An Old School Catholic Message Board

War Supporters

catholicinsd

War Support and Enlistment.  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Groo the Wanderer

I support the War on Terror. I have not enlisted because I am too old and too fat.

(and don't waste yer time starting in on the whole Iraq isn't part of the War in terror carp - it is, but we haven't exactly fought it like we wanna win it)

I would like you to explain please, how exactly one can support the troops without supporting what they do? They ARE their mission. BTW - the CINC counts as a troop too, as he is in the chain of command...

homeschoolmom

This poll would make a lot more sense if there were a draft and people were having to go against their will. Since no one is having to go against their will, what difference does it make if I enlisted?

My brother in law is a US Soldier, in Iraq. From what he's told me, the media over here has been doing a whole lot of lieing. Yeah they are playing that ol' trick of "getting the otherside pissed off by telling lies in the news" He recently had two weeks to be home in the states, i talked to him for a while and he said he got a letter from a iraqi child thanking him for being there and asking him not to leave.

He said 90% of the Iraqi people want the US to continue doing their job there, they are happy we are there helping them. I'll trust the soldiers words over any media outlet in this land of confusion. Especially knowing most of the media outlets side with commies and terrorists. From what he told me, the soldiers are getting mighty tired of all the people over here trashing them over there.

I'm on again off again on how much I support the war, so I said no. I have not enlisted, but one of my best friends did. I saw her this weekend and she had a really interesting story. So she's on leave, just got out of training, is a 2nd Lt. in the Nurse Corps. She was having dinner with her father's family (staunch conservatives) who support the war, but they didn't like that she'd enlisted. They wanted to 'save Iraq/Afganistan' (their words), but they didn't want to send their own kid. I think that's what this poll is getting at. Lots of Republicans (and others) are for the war, but under no circumstances would be willing to go fight it.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1145329' date='Dec 19 2006, 01:26 AM']
If you support sending our boys and girls to a War, wich they may never return, why won't sign up to do the same?[/quote]

If your point is someone that supports the war must also sign up, then so should those that are against it. Because it would seem your making the charge that only troops can have an justifiable view.

[quote name='track2004' post='1145329' date='Dec 19 2006, 02:06 AM']
I'm on again off again on how much I support the war, so I said no. I have not enlisted, but one of my best friends did. I saw her this weekend and she had a really interesting story. So she's on leave, just got out of training, is a 2nd Lt. in the Nurse Corps. She was having dinner with her father's family (staunch conservatives) who support the war, but they didn't like that she'd enlisted. They wanted to 'save Iraq/Afganistan' (their words), but they didn't want to send their own kid. I think that's what this poll is getting at. Lots of Republicans (and others) are for the war, but under no circumstances would be willing to go fight it.
[/quote]

Using a hand full of people you know to paint millions of people wow. One family you know can not be used to judge an entire group of people. Try again...

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1145100' date='Dec 18 2006, 02:22 PM']
I support the War on Terror. I have not enlisted because I am too old and too fat.

(and don't waste yer time starting in on the whole Iraq isn't part of the War in terror carp - it is, but we haven't exactly fought it like we wanna win it)

I would like you to explain please, how exactly one can support the troops without supporting what they do? They ARE their mission. BTW - the CINC counts as a troop too, as he is in the chain of command...
[/quote]

I support the troops, but not the cause.

Recently, a friend of mine's Godchild (the Godchild's brother goes to my school, too) was KIA in Iraq (I don't have the specifics, all I know is that it was on night patrol somewhere in Iraq). He knew what he was getting into when he enlisted, but came to the conclusion that Army service was his only choice (as he figured that community college would be a waste of time, and the university he wished to attend was far too expensive, and the whole 'pay for college with service' deal was far too great to pass up). He was only in Iraq for a month before he was shot. He was a great patriot and a good guy in the community; everybody loved his charity, and, when he was in high school, his amazing Football skills. The troops are Bush's pawns in an Oil War (that's what it gets down to, at the most basic level), and doing their best to get by. He saw that America needed help through a time of turmoil, and laid his life on the table in order to do his country service. Unfortunately, he did not see that a match was also on the table, ready to burn the cardboard that lay before it.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1145372' date='Dec 19 2006, 02:02 AM']
If your point is someone that supports the war must also sign up, then so should those that are against it. Because it would seem your making the charge that only troops can have an justifiable view.

[/quote]

No, I'm saying its hypocritical to send someone to do a dangerous job, that you want done, but you yourself won't do.

[quote name='track2004' post='1145329' date='Dec 19 2006, 01:06 AM']
Lots of Republicans (and others) are for the war, but under no circumstances would be willing to go fight it.
[/quote]

Exactly

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1145100' date='Dec 18 2006, 04:22 PM']
[/quote]
It is quite possible. My father had a job that made him miserable for about 30 years. I supported him, but I didn't support what he had to do (and neither did he).

It goes the same way...and the soldiers are not their mission. Their mission is what they do as soldiers, not part of their ontology. My fiancee's brother is serving in Korea right now; we support him, but not the war.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='cowsgomoo' post='1145386' date='Dec 19 2006, 02:19 AM']
The troops are Bush's pawns in an Oil War (that's what it gets down to, at the most basic level),
[/quote]

This is without a doubt one of the dumbest things I have ever seen you type. Yer smarter than that. Quit falling for the carp the MSM tosses at ya.

Oil war. Right. That's why gas prices are higher than ever, cause we are stealing so much free Iraqi oil. Right.

Pawns. An all-volunteer armed service and you call them pawns? I think you owe our troops an apology. Same for their families and friends. To call them pawns implies that they have no mind of their own, that they lack the mental capacity to think, and were somehow pressed into service.

As for losing troops...I lost my best friend 2 years ago. He served througout the Middle Eastern Theater and did multiple tours in Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, and Qatar. Wanna know how he died? Cancer. He was exposed to *something* in Iraq. Blood tests showed uranium poisoning. I got to watch him deteriorate and die from it. I still have the flag he gave me from one of his tours in Iraq. It flew in a C-130 over Baghdad during a combat mission.

Am I bitter about his service? HECK no! Do I blame Bush or anyone else here for that? HECK no! My buddy Ro [b]volunteered[/b] for duty, [b]volunteered[/b] for extra tours, and [b]gave his life[/b] for this country, for you, and for me. Do [b]not[/b] dishonor his sacrifice by calling him a pawn!

I will forgive you this time for this most grevious insult, both because our Lord tells me to and because of your age. I pray that as you grow in age, you will also grow in wisdom. Hopefully before the terrorists manage to set off a nuke inside this country....

:maddest:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1145318' date='Dec 19 2006, 12:26 AM']
If you support sending our boys and girls to a War, wich they may never return, why won't sign up to do the same?
[/quote]
Oh, for Pete's sake they are not "boys and girls" they are young men and women. They sign up VOLUNTARILY and believe it or not they get paid for it! There is NO DRAFT on. Why don't I sign up? Because I'm a 38 year old middle aged woman. I would make a sucky soldier and I have other responsibilities... I think others in my place shoud likewise not join up. Young people who want to pursue a career in the military should. Unfortunately, one of the down sides of having a military career is... war.

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1145479' date='Dec 19 2006, 10:39 AM']
Unfortunately, one of the down sides of having a military career is... war.
[/quote]

I think a lot of people forget that when they enlist. At least, their families seem to forget that when they support their loved ones who enlist.