An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll: Are You Pro Choice Or Pro Life?

pcabibi

Lets get an idea of how many pro-life and pro choice people are on this board.  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1134123' date='Dec 3 2006, 04:22 PM']
Anti Abortion - those against abortion
Pro Life - those for life, meaning against abortion, capital punishment, euthanasia, etc.

Pro Choice - those that believe that the decision should be up to the mother.
Pro Abortion - those that believe that abortion should be a requirement - often for the purpose of population control (like China)
Pro Death - A pro abortion person who also believes that when people get old enough, they lose their usefulness, and should be euthanized. They also tend to encourage the death penalty.
[/quote]
I am pro-life, but I also suppose the death penalty.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1134375' date='Dec 3 2006, 10:10 PM']
[/quote]
By suppose, you mean support right? Then by definition, your are technically not pro-life. Sorry. There is a distinction, and it has been lost on most people.

goldenchild17

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1134375' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:10 PM']
[/quote]

Ditto. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that I am pro-innocent life. And yes I realize none of us are innocent in that all of us have sinned. But there is a difference. Babies don't choose death. Murderers do by their crime.

rollingcatholic

[quote name='JClives' post='1134282' date='Dec 3 2006, 07:27 PM']
not unless they account for over 1%
[/quote]

How'd you get the 1%?

Did you just pull it out of the air, or did you compute the numbers to develop a statistically valid hypothesis?

[quote name='track2004' post='1134427' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:20 PM']
Isn't that the number that makes it significantly significant instead of an anomoly.
[/quote]That number depends on the sample size. 20% isn't statistically significant if there's only 5 in the sample.

rollingcatholic

[quote name='track2004' post='1134427' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:20 PM']
Isn't that the number that makes it significantly significant instead of an anomoly.
[/quote]

I take it you haven't taken a college level statistics course?

Twenty percent would generally never be statistically significant. Usually, the standard is 5%. And it doesn't matter how many people, its all percent. Because thats not the percent of people or anything, its the p-value. Wow too much stats... :offtopic:

All statistics discussions aside...

100million% prolife here.
That is,
abortion=wrong
death penalty=wrong
euthanasia=wrong
etc.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1134377' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:20 PM']
By suppose, you mean support right? Then by definition, your are technically not pro-life. Sorry. There is a distinction, and it has been lost on most people.
[/quote]
sorry for the typo, but Im pro-life.

And as a catholic I also support the death penalty.

There is a difference between supporting babies and supporting people convicted of murder. One is innocent always, the other may or may not be.

I am pro-life.

this statistics stuff is absolute nonsense.

if there is one athiest who is pro-life motivated by non-religious reasoning to be such, then there is a non-religious logic which can lead to being pro-life. how many people are on each side is completely irrelevant to which side is correct.

there are some athiests who are pro-life. moreover, you cannot merely write off all who happen to be religious if they offer logic/reasoning which stands in some way apart from their religion.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]because those are not legitimate standpoints, except for anti abortion which is synonmous with pro life.[/quote]

I don't think 'anti-abortion' and 'pro-life' should be used interchangeably. Those people who try to blow up abortion clinics while there are people inside are definitely anti-abortion, but I wouldn't call them pro-life. That does not really happen over here in Britain, but we have our fair share of nastiness - once members of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children sent some extremely vicious mail to female Members of Parliament, encouraging them to support anti-abortion measures in the House of Commons. The vitriolic nature of the mail wasn't justified, as SPUC had no idea where these women stood on pro-life issues - it was just an indiscriminate mailing campaign, which included photos of mutilated foeti. This was unfortunate for the two traumatised women MPs who had recently suffered miscarriages when they were opening their mail in the morning.

As a separate issue, what do you think of the label 'anti-choice'? This is what the pro-choice lot at my university call us. When we publicised the fact that our students' union had affiliated to a hardline abortion group called 'Abortion Rights' even though the majority of students had voted against affiliation, the SU didn't try to refute this. They just grumbled about 'anti-choice lies' on their website. Oh, the irony of it - the student body made a choice when it voted against affiliation to Abortion Rights. And our choice was denied by the very people who call themselves 'pro-choice'.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1134646' date='Dec 4 2006, 09:23 AM']
sorry for the typo, but Im pro-life.

And as a catholic I also support the death penalty.

There is a difference between supporting babies and supporting people convicted of murder. One is innocent always, the other may or may not be.

I am pro-life.
[/quote]No, no you're not. By definition, someone who is pro life is against the death penalty. You cannot be for and against it at the same time. There is a definite linguistic distinction.

I thought you couldn't be Catholic and for the death penalty anyway.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1134661' date='Dec 4 2006, 10:58 AM']
No, no you're not. By definition, someone who is pro life is against the death penalty. You cannot be for and against it at the same time. There is a definite linguistic distinction.

I thought you couldn't be Catholic and for the death penalty anyway.
[/quote]

wrong again. Almost every Catholic I know is firmly pro-life and pro-capital punishment. THere is a BIG difference between murder of innocents and the legitimate application of capital punishment.