An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are You A Trinitarian Or An Arian

Resurrexi

Are you a Trinitarian or an Arian?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am a Trinitarian, and I believe all the Dogmata of the Holy Catholic Church concerning the Blessed Trinity, as well as in all other matters.

What do you believe concerning the Blessed Trinity?

[quote name='Maria' post='1151676' date='Dec 29 2006, 07:30 PM']
STM, I don't think we have a lot of mormons and JW's visiting.
[/quote]As I understand it, JW's and Mormons are neither Trinitarian nor Arian. ???

JW's believe Jesus is Michael the Archangel.

Mormons believe Jesus and Lucifer (aka Satan) are brothers.

----------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

exquisitebones

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1151849' date='Dec 29 2006, 09:10 PM']
Talk about weird.
[/quote]

yeah... you think thats all thats weird about them.. try me.. my father in law is a JW..... NUTS! thats all i am saying.

he came into [b]my[/b] house, took one look at the crucifix on the wall above the dining room... and says "[i]you know Jesus was not crucified on a cross, right... it was a long pole."[u][/u][/i] and i am like... WUT?

jeeeez. dont even get me started on JW's.... :pinch:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='exquisitebones' post='1151997' date='Dec 30 2006, 02:13 AM']
yeah... you think thats all thats weird about them.. try me.. my father in law is a JW..... NUTS! thats all i am saying.

he came into [b]my[/b] house, took one look at the crucifix on the wall above the dining room... and says "[i]you know Jesus was not crucified on a cross, right... it was a long pole."[u][/u][/i] and i am like... WUT?

jeeeez. dont even get me started on JW's.... :pinch:
[/quote]
:lol: Yeah, they have some very creative views. There's only one problem with their view on the Crucifixion. St. Paul said that He died with the gesture of an eternal priest...that is, arms outstretched, not arms held up over and behind the head. Furthermore, we see prefigurements...Moses had to hold his arms out during the battle of Israel. This has long been interpreted as a sign so that the Father would look on Moses and see the cross and pour out the graces needed in view of what the battle would ultimately lead to: the freedom of Israel, thus the lineage of Jesus, thus the cross. Also, the Prophet Elijah, upon seeing the widow's dead son, spread out his arms and laid on top of him, praying for him to be restored to life...this also is a form of the cross...that in the sign of the cross, God could heal even before Christ was crucified in time. As for the Greek text, it's ambiguous at best.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' post='1152117' date='Dec 30 2006, 10:31 AM']
:lol: Yeah, they have some very creative views. There's only one problem with their view on the Crucifixion. St. Paul said that He died with the gesture of an eternal priest...that is, arms outstretched, not arms held up over and behind the head. Furthermore, we see prefigurements...Moses had to hold his arms out during the battle of Israel. This has long been interpreted as a sign so that the Father would look on Moses and see the cross and pour out the graces needed in view of what the battle would ultimately lead to: the freedom of Israel, thus the lineage of Jesus, thus the cross. Also, the Prophet Elijah, upon seeing the widow's dead son, spread out his arms and laid on top of him, praying for him to be restored to life...this also is a form of the cross...that in the sign of the cross, God could heal even before Christ was crucified in time. As for the Greek text, it's ambiguous at best.
[/quote]
I've also heard that the layout of the tribes of Israel camped around the tabernacle makes a cross (from the air, of course).

Yeah, I love John's writings, espeically the Comma Johanneum.

[quote] The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are homoousius, of the same substance. [/quote]

Yes, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are consubstantial.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1152132' date='Dec 30 2006, 10:49 AM']
I've also heard that the layout of the tribes of Israel camped around the tabernacle makes a cross (from the air, of course).
[/quote]
Hmmm...that would be interesting. I want to look into that.

Knight of the Holy Rosary

[quote]Mormons believe Jesus and Lucifer (aka Satan) are brothers.[/quote]

:huh:

I have never heard about the Mormon view of Jesus..... Where in the world did they get this masterpeice????

Edited by Knight of the Holy Rosary

I am trinitarian, but the closest thing I would have to heresy here is that in the process of trinitarian development I sometimes have issues acknowledging the spirit in the same way that I acknowledge the father and son. I dont confess different, but sometimes our theological language and focus either turns the spirit into some sort of hippy essence not personified as the father and son, or as some sort of divine puppy along for a ride with daddy and boy

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1152939' date='Dec 31 2006, 02:22 PM']
:huh:
I have never heard about the Mormon view of Jesus..... Where in the world did they get this masterpeice????
[/quote]
I know, it reminds me of the Osiris myth (among others). I've heard that Joseph Smith was heavily into pagan myths and jazz so maybe that was the inspiration? :idontknow: