An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confession Today

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1149735' date='Dec 26 2006, 07:44 AM']
I'm sorry that happened... I have had similar experiences before. It makes me feel sorry for the priest. You wonder why they are in that frame of mind, and realize that they need many prayers from us.

:bigpray:
[/quote]

Yes, they do, and I did. . .for my 'penance'. Because I felt ackward just leaving the church after Confession. . . but you know where I'll be this Saturday :blush:

franciscanheart

Can I ask one thing about confessions? I have a confessor that I really like. I go to him every week and he is always very good in advising me to ask God to help me with certain things and in certain ways. Anyway, point is: I like him. I always have good confessions with him. And I never feel awkward.

The ONLY thing that I've never really been sure of is the fact that I never say my act of contrition there in the confessional. He always tells me to 'say a good act of contrition' there in the church and then gives me my penance and final blessing.

Anyone experience this?

xTrishaxLynnx

The last time I went to confession was the first time the confessor has ever mentioned an Act of Contrition... It was Padre Paulo, and he asked me to say it there in the confessional, which I liked.

He's the best confessor I've been to. He's [i]so[/i] helpful. Other times I've been I have felt a bit rushed and like I recieved a general comment afterward that sounded like it could be said to every person who came through. He got really specific and gave really great guidance.

Woot for Padre! :woot:

(Sorry... I'll take it to his phanclub now, before I get too carried away. :P: )

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1149773' date='Dec 26 2006, 03:00 PM']
Can I ask one thing about confessions? I have a confessor that I really like. I go to him every week and he is always very good in advising me to ask God to help me with certain things and in certain ways. Anyway, point is: I like him. I always have good confessions with him. And I never feel awkward.

The ONLY thing that I've never really been sure of is the fact that I never say my act of contrition there in the confessional. He always tells me to 'say a good act of contrition' there in the church and then gives me my penance and final blessing.

Anyone experience this?
[/quote]

Hughey,
Yep, been there, done that. I so need to say my Act of Contrition there, in the confessional, to the priest (in the person of Christ). I say the words, I lsten to the words, I "feel" the words. I am always disapointed when the priest doesn't allow me to say it. I have even asked the priest if I may say it in confession. I was told not enough time so I said outside. It's a little thing, but it's important to me.

I know that the "act" of being contrite is absolutley nessecary, but when and how we make the act is subjective. So we must be at peace even when the priest disallows the recitation of an "act".
Just a thought.
Mr. Ray
:bigclap:

You have to say some form of an Act of Contrition for your confession to be completeted, but it's perfectly fine to say it outside of the confessional :)

Birgitta Noel

Oooh, oooh, me, me! I've had all of the above experiences.

But what I really popped in to say was about the priest who I often go to confession to here in St. Louis. He always makes a point right before giving absolution of saying, "and now the sacrament." It's a great reminder of the power of those words of absolution!

Ok, that's all :blush: