An Old School Catholic Message Board

Politics

Akalyte

I'm done with politics. For good. I just got into a huge argument with my liberal democrat father in law. He went as far as to say Jesus was on the "far left" and a"communist". He was defending clinton and the democratic party saying the next president is going to be a woman (hillary). He claims "no good" can be found in the republican party. I told him, there is good and bad in both parties and he just kept yelling at me saying there is no good in that party. saying the republican party is a party of skin heads. :maddest: I defended Christ and the church and he just kept on. :( Him calling Jesus a liberal made me very angry and upset. this guy goes to mass every sunday and recieves communion.

Edited by Akalyte

kenrockthefirst

Jesus' Kingdom is not of this world. He is not a registered member of any political party. As Abraham Lincoln asked, "it is not is God on my side, but am I on God's side?"

dairygirl4u2c

It's best to understand the flaws in both parties. Recognize people who are fundamentalist to their party line. People who lack critical thinking and can't see shades of gray or beyond the tripe run in ads and rhetoric on both sides. Recognize that we all have that problem, to a degree. Let it go when you recognize someone is like that. Push them enough to change if you need, but don't dwell for the sake of arguing. People need to understand uncertainty, but a lot do not or do not like to admit it, such as in economic arguments etc when experts will be the first to show you the uncertaines etc.

Of course, if you think I'm militant in between, genuinely, what can I say. It's politics.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1150649' date='Dec 27 2006, 07:56 PM']
I'm done with politics. For good. I just got into a huge argument with my liberal democrat father in law. He went as far as to say Jesus was on the "far left" and a"communist". He was defending clinton and the democratic party saying the next president is going to be a woman (hillary). He claims "no good" can be found in the republican party. I told him, there is good and bad in both parties and he just kept yelling at me saying there is no good in that party. saying the republican party is a party of skin heads. :maddest: I defended Christ and the church and he just kept on. :( Him calling Jesus a liberal made me very angry and upset. this guy goes to mass every sunday and recieves communion.
[/quote]
How many times have you said "I'm done with politics!"?? :lol:

Your father-in-law sounds like an idiot. He apparently has no desire to listen to reason, so it is probably best to shake the dust from your feet and not waste more time with him unless he shows some genuine willingness to change.

This should not be reason to abandon the conservative cause, though. Do what you can to fight for what's right - vote for the right people, etc - but don't let yourself get dragged down in this. Some people just stubbornly refuse to use reason, and trying to reason with them is a waste of time.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1150717' date='Dec 27 2006, 10:29 PM']
How many times have you said "I'm done with politics!"?? :lol:

Your father-in-law sounds like an idiot. He apparently has no desire to listen to reason, so it is probably best to shake the dust from your feet and not waste more time with him unless he shows some genuine willingness to change.

This should not be reason to abandon the conservative cause, though. Do what you can to fight for what's right - vote for the right people, etc - but don't let yourself get dragged down in this. Some people just stubbornly refuse to use reason, and trying to reason with them is a waste of time.
[/quote]

yeah that's true :lol_roll: Its just so very frustrating.