An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic And Orthodox Unitification

Balthazor

It would be neat to have a Council of Patriarchs that met to discuss things. Sort of like the college of cardinals.

You'd have the pope and the heads of the other rites in the Church, and they'd meet every year and hash out differences and it would be glorious.

[quote name='beatty07' post='1142616' date='Dec 14 2006, 10:02 PM']
I'd rather revert to the non-filioque Creed than have two Creeds operating liturgically... do Eastern Rite Catholics use it?

And some major historical questions will have to be addressed, e.g., there can't be real unity without the Orthodox acknowledging all the Councils... this is something that isn't particularly close to happening. That will be for them, I think, a much tougher pill to swallow than Roman jurisdiction.
[/quote]The filioque is not recited by Byzantine Rite
Catholics by agreement with Rome. This was explained to me by the pastor of St. Stephen's Byzantine Catholic Church. I assume the same is true of other Eastern Rite Catholics.

Two major problems I foresee are moral ones: divorce/remarriage and contraception, including the abortifacient Pill, permitted by the Orthodox in spite of the fact that they claim to be pro-life. Then there are all those councils with their definitions of doctrine. But the Pope is hopeful, and so am I!

The biggest obstacle is the one that caused the schism originally: the deadly sin of pride.

I'm ecstatic to be Catholic!

---------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us

Groo the Wanderer
:bigpray: prayer, baby! prayer! :bigpray:

Remember what happened to the USSR when the Church started praying on it? Booyah! Edited by Groo the Wanderer

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1142632' date='Dec 14 2006, 10:18 PM']
It would be neat to have a Council of Patriarchs that met to discuss things. Sort of like the college of cardinals.

You'd have the pope and the heads of the other rites in the Church, and they'd meet every year and hash out differences and it would be glorious.
[/quote]

good, so long as it is clear that the Pope, Bishop of Rome, is the supreme authority whose words are irrevocable on matters of Faith and Morals.... none of this namby, pamby Episcopalian garbage.... (yes, i am very ecumenical)