An Old School Catholic Message Board

Faith Healers..

exquisitebones

exquisitebones
:detective: Faith Healers?
you know the miracle workers? I was watching a blip off the 700 club :lol_roll: and they were doing a quick thing on miracle workers.

how they can touch you and then you are healed of all that ails you....

Me personally, i dont really understand it or believe it...
but what do you think.

is there merit to this?

exquisitebones

[quote name='prose' post='1146551' date='Dec 20 2006, 11:55 AM']
Ask the people who have been healed ;)
[/quote]

i guess that makes sense, but i am saying it seems a little shifty, a bunch of full of themselves televangellists touching people and healing them and exorcising their demons.
it jsut seems a little off to me..
but.. i wanted more views on the subject

MissScripture

I believe in miracles, but not just some guy on tv repeatedly patting someone on the head and saying "You're healed!" Those do seem a bit questionable to me...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='exquisitebones' post='1146543' date='Dec 20 2006, 02:35 PM']
:detective: Faith Healers?
you know the miracle workers? I was watching a blip off the 700 club :lol_roll: and they were doing a quick thing on miracle workers.

how they can touch you and then you are healed of all that ails you....

Me personally, i dont really understand it or believe it...
but what do you think.

is there merit to this?
[/quote]
I want to see the before and after X rays and medical reports first.

When the Church declares something a miracle it is first verified by the Church that no natural excplanation is possible by independent scientists, and the miracles is not some temporary recovery.

Groo the Wanderer

Lemme tell ye about my father-in-law. Many moons ago, he had an accident that messed up his shoulder pretty badly. On top of it the surgeon that was supposed to fix it cut the wrong tendons. End result: constant pain and an inability to lift his arm over his head.

He's been to faith healers and to the various evangelists passing thru his church (AofG). All of them, including his pastor laid hands on him and pronounced healing over him. In most cases the pain went away and he regained some range of motion....for a time. None has been permanent.

Seems to me the human mind is pretty powerful. I believe that if the one being 'healed' believes hard enough, it will happen...for a time. The mind has a great capacity for pain suppression and muscle control.

I tend only to believe in those miracles the Church has ruled are worthy or belief or those I have seen myself.

Faith healers? Not for me. Apparitions of Mary and other saints? Now yer talking!

I've watched Benny Hinn quite a few times on TV [this is just my personal opinion here, not picking on the man because of any denomination he might belong to...and what denomination is he?]

What I see is this: He starts by giving the audience simple commands: clap, sit, stand, wave. etc...he preaches and the music becomes more entangled and louder. The emotion builds to a pitch and he's in control. When someone is brought on stage, notice the interaction. The person is already in a very high state of emotion. He controls the person very carefully. Sometimes he will almost break the person emotionally by walking towards and then away from him. Sometimes he walks striaght up and "lays" his hands on him. I think he reads people well enough and can determine which ones he has immediate control over and which ones he needs to play a little longer on stage.

These are just my opinions and from someone who is very skeptical.

exquisitebones

i agree with you all really.. i think its really just mind tricks and psychology. i took a few psych classes, and what i learned from jsut a few... is that the mind is very bendable and its easy to manipulate people.
and the palcebo effect...if you believe it hard enough it happens...
but how long does that last??

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='exquisitebones' post='1146944' date='Dec 21 2006, 01:56 PM']
i agree with you all really.. i think its really just mind tricks and psychology. i took a few psych classes, and what i learned from jsut a few... is that the mind is very bendable and its easy to manipulate people.
and the palcebo effect...if you believe it hard enough it happens...
but how long does that last??
[/quote]
If there were as many miracles as claimed by these people, nobody would ever go to a doctor again. God can cure who He wills, but I do not believe its an everyday occurance, or it would no longer be a miracle.

I would like to see these people start supplying x rays.

[quote name='exquisitebones' post='1146560' date='Dec 20 2006, 02:02 PM']
i guess that makes sense, but i am saying it seems a little shifty, a bunch of full of themselves televangellists touching people and healing them and exorcising their demons.
it jsut seems a little off to me..
but.. i wanted more views on the subject
[/quote]

Have you read the book of Acts? where the Peter, Paul, and everyone did these such acts? if you're having trouble believing this then I recommend doing a deep form of committment to find understanding in this matter. my friend. :cool: :) Its possible and yes it can happen. But yes of course its always best to do the research and find out if its creditable or not. because the people who have posted before have made good points about how it can be temperary.

Edited by White Knight

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='White Knight' post='1147317' date='Dec 22 2006, 04:09 AM']
Have you read the book of Acts? where the Peter, Paul, and everyone did these such acts? if you're having trouble believing this then I recommend doing a deep form of committment to find understanding in this matter. my friend. :cool: :) Its possible and yes it can happen. But yes of course its always best to do the research and find out if its creditable or not. because the people who have posted before have made good points about how it can be temperary.
[/quote]
I certainly have trouble believing it. I think these people are at best a joke and at worst commiting blasphemy and sacrilege.

When I was a child, a friend of my mother's was allegedly healed of poor vision by a forerunner of Benny Hinn's named A.A. Allen. She "claimed her healing" and threw her glasses away, which were as thick as the bottom of a Coke bottle. (You can tell how long ago this was -- Coke actually came in bottles.) Three days later, she asked my mother to help her look for her glasses. The "healing" didn't take. "I didn't have enough faith," said said, blaming herself. But three days earlier, Allen's audience believed a miraculous healing had taken place and praised God for it.

Dateline NBC did an exposé of Benny Hinn's healing ministry and another of where the money goes that he collects. Both programs were appalling.

I remember when "healer" Oral Roberts claimed God had told him he would die unless he raised $8 million for his university in Tulsa. "If you want me to live, send me your money. My life is in your hands," he said. I call it spiritual extortion.

I'm with Cmom. Show me the before and after Xrays or lab tests.

Jay

-------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!