An Old School Catholic Message Board

Application To Religious Life Process

philosophette

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1152461' date='Dec 30 2006, 08:40 PM']
I agree that I belive each community takes each person on there own merits.

The application for the Domminicans in Lockport was over 50 pages long, including medical, dental and eye exams.
There were questions I had to write out and others were just family info and such.
and of course you had to have a letter from your confessor and such.

Don't let any size of any application dunt you!
[/quote]
Are you entering the Lockport Dominicans?

AlterDominicus

Long shmong......its worth it! lol. :lol: :lol_roll: And this is coming from a person who hates longggg papers. But doesnt mind "writing" them.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='1152355' date='Dec 30 2006, 04:57 PM']
well its more about whether or not the community can "take" the person...if one is really sick and their medical attention costs alot of money...that could be a burden for the community.....

mainly the idea of the doctor visits is to see how healthy the person is and to see if they are capable to community chores and everyday activities!!! thats the main purpose!!!
[/quote]
I realize. I just thought it was funny. :pinch:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1152342' date='Dec 30 2006, 02:42 PM']
I know this isn't a joking matter but with the physical, dental exam, etc.... it sounds as if we're dogs. :ninja: You know how people choose specific breeders and have all of these things checked before making their purchase.. :unsure: okay, maybe not.
:tomato:
[/quote]

I remember when I was applying for the Sisters of Life, it was explained that it was, not only to make sure you are reasonably healthy, but also to provide a 'baseline' of health, in case that were to change, as you would be, God willing, visiting the doctor/dentist, etc. far less frequently than in the world.

passionheart

The Domincan nun's paperwork is about the same. Since I work in a dental office, that part was easy. I asked the dentist to keep everything quiet because at that time my application was a secret. The doctor that did my eye exam found the the part about religious life interesting. He spent most of the exam time asking questions about religious life.

However, the funniest was my doctor. Now because of my age she did send me for a mammogram. However, when she looked at the rather extensive medical form and she said the last time she filled out a form this extensive, the patient was moving to New Zealand :D: So she said if I am moving to New Zealand, you can use the same medical form!!!

The hardest part of the application which I need to finish soon is the spiritual autobiographical details. They have a lot of questions that require a lot of thought.

Well I first met with the sisters and then would visit once a month for a prayer day, and after a few months I was asked if I'd be interested in applying for the observer program (which is a live-in) and this the first part of the application process (that way if one is not accepted, then it doesn't take up the sisters or discerners time) This consisted of a series of questions (with both questionaires for observer program and candidate questions, they were pretty lengthy answers or essay type) biography, family/school background, submitting my school records and a letter from my priest, baptism/confirmation certificates, also during this time in my prayer days i would meet with the Novice mistress in the parlor and she began to have me fill out another candidate questionare which consisted of 200+ questions (which was quite a rewarding experience, alot of indepth questions) and I answered these over a series of weeks as I finished the application papers for the observer program, after submitting the application papers.

So I continued to go to my prayer days and patiently awaited until oneday, the Novice mistress said they wanted to fit me for my habit (observers wear a habit too) and so that was my answer to my accpetance into the observer program, and well for most it doesn't take long process, but for me due to my work I had to wait for my vacation several months in order to have time off to do the observer program, finally I entered the observer program.

After the observer program I was asked to continue the application process and we discussed possible entrance dates, and since I was a convert I still had to wait and also I still had school loan debts to pay, so I continued to attend my prayer days and morning prayers on saturdays, and the remaining part of the application consisted of dental, medical, submitting 2 photos, 2 copies of birthcertificate and so I got all the medicals done and submitted my final application papers, and have been accepted into the community.

For me it took more time as I was a convert and had a waiting period and also my school debt, but others have gone through the application/observer program and god-willing able to enter in only a few months time.

Hope this Helps!

God Bless You!

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1151822' date='Dec 29 2006, 09:49 PM']
I am interested in hearing what the forms, interviews, and so on were like for those of you who endured :saint: them.

Was it complicated? How long did it take you to take care of it all? Was anything difficult or unexpected?
[/quote]

Edited by TeresaAvila

[quote name='TeresaAvila' post='1157650' date='Jan 6 2007, 02:47 PM']
Well I first met with the sisters and then would visit once a month for a prayer day, and after a few months I was asked if I'd be interested in applying for the observer program (which is a live-in) and this the first part of the application process (that way if one is not accepted, then it doesn't take up the sisters or discerners time) This consisted of a series of questions, biography, family/school background, submitting my school records and a letter from my priest, baptism/confirmation certificates, also during this time in my prayer days i would meet with the Novice mistress in the parlor and she began to have me fill out another candidate questionare which consisted of 200+ questions (which was quite a rewarding experience, alot of indepth questions) and I answered these over a series of weeks as I finished the application papers for the observer program, after submitting the application papers (with both questionaires for observer program and candidate questions, they were pretty lengthy answer or essay) so I continued to go to my prayer days and patiently awaited until oneday, the Novice mistress said they wanted to fit me for my habit (observers wear a habit too) and so that was my answer to my accpetance into the observer program, and well for most it doesn't take long process, but for me due to my work I had to wait for my vacation several months in order to have time off to do the observer program, finally I entered the observer program.

After the observer program I was asked to continue the application process and we discussed possible entrance dates, and since I was a convert I still had to wait and also I still had school loan debts to pay, so I continued to attend my prayer days and morning prayers on saturdays, and the remaining part of the application consisted of dental, medical, submitting 2 photos, 2 copies of birthcertificate and so I got all the medicals done and submitted my final application papers, and have been accepted into the community.

For me it took more time as I was a convert and had a waiting period and also my school debt, but others have gone through the application/observer program and god-willing able to enter in only a few months time.

Hope this Helps!

God Bless You!
[/quote]

What community are you discerning with? I'm sorry, I either didn't catch that or I forgot. . . :wacko:

(I don't want to assume by your picture that it's with the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters. . .. )

Yes the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters is the community I'll soon be entering, sorry I forgot to mention the community in my post.

God Bless You!

[quote name='HisChild' post='1157652' date='Jan 6 2007, 04:51 PM']
What community are you discerning with? I'm sorry, I either didn't catch that or I forgot. . . :wacko:

(I don't want to assume by your picture that it's with the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters. . .. )
[/quote]

Woah you are entering the pink sisters...I love their convent in Philadelphia... :blush: I try to go to their chapel as often as I can...My prayers are with you!!

God Bless

For me because of the distance, there were many phone conversations and much emailing and writing before I ever met the sisters. All the paperwork, medical, references etc was completed before I went for my long visit. Then time spent at the convent and conversations with Mother. I was asked if I still wanted to come. My answer: As soon as possible. and so she said Come.

Thank God.