An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian Hard Rock

Guest cantidek

Guest cantidek

it seems as though their are not that many christian heavy metal/hard rock bands. Is it sinful to listen to such music? or are their more christian hard rock bands than I think their are? I would like to listen to some heavy metal that has a positive, christian message.

[url="http://www.christianhardrock.net/"]http://www.christianhardrock.net/[/url]

It's an online streaming Christian radio station that plays hard rock 24/7. They also have two other stations that play regular rock, and hip-hop.

To answer your question, listening to hard rock in of itself is not sinful. The question is its lyrical content. It doesn't matter what format of the song it is, it's the meaning of it.

Edited by Paladin D

[quote name='cantidek' post='1133774' date='Dec 2 2006, 04:50 PM']
thanks. that was a good respnose! that wassort of what i was thinking, but wanted to make sure

God bless!!!
[/quote]

No problem.

For example, the band [b]Disturbed[/b] as non-Christian they may be, they have some lyrically powerful songs. You will find many secular bands that have some songs that aren't very Christian, yet also have others that don't go against the faith. I wouldn't buy the whole album, just individual songs from iTunes, Napster, or even Wal-Mart Music.

[url="http://www.songmeanings.net"]Song Meanings.net [/url] is a neat site to go to, look up some of your favorite bands or songs, and view user-submitted opinions on meanings of thousands of songs.

Edited by Paladin D

I agree more or less with Paladin D, though I do think that there are ways to arrange notes and chords that are not at all uplifting. Music plays with emotions and feelings, and not all emotions are equally good.

That said, I believe that lyrics are extremely important, and that songs with powerful, positive lyrics are better than those without. Depending on your particular definition of hard rock, I would recomend specific songs by Kansas. Two or three of the members of Kansas became Christians, and the lyrics they wrote reflect this. The songs Relentless, Hold On, The Wall, Lamplight Symphony, Crossfire, and The Devil Game all hold Christian ideas, and some center on the Saviour. Now they are not a Christian band, but their lyrics (mostly the ones written by the guy that converted, Kerry Livgren) are thought-provoking and either contain or attempt truth.

I am afraid I cannot recommend any Christian bands. I don't know of any. I have been turned off by the excessive use of the Lord's name in vain in a manner I find disrespectful, though I am positive it is not intended that way. But I am sure you'll find something.

goldenchild17

[quote name='cantidek' post='1133761' date='Dec 2 2006, 04:20 PM']
it seems as though their are not that many christian heavy metal/hard rock bands. Is it sinful to listen to such music? or are their more christian hard rock bands than I think their are? I would like to listen to some heavy metal that has a positive, christian message.
[/quote]

I don't listen to exclusively christian music anymore, but I am familiar with quite a few bands you might be interested in, if you could tell us more specifically what genre? Just hard rock in general, or more specific like metal, or screamo or something like that?

I love Christian Rock, although I'm too po' to afford any CD's or Downloads. Hawk Nelson is probably my favorite at the moment, or AA.

some good ones of the top of my head (metal)
trans siberian orchestra: normally instrumental, epic classical flavored songs
candlemass : quite good, very christian oriented lyrics, and good slow tempo heavy sound
lyrics from their song samarithan

One day I saw a man
dressed in rags, with a staff in his hand
begging for a penny to survive
How poor a man can be
I gave him hospitality
a room, a bed and lots of food to eat
Still I hear his last few words
"I can never return what you've done
but heaven will remember and repay"
Fifty years had gone since I saw him
I was dying and I'd soon be dead
Three angels stood in front of my bed
The first one she said to me, don't be afraid
I'll give you immortality and grace for your soul
The second had eyes of gold, gave me my wings
The third gave all wisdom an angel could give
.. to me
I joined with my destiny
I knew I was born again, an angel to be
A vision beyond my dreams, called me by name
So in devotion I spread my wings, to heaven I had came
.. to stay

also a link to another good thread in a specifically guitar/metal oriented forum on recommending christian metal(not sure if linking to other forums is allowed tell me if not)
[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329771&highlight=christian+metal"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showt...christian+metal[/url]
if you don't mind sifting through the athiest/satanic jokes about the oxymoron that is christian metal then you may find some bands that you like.truth be told most of the bands there are really for if you are already into the heavy metal sound but want christian lyrics.

