An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teetotalers?

scardella

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1148018' date='Dec 23 2006, 03:03 PM']
:lol_pound: welcome to phatmass.
[/quote]

Thanks. I was actually on here a few years ago when I was converting, and now I'm back. I tell ya, I find more reasons to love being Catholic every day, and to see the beauty in our Church. :)

[quote name='scardella' post='1148131' date='Dec 23 2006, 05:51 PM']
The funny thing is that I've been fairly universally told that the wine back then was STRONGER, not weaker. That was the initial reason they would mix water in with the wine (before consecration, obviously, because after, it's blood...).
[/quote]

It was quite a bit stronger, and a bit thicker, I believe. That is why they mixed it with water regularly (not sure if that's why they did it at consecration, though). I've heard just about every other explanation during my time as a Southern Baptist, including the "weaker wine" argument. :)

Being Italian and German, with some Jewish ancestry, I see no problem with drinking alcohol occasionally. However, teetotaling is very admirable if you are called to it and I know there are times when it is required (i.e. if someone is an alcoholic or during the 9 mos. of pregnancy, etc. ) I intend to drink when I'm old enough but I'm not going to go crazy with it. Moderation is the key :)

Back when I was a fundamentalist, the water-to-wine miracle either wasn't talked about at all or there was some way to redefine the wine as something non-alcoholic. For example some sort of raisin paste.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Staretz' post='1149979' date='Dec 26 2006, 05:23 PM']
Back when I was a fundamentalist, the water-to-wine miracle either wasn't talked about at all or there was some way to redefine the wine as something non-alcoholic. For example some sort of raisin paste.
[/quote]
That still wouldn't work, warm weather and water [rain] added to any fruit causes the bacteria on the skin to start fermentation. Thus the annual spectacle in front of my house of pigeons drunk on the fermented mulberries.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1149979' date='Dec 26 2006, 05:23 PM']
[/quote]
Raisin paste??!! :blink:

A likely story! :rolleyes:

I think the church my mom was raised in basically frowned on any alcohol use, too.
However, this teetotaler stuff usually believed by "Bible Christians" is definitely an Unbiblical Tradition of Men.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1149979' date='Dec 26 2006, 04:23 PM']
[/quote]

What is there to support that it is not actually alcoholic?

Am I correct in saying that in Acts 2:13 they use the same terminology for the wine as in John 2:9?

I am mostly against alcohol for myself. I have a family history of alcoholism so thats one strike against its use, plus most people rebel against their parents a bit, well my rebellion came in the form of avoiding alcohol, doing good in school and finding religion (It was the best a rebellion could go).

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1150007' date='Dec 26 2006, 06:22 PM']
That still wouldn't work, warm weather and water [rain] added to any fruit causes the bacteria on the skin to start fermentation. Thus the annual spectacle in front of my house of pigeons drunk on the fermented mulberries.
[/quote]

I didn't think so :lol_roll:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Staretz' post='1153435' date='Jan 1 2007, 09:56 AM']
I didn't think so :lol_roll:
[/quote]
you really are not trying to disagree that water and fermenting fruit eventually make alcohol are you?

[quote name='scardella' post='1150441' date='Dec 27 2006, 06:03 PM']
What is there to support that it is not actually alcoholic?

Am I correct in saying that in Acts 2:13 they use the same terminology for the wine as in John 2:9?
[/quote]

I'm not aware of anything actually. People usually gave up arguing with me when I pointing out the narrative in Genesis where Noah gets drunk off of wine. They could never answer me how Noah could get drunk off of non-alcoholic wine. :)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1153460' date='Jan 1 2007, 10:22 AM']
you really are not trying to disagree that water and fermenting fruit eventually make alcohol are you?
[/quote]

I am saying that i didnt think that the explanation I heard made any sense.