An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dr. Phil

MrsFrozen

homeschoolmom
:ohno: both? guilty pleasure?

I don't watch it anymore. He did a show on "The Homeschooling Debate" that was completely one-sided. He, like all talk show hosts, just sort of exploits his guests.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1150125' date='Dec 26 2006, 08:53 PM']

I don't watch it anymore. He did a show on "The Homeschooling Debate" that was completely one-sided. He, like all talk show hosts, just sort of exploits his guests.
[/quote]

What did he say about it?

I don't really watch it, but I've seen a few episodes. My biggest problem is that he doesn't actually do much on that show. It shows like a 4-6 min video clip of their guest, he talks for about 30 seconds to maybe max 2 mins, then maybe another video clip, commerical, repeat. I bet after the whole show is done, 1 hour, he talks for maybe a max of 10-12 mins.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1150125' date='Dec 26 2006, 10:53 PM']

[/quote]

Do you post on Pregnancy Weekly?

He was a little one-sided with the Homeschooling thing. He seemed harsher with the unschooling. I think he's getting a little too liberal for me.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1150136' date='Dec 26 2006, 11:05 PM']
I don't watch, but I heard him quoted as being very pro-homosexual. Just a liberal quack/media personality, imo.
[/quote]

I thought he was pretty neutral on this issue?

homeschoolmom

Um.. well, from what I've read about the HS episode (it was pre-empted here and we didn't get to see it) there were like four segments in this "debate"
1. Radical unschoolers (who were presented as "homeschoolers") who let their kids run around and do whatever they want to all the time
2. A couple with small childen-- the wife wanted to HS because she was scared of school shootings.
3. A former HSer who felt like a social misfit (at age 26) because she was isolated from other kids growing up
4. Member of teacher's union saying how horrible HSing is.

Some debate. <_<

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1150260' date='Dec 27 2006, 01:59 AM']
Um.. well, from what I've read about the HS episode (it was pre-empted here and we didn't get to see it) there were like four segments in this "debate"
1. Radical unschoolers (who were presented as "homeschoolers") who let their kids run around and do whatever they want to all the time
2. A couple with small childen-- the wife wanted to HS because she was scared of school shootings.
3. A former HSer who felt like a social misfit (at age 26) because she was isolated from other kids growing up
4. Member of teacher's union saying how horrible HSing is.

Some debate. <_<
[/quote]

It definitely could have been fairer to HSers. He did explain the difference between homeschoolers and unschoolers. From what I remember, there were some reasonable HSers. There was a former HSer who felt like a social misfit ( :huh: ) but also a woman with homeschooled kids who were very well adjusted and educated. I plan on HSing for the early years (through 4th grade) to get that foundation in. I got the feeling that the public school teachers they had on there felt threatened by HSing. Do you think public schools feel threatened by HSing?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1150421' date='Dec 27 2006, 10:24 AM']
I like how he tells people to be accountable for their actions. Rare these days.
[/quote]
Yeah, in that way, I do like him... "And how's that working for you?" is a great line. But I think he's overstepped his areas of expertise (dieting? "The Dr. Phil House?" )

[quote name='MrsFrozen' post='1150290' date='Dec 27 2006, 06:37 AM']
It definitely could have been fairer to HSers. He did explain the difference between homeschoolers and unschoolers. From what I remember, there were some reasonable HSers. There was a former HSer who felt like a social misfit ( :huh: ) but also a woman with homeschooled kids who were very well adjusted and educated. I plan on HSing for the early years (through 4th grade) to get that foundation in. I got the feeling that the public school teachers they had on there felt threatened by HSing. Do you think public schools feel threatened by HSing?
[/quote]

I can't speak for all teachers, but I used to teach 3rd grade, and I was/am in no way threatened by homeschooling. I wish the parents had been more involved period! One parent did decide to homeschool her child, and I wish her the best. No hard feelings from me.

My aunt homeschools her boys, and they are all incredibly intelligent and well socialized. :) In fact, whenever we have children we'll either do Catholic school or homeschool. Homeschool for the early years, that is, since I'm not sure I could do higher grades! :)