An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teetotalers?

scardella

cmotherofpirl

which explanation?

Fruit skin is covered with bacteria. As soon as you start crushing fruit or let it sit out and ripen the bacteria start the fermentation process unless you boil it and cover it and chill it. If you leave it sit long enough it eventually turns to vinegar.
So if I miss grapes on my grapevines, after awhile my yard smells like a winery and the birds have a field day, especally the pigeons.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1153477' date='Jan 1 2007, 10:36 AM']
which explanation?

Fruit skin is covered with bacteria. As soon as you start crushing fruit or let it sit out and ripen the bacteria start the fermentation process unless you boil it and cover it and chill it. If you leave it sit long enough it eventually turns to vinegar.
So if I miss grapes on my grapevines, after awhile my yard smells like a winery and the birds have a field day, especally the pigeons.
[/quote]

NO! THIS ONE:
Back when I was a fundamentalist, the water-to-wine miracle either wasn't talked about at all or there was some way to redefine the wine as something non-alcoholic. For example some sort of raisin paste.

NEXT TIME3 I WILL MAKE SURE TO ADD A 500 WORD TREATISE ON EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Staretz' post='1153507' date='Jan 1 2007, 10:06 AM']
NEXT TIME3 I WILL MAKE SURE TO ADD A 500 WORD TREATISE ON EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT IN EXCRUCIATING DETAIL.
[/quote]
:huh:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Staretz' post='1153507' date='Jan 1 2007, 11:06 AM']
NO! THIS ONE:
Back when I was a fundamentalist, the water-to-wine miracle either wasn't talked about at all or there was some way to redefine the wine as something non-alcoholic. For example some sort of raisin paste.

[/quote]
or maybe drop the attitude and actually quote what you are replying to.

Teetotalling for religious reasons is one "tradition of men" which had a very recent origin -- there was no unfermented grape juice until Welch developed it in 1869. This article points out that unfermented grape juice does not break old wineskins. :P:

[url="http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.asp/file/99906.qna/category/ch/page/questions/site/iiim"]http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.as...tions/site/iiim[/url]

Jay

------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1153517' date='Jan 1 2007, 10:49 AM']
Teetotalling for religious reasons is one "tradition of men" which had a very recent origin -- there was no unfermented grape juice until Welch developed it in 1869. This article points out that unfermented grape juice does not break old wineskins. :P:

[url="http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.asp/file/99906.qna/category/ch/page/questions/site/iiim"]http://www.thirdmill.org/answers/answer.as...tions/site/iiim[/url]

Jay

------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!
[/quote]

BOOYA! :D:

Out of curiosity I was just looking on the SBC site to see if anything's changed in the Baptist church since I left. At first it was saying that you can't deny that the people in the Bible drank fermented wine, but later on it says they also prevented fermentation through various techniques. While some may have done this, I'd probably argue against it. Guess it's the archaeologist in me, but I've studied so much about Egyptians making wine and beer, and of course the Romans were masters of making wine. Since Jesus lived during the Roman Empire, and Judea was a Roman province, it makes sense that they would be using true wine. At least it makes sense to me.

I have absolutely no problem with those who choose to abstain. I have great admiration for my uncle, who is a teetotaler due to the fact that he once battled an alcohol addiction; his children also abstain out of respect for him. I just enjoy a good whiskey now and then. :)

Lounge Daddy

what is a "Teetotaler"
I had to look it up in my Webster's

So my 'sis is sXe... does that include her as a "Teetotaler"?
I guess I'm not familiar with the term.

I considered myself sXe when I was younger - right until I started happily drinking my way into alcoholism
Now I guess I can consider myself sXe again – lol!
Am I also a "teetotaler" now???

Anyhoo… I guess the question is this:
Is someone a “teetotaler” for health reasons, strict moral reasons, family reasons?
Or is this like “straight edge” and maybe any of the above reasons?

"teetotaler" has the connotation of movements which said alcohol was immoral. I always thought calling anyone without a moral conviction against alcohol who did not drink a 'teetotaler' was tongue-in-cheek... at least that's how i'd use it ("you're such a teetotaler" har har)

I also used to think it was spelled teatotaler and was related to tea, as in they totally drink tea. maybe I'm wrong on the etymology haha... but that's what I thought.. cause it seems to me that the word relates to some sort of anglophone elitist movement who would, in fact, replace all occassions for alcohol with an occasion for tea.

anyway, I think the common mindset around the word "teetotaller" is that it is one who is opposed to the drinking of alcohol, not merely one who personally abstains. I'm almost certain the origin of the word refers to those who are opposed to drinking alcohol by anyone ever, at least.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1147522' date='Dec 22 2006, 03:35 PM']well really, anything other than basic food and water is unnecessary. Some things we partake of not because they are necessary, but because of some other benefit they confer. Chocolate would fall into this same category of things that are enjoyable but not necessary. [/quote]
like wine :drool: i love to go to spokane to do the wine tours with my sister - it's so much fun and really, you can't get drunk!

[quote name='ReinnieR' post='1148024' date='Dec 23 2006, 07:44 AM']The front says, "Catholics, we drink beer."
The back says, "Catholics, picking up the slack of our protestant brethren since 1517."[/quote]awesome! :lol:

i find a alchohol in moderation helps people say that which they are normally too shy to say. nothing that you would say under the influence is something that you dont secretly think anyays.

moderation is the key, though at times i like to indulge, though never so much as to vomit or pass out or anything. and i would never ever drive drunk

cmotherofpirl

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There's laughter, cheer, and good red wine;
At least I have always found it so--
Benedicamos Domino!
--Hillaire Belloc

[quote]I was just curious, since I've never met anyone of this vintage...

Why do y'all think drinking even a little is bad?
[/quote]

I feel that they might be missing out on a smashing great draft...However, these men and women will never have to deal with the tempations that those who do consume alcohol (responsbibly of course).

Such is the same of the Buddhist mentality, which believes that overconsumption of alcohol that brings an inibriated state is not nessessary, and many drink to achieve that state. So, you don't want what you don't have and you don't have want you don't want, if you don't have alcohol you don't need drunkeness and if you don't have drunkeness you don't have alcohol.

I guess teetotaling could be a good and a bad thing. Depends on your outlook.[b] As for the exchange of the wine of the Eucharist in the mass, thats ridiculous, because the Scriptures state [i]wine[/i].[/b]

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

cathoholic_anonymous

I don't drink at all because even a small amount could make the symptoms of my disability worse. (My symptoms include a dangerous level of clumsiness and an abnormally weak short-term memory.) I can't walk in a straight line to start with and my depth perception is so impaired that I sometimes see patterned staircases as flat. I don't think alcohol would help with this.

Plus, one of my grandmothers became an alcoholic after the death of my grandfather, so I have some bad memories of what alcohol can do to people when it all goes wrong. It's enough to scare you away from alcohol forever. Then I went to university and saw the way many students treated alcohol, getting drunk, stealing shopping trolleys, and throwing up all over the street. Once I slipped in a pool of vomit and fell over. :annoyed: I'm not even curious about alcohol now. I suppose it's a matter of personal choice and you have to listen to your own conscience.