An Old School Catholic Message Board

Application To Religious Life Process

philosophette

philosophette

I am interested in hearing what the forms, interviews, and so on were like for those of you who endured :saint: them.

Was it complicated? How long did it take you to take care of it all? Was anything difficult or unexpected?

Well I just sent in my application to SMME a few weeks ago so it is pretty fresh for me :blink: It was pretty in depth but I expected it to be!

After meeting with Sr Joseph Andrew at the Nov retreat and having been in touch with her via email for a few months she gave me my papers and it took me a good couple of weeks to get through them.
You need to have a physical, eye exam, dental exam, psych exam. Then you need to fill out a medical form yourself, get copies of all your highschool and post secondary transcripts as well as any other certificates you might have, you need to prove you have medical coverage, you need to get a letter from your pastor or confessor and you need to fill out a personal info package that is realllllly long. This covers all those introspective questions like why the religious life, why this community, what are your strengths/weaknesses etc. I think that about covers it???

And now I wait and wait lol!

Being a Canadian I also have to get special medical insurance, figure out my passport and get a religious workers visa which I have yet to attempt and I am sure will be lots of fun haha!

Hope this helps :D:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1152047' date='Dec 30 2006, 08:43 AM']
Why never mind? :idontknow:
[/quote]

Sorry. I had explained the OLAM process but I decided to edit my post because it's a little different for everyone. God bless :)

I would agree with Lauren....it is different for everyperson..only because it depends on the person's needs and/or how the Sisters/priests whom ever would like to approach the idea/process with the person!

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='1152182' date='Dec 30 2006, 11:46 AM']
I would agree with Lauren....it is different for everyperson..only because it depends on the person's needs and/or how the Sisters/priests whom ever would like to approach the idea/process with the person!
[/quote]
I meant at OLAM. You meet with the council but that is pretty much it... the number of visits depends on the person at OLAM, but at most places there is a much more defined system for applicants :)

Edited by Totus Tuus

doctor visits is generally a requirement......dental, physical....etc......the council are those who decide if the person is allowed to enter.....generally made up of the vd, superior, formation director and a few other people....sometimes that is generaly the council.....however i am just speaking out of what i know and not for lauren!!!

franciscanheart

I know this isn't a joking matter but with the physical, dental exam, etc.... it sounds as if we're dogs. :ninja: You know how people choose specific breeders and have all of these things checked before making their purchase.. :unsure: okay, maybe not.

:tomato:

well its more about whether or not the community can "take" the person...if one is really sick and their medical attention costs alot of money...that could be a burden for the community.....

mainly the idea of the doctor visits is to see how healthy the person is and to see if they are capable to community chores and everyday activities!!! thats the main purpose!!!

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1151822' date='Dec 29 2006, 09:49 PM']
I am interested in hearing what the forms, interviews, and so on were like for those of you who endured :saint: them.

Was it complicated? How long did it take you to take care of it all? Was anything difficult or unexpected?
[/quote]

+

Let's see...

I went to the October SMME retreat in 2005. I asked for my papers that weekend and SJA gave them to me. I had the written portion filled-out before I left the shack the next night! I flew home, had the dental, medical, psychological exams -no big deal there, an hour each. Then, I had my priest and employer write letters of recommendation. I sent all of it in and got the call from SJA a few weeks later (in December)! Then came the REALLY hard part -waiting for August! As long as you've been taking care of yourself physically and acting responsibly, there shouldn't be any problem.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1152205' date='Dec 30 2006, 12:56 PM']
What is the council, Lauren? Did you have to have a physical, dental exam, fill out paper work, etc?
[/quote]
The Council= Reverend Mother (Angelica), Mother Vicar, and three councillors.

Paperwork- only a two page questionnaire, mostly concerning family background, etc.
Medical- Yes, a basic medical exam is required. They give you a small form to fill out.

At OLAM, Mothe Vicar (the acting superior for Reverend Mother) will ask the sisters how they liked the aspirant who visited/is visiting during lesson time. She also meets with her personally, and if the girl is interested in entering Mother Vicar will meet with her again. If she asks to enter, she then meets with the council, or, in some cases, is asked to come back for a second visit. This happened to me only because I wasn't old enough to enter when I started visiting, but most girls who are physically and emotionally prepared for religious life are accepted on their first visit if they are already 18+

Edited by Totus Tuus

DiscerningSoul

I agree that I belive each community takes each person on there own merits.

The application for the Domminicans in Lockport was over 50 pages long, including medical, dental and eye exams.
There were questions I had to write out and others were just family info and such.
and of course you had to have a letter from your confessor and such.

Don't let any size of any application dunt you!