An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confession Today

DiscerningSoul

DiscerningSoul

I went to confession today and as I walked into church it was like comming home after a long leave.
It was refreshing and to see our Lord there on the alter in the tabernacal(sp?) was an added grace.

My happiness to be back in the pew of the church however was bittersweet when I noticed that my confessor was no longer at that church, from what I was told he may have suffered a stroke and was retired. Now there are two other pastors taking his place, my SD is still at this church so I will contine to go there to see him.

Now I must look for a new confessor, there is a pastor in another church that I like, he gives me great peniances like novinas and such, not like the normal three hail marys or three our fathers like I got today from one of the interm pastors. Don't get me wrong I will say any penance as given with great reverance, but I do love novinas!

In closing I emplore you to pray for Father Gaffney.

It feels wonderful to be back in God's grace and tring my hardest to find his will in my life. :saint:

brandelynmarie

His Mercy endures forever! Everytime we fall, we must get up....A saint is a sinner who got up one more time than he fell... :blush:

DiscerningSoul

Good news, Father Will(as many call him) said he's be happy to be my confessor.
He smiles big and goes to me, "you know where to find me"
:saint: :saint: :saint: :saint:

Guest phatdaddy

DiscerningSoul,

I see God is working in your life. God is so good. As Father Angelus always says. "the forgiveness of a soul it's sin is a greater miracle than the creation of the entire universe" I love that. Confession is a great sacrament and we are blessed to have it. Praise God for the wisdom he has given you.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion have mercy on us and on the whole world.

:sign:

I had a really good Confession this week as well. The priest was really at ease talking to me for quite a while. Praise God! Thank you Jesus for the Sacraments! w00t

:bigpray:

You know when you go to confession to someone, maybe for the first time, and it's clear that he DOESN'T want to give you any time? Yea, that was my experience last week, so while I made A confession, I really need to go back and have a more in depth one. :(

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1145530' date='Dec 19 2006, 09:59 AM']
A saint is a sinner who got up one more time than he fell...
[/quote]
I like that. Is that a quote from somewhere/someone?

[quote name='HisChild' post='1149194' date='Dec 25 2006, 11:35 AM']
You know when you go to confession to someone, maybe for the first time, and it's clear that he DOESN'T want to give you any time? Yea, that was my experience last week, so while I made A confession, I really need to go back and have a more in depth one. :(
[/quote]

Have confidence that your Confession was perfectly valid, though. You could go to a confessor whom you know will have time to talk to you, but it doesn't mean that a confessor who didn't have time or wasn't in a good mood did not give you valid absolution. The Lord sees your heart when you come and He knows what you're looking for, so don't worry about anything!

franciscanheart

I wanted to add a little something to this as well: When our apostolate puts on retreats, we remind the retreatants that while it is good to make a full confession (take as much time as you need to confess your sins), the confessional is not a counseler's couch. It is in the sense that you go in for some sort of healing and growth, but not necessarily that you seek out counseling there. Advice and pointers from the priest after hearing your sins is one thing. Asking for counseling is quite another. If you feel you need something more than confession is intended to provide, find a spiritual director. (It's great to have your SD be a priest so that he may also hear your confession.)

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1149586' date='Dec 25 2006, 07:40 PM']
I wanted to add a little something to this as well: When our apostolate puts on retreats, we remind the retreatants that while it is good to make a full confession (take as much time as you need to confess your sins), the confessional is not a counseler's couch. It is in the sense that you go in for some sort of healing and growth, but not necessarily that you seek out counseling there. Advice and pointers from the priest after hearing your sins is one thing. Asking for counseling is quite another. If you feel you need something more than confession is intended to provide, find a spiritual director. (It's great to have your SD be a priest so that he may also hear your confession.)
[/quote]

And truly, I wasn't looking for a counselor, as I do know the difference between the two. But I WAS looking for a little more than what was offered. I barely got a couple of things out of my mouth when I was asked if 'that was all'. (And when I wrote a couple, I do mean 2, as in, took less than a minute to mention.)I tried to add more, but was basically stopped, told that 'everyone has troubles at this time of year' and wasn't even given a penance. Venial, yes, but these are sins, I wasn't being scrupulous. I'm not being insultatory to the priest, God bless him, truly, but I just felt that when I left. . . I guess I didn't feel like I made a complete confession.

At any rate, I feel like I'm :offtopic: or hijacking someone else's thread, so I'll stop here! LOL

Blessed Christmas night to you.

franciscanheart

[quote name='HisChild' post='1149709' date='Dec 26 2006, 02:29 AM']
And truly, I wasn't looking for a counselor, as I do know the difference between the two. But I WAS looking for a little more than what was offered. I barely got a couple of things out of my mouth when I was asked if 'that was all'. (And when I wrote a couple, I do mean 2, as in, took less than a minute to mention.)I tried to add more, but was basically stopped, told that 'everyone has troubles at this time of year' and wasn't even given a penance. Venial, yes, but these are sins, I wasn't being scrupulous. I'm not being insultatory to the priest, God bless him, truly, but I just felt that when I left. . . I guess I didn't feel like I made a complete confession.

At any rate, I feel like I'm :offtopic: or hijacking someone else's thread, so I'll stop here! LOL

[/quote]
I know exactly the kind of priest you're talking about. :pinch: Lord bless them.

that happened to me awhile ago!! i paused to gather my thoughts and he goes are you sorry for these and all of your sins? and i was just kinda like "umm yes..." and he asked for my act of contrition and was absolving me while i was saying it. (i got so confused!!) i left and i felt like "ummm so was that valid!?" in fact, i think i posted it in the Q&A section right afterward!

praise God that even when we're rushed, He knows the intentions of our heart and we are forgiven for EVERYTHING anyways!! ahhh praise Him!! :topsy:

[quote name='HisChild' post='1149709' date='Dec 26 2006, 02:29 AM']

[/quote]

I'm sorry that happened... I have had similar experiences before. It makes me feel sorry for the priest. You wonder why they are in that frame of mind, and realize that they need many prayers from us.

:bigpray: