wife and child during all this if he had one? It is illogial to assume he had a wife and child. The only logical explaination is that he was single.[/quote]

He didn't.... Holy Scripture are clear that He didn't for they name all His other close relatives such as His Immaculate Mother and His foster-father and His second and third cousins (Elisabeth and John the Baptist) and His aunt (Mary of Cleophas) and His first cousins (James, Joseph, Simon and Jude), and of course the reasons you have mentioned. The question of this poll was could He have.

I made this poll thinking it's in the realm of theological speculation.

Edited by StThomasMore

dairygirl4u2c

God can't choose to break His own rules. If you over think that too much, remember the "can god make a rock so big even he can't lift it?" answer. which needs elaborated on. but if you are familiar with the philosophy behind this. if you can say how jesus having kids is like god lifting rocks or whathave you, you may be on to something.

But I essentially agree with Laudate etc.

VeniteAdoremus

I'd say He couldn't, because marriage is totally exclusive. How could Jerusalem be the bride of the Lamb if He's already married? And that's not even touching on becoming "one of body and mind" with an aspect of the Trinity... how a human girl would manage that, I don't know.

Maybe my thinking is too simplistic, but really, I don't think He could.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1152307' date='Dec 30 2006, 04:45 PM']
He didn't.... Holy Scripture are clear that He didn't for they name all His other close relatives such as His Immaculate Mother and His foster-father and His second and third cousins (Elisabeth and John the Baptist) and His aunt (Mary of Cleophas) and His first cousins (James, Joseph, Simon and Jude), and of course the reasons you have mentioned. The question of this poll was could He have.

I made this poll thinking it's in the realm of theological speculation.
[/quote]
It's a little hard to see the point of this poll, since you agree He didn't.

If you mean "was it physically possible?" or something similar, of course. Jesus Christ, being True Man as well as True God, could have married and begat children, had He so chosen.
However, this was not part of His Divine Plan of Salvation, and in His Infinite Wisdom, He saw that it would be best not to leave blood descendents (contrary to Dan Brown, et al).

Christ (theoretically) [i]could have[/i] done many things (including defeating the Romans and making Himself a worldy King) which He did not. We should just trust in God's Infinite Wisdom.