well as a self titled metal head, as far as christian hard rock and metal is concerned on average they are not that good, i will elaborate. mainly it is not the christian theme that people dislike but that the quality of the music can suffer. for instance sometimes failed band ttrying to get into the mainstream will "go christian" as there is less competition there. or spend to much time fitting the lyrics to their "message" and forget about the actual flow

i consider my self a christian but i am not bothered at all to listen to the most anti christian music out there. it doesnt violate my beliefs at all, but that is different for everybody. as a weird fact the singer from slayer(one of the fist satanic death metal bands) tom araya is actually a devout roman catholic and while he doeesnt beleive the lyrics in their songs, he likes their "shock value". quite weird

sorry for the long post, hope that helped :)

Edited by Jesus_lol

also, of course hard rock is ok. as far as i can tell, any satanism attributed to most bands is unfounded or simply because some religious leader decided that fast tempos and guitars are sacriligeous. clearly not. the lack of christian themes in most popular music does not neccessarily mean the prescense of satanic themes. also for an example "the number of the beast" by iron maiden, is the one that got them branded as satanic, but it is about a dream were the devil appeared and caused havoc and is feared by the narrator, not about sacrificing virgins to satan or anything.

also its not like the bible ever says "though shalt not like distorted guitars and loud drums"

I used to listen to Christian music exclusively until I realized that I didn't like most of it (just not my style or sound). But there a number of Christian hard rock bands that are going strong, even in the mainstream. Some of the ones off of the top of my head (and some favorites) are:

Zao
Demonhunter
P.O.D.
As I Lay Dying
Unearth
Celldweller (a.k.a Circle of Dust)

Some of these are more explicit on their faith message than others, but all are good. Also, most of these are what could be put into the "death metal" category. ZAO is one of my favorite bands of all-time. Check 'em out.

U2 has some pretty thoughtful lyrics. They are bombastic and probably not considered hard, but it's a thought. Evanescence is also vaguely Christian. I didn't see if they been posted about yet. A lot of the time it's difficult to find any "religious" rock, not just hard rock, that doesn't sound like a bad version of Petra.
I will agree with Jesus_lol about many songs/bands/albums/whatever being labeled objectionable by some Bible thumper just because they don't like guitars or anything other than an organ. It gets really annoying.

Edited by Nadezhda

I would disagree with those who say that the lyrics are all that matter in a song. Beat does play into how we react physically and psychologically to what we hear. It can trigger a reaction of rebelliousness, even if the lyrics are not bad.

I'm not saying necessarily that Christian hard rock is bad, but I think different aspects of the music besides lyrics need to come into consideration when we choose the music we listen to.

Edited by Totus Tuus

"I would disagree with those who say that the lyrics are all that matter in a song. Beat does play into how we react physically and psychologically to what we hear. It can trigger a reaction of rebelliousness, even if the lyrics are not bad.

I'm not saying necessarily that Christian hard rock is bad, but I think different aspects of the music besides lyrics need to come into consideration when we choose the music we listen to."

I agree.

exquisitebones

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1133772' date='Dec 2 2006, 01:45 PM']
[url="http://www.christianhardrock.net/"]http://www.christianhardrock.net/[/url]

It's an online streaming Christian radio station that plays hard rock 24/7. They also have two other stations that play regular rock, and hip-hop.
To answer your question, listening to hard rock in of itself is not sinful. The question is its lyrical content. It doesn't matter what format of the song it is, it's the meaning of it.
[/quote]

oh man! this station is awesome! thanks!

also.. ZAO and As I lay Dying are awesome bands in the christian genre