An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Happened To Me Last Night

mulls

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1136532' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:51 PM']
I guess I am afraid that either they will see it as pity and be upset or that they will turn out to be a nutjob and murdalize me, leaving my family daddyless.
[/quote]

You know, i'd be lying if i said this thought didn't occur to me. It did. I didn't know anything about this guy. I definately thought about the worst-case scenario.

I struggle with these kinds of thoughts when i'm Boston or NYC and pass by homeless people. I'd like to be the guy to take one of these folks into a diner or coffeeshop, buy them some food and chat for a minute. Then I get this fear that I'll get approached/jumped by a gang of them because of my kind act.

All of this makes me give more glory to God, since is was His Spirit that acted in me to do what I did. Because it was still so hard for me to do, even though it was the right thing.

It does help that I'm a young, single, street-smart guy who doesn't mind taking some risks like this....cautiously.

But once I start my own family (Lord willing), will I make the same decision? Only one knows for sure...

Edited by mulls

Groo the Wanderer

Aye. Marriage and kids definitely alters one's outlook.

In my yooth, shortly after college. I took in a couple of homeless teens to help them out after they lost their apartment (purely chaste - nothing happened in any way with either of them). Bad move.

After a month or so, I ended up getting stabbed in the neck in the middle of the night. They had let in a couple of guys they had met and planned to kill me and steal all my stuff to sell for drugs. By the grace of God above, the knife missed everything, but I carry a 1 inch scar to remind me.

Since then, I've become more cautious. I still help whenever I can, but I am very reluctant to get into a situation where my personal safety could be in jeopardy. I am even afraid to stop and help change a tire these days.

Guess I need to pray more on this to get back into proper perspective. I must trust the Lord in this area as I do in the rest of my life. Thanks again for posting this, as it has helped me to face part of my life i had not realized still affected me. :)

thanks for sharing mulls. :D:

groo, i think, as a woman, it is even harder for me to go out of my way and help people - because i am not trusting of strangers (and male strangers especially) at all. one of my sisters was raped, and i have known other girlfriends who have gotten close to raped. i fear that a lot - so i hesitate to help anyone out who is in need.

i definitely need to pray about how i can overcome my fear without getting into trouble.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='mulls' post='1136406' date='Dec 6 2006, 11:39 AM']
ummmmm....... :ninja:
*runs away*
[/quote]
*adds "Sean, aka mulls" to Vatican-operated Protestant database*

*informs Jesuits*

Okay, carry on. :whistle:

:P:

[quote name='Raphael' post='1137427' date='Dec 7 2006, 02:31 PM']
*adds "Sean, aka mulls" to Vatican-operated Protestant database*

*informs Jesuits*

Okay, carry on. :whistle:
:P:
[/quote]

*studies up on Alberto Rivera, fakes own death*

:funeral:

Edited by mulls

[quote name='mulls' post='1136149' date='Dec 5 2006, 11:56 PM']

"S-E-A-N-dot-M-U-L-L-S-at-G-M-A-I-L-dot-C-O-M"

[mod]email address edited. [/mod]
[/quote]

[quote name='scardella' post='1136480' date='Dec 6 2006, 12:44 PM']
Unless mulls is ok with having it up there, it might be a good idea to blank out the last names...
[/quote]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1136513' date='Dec 6 2006, 01:33 PM']
Done.
[/quote]

Not quite

homeschoolmom

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1137771' date='Dec 7 2006, 09:04 PM']
Not quite
[/quote]
I just changed it to something else... didn't want to ruin the flow of the story. ;)

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1136601' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:42 PM']
Aye. Marriage and kids definitely alters one's outlook.

In my yooth, shortly after college. I took in a couple of homeless teens to help them out after they lost their apartment (purely chaste - nothing happened in any way with either of them). Bad move.

After a month or so, I ended up getting stabbed in the neck in the middle of the night. They had let in a couple of guys they had met and planned to kill me and steal all my stuff to sell for drugs. By the grace of God above, the knife missed everything, but I carry a 1 inch scar to remind me.

Since then, I've become more cautious. I still help whenever I can, but I am very reluctant to get into a situation where my personal safety could be in jeopardy. I am even afraid to stop and help change a tire these days.

Guess I need to pray more on this to get back into proper perspective. I must trust the Lord in this area as I do in the rest of my life. Thanks again for posting this, as it has helped me to face part of my life i had not realized still affected me. :)
[/quote]

whoa groo! so random question but I've always wanted to know (though not experience) what was it like being stabbed? What was running through your mind? A lof of pain??

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='mulls' post='1137767' date='Dec 7 2006, 09:55 PM']
*studies up on Alberto Rivera, fakes own death*

:funeral:
[/quote]
:lol: Alberto Rivera's story is a crock.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1138143' date='Dec 8 2006, 02:18 PM']
:lol: Alberto Rivera's story is a crock.
[/quote]

ahhhhhh way to ruin the joke

:getaclue:

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='rkwright' post='1137791' date='Dec 7 2006, 09:25 PM']
whoa groo! so random question but I've always wanted to know (though not experience) what was it like being stabbed? What was running through your mind? A lof of pain??
[/quote]

Good to know you don't actually want to experience it....

I was awakend by a pillow being pushed over my face, then a sharp pain in my neck. I didn't realize I had been stabbed and just thought someone was poking me with a stick. I pushed the pillow and the attacker off me while roaring incomprehensibly. He split fast (must seen my guardian angel helping me up). I put my hand to my neck because I still felt the pain and when I felt the blood, I realized what had happened.

I applied pressure, found my glasses (blind as a bat w/o em), called 911, then got dressed. The thought of paramedics and cops finding me in my skivvies was unbearable.

Even though I wasn't very close to God at that point in my life, He was definitely close to me. I should not have had the strength to throw him off me. I should have been dead, but the knife missed everything critical. I should have been panicked, but was very calm - just peeved about the whole thing.

Funny part - when I got back from the ER, they were all standing in the parking lot smoking. I ran in to call 911 again, my little bro (all 320 lbs of him) chased and held one. The cops got em all within 10 mins. Drugs sure do make you stoopid.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1138492' date='Dec 9 2006, 01:19 AM']
So, have you kept in touch?
[/quote]

i'll be seeing him sunday night at 8.