An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Consider Profanity?

Noeyez

My resoning is this.

Most people think it's selective words. Such as the F-bomb. the rationale of it, from my understanding, is that they are not good to use because it's an ignorant mind trying to express itself with force. However what were the origins of curse words? I mean if someone were to say a curse word as a sign of a respect... like "you're the F-bomb Best," wouldn't that be considered more polite than negatively calling somebody a Troll? Because even though Troll is not "considered" profanity... doesn't the same spirit live in that word?

For example:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=61339"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=61339[/url]
scroll down

is it not just a forceful word (in this case picture) that is said when one can't think of anything else?

Thoughts?

Edited by Noeyez

[quote name='RC _' post='1133297' date='Dec 1 2006, 08:03 PM'][mod]Take it up privately, please. --Era Might[/mod]
[/quote]

an example of what?

i changed my screen name because the other one was banned. Seeing as somebody :rolleyes: is incapable of having a logical discussion.

So please stop with the personal insults and stick to the topic. Thanks.

please, just because one holds a position which is logically inconsistent that doesn't make one a troll.

this is a perfectly acceptable topic: why are certain words labeled as bad? et cetera.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1133305' date='Dec 1 2006, 08:06 PM']
please, just because one holds a position which is logically inconsistent that doesn't make one a troll.

this is a perfectly acceptable topic: why are certain words labeled as bad? et cetera.
[/quote]

Thanks

... I think lol

rollingcatholic

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1133305' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:06 PM']

[/quote]

[mod]Take if up privately, please. --Era Might[/mod]

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='RC _' post='1133311' date='Dec 1 2006, 08:07 PM']
[mod]Take if up privately, please. --Era Might [/mod]
[/quote]

Why do you continue to insult me? What did I do to you? I hope you don't bring this frustration to church because that's how kids get hurt man. You need to let it go.

now please stick to the topic.

Thanks

Edited by Lil Red

rollingcatholic

[quote name='Noeyez' post='1133314' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:09 PM']
Why do you continue to insult me? What did I do to you? I hope you don't bring this frustration to church because that's how kids get hurt man. You need to let it go.

now please stick to the topic.

Thanks
[/quote]

Why are you so defensive about being called a troll? If you're not one, prove it.

BTW: Why were you banned?

And why did you violate forum guidelines and make a new screen name to get around a ban?

his point is justified in some sense: Jesus said whoever says to his brother "you fool" is liable to the fires of Gehenna. while here at phatmass for the sake of avoiding scandal we also ban those words which society deems vulgar, it is indeed the intention of the word which makes it good or bad... and name-calling is a bad intention.

his ban had to do with the bickering/namecalling/personal attacks going on.

[quote name='RC _' post='1133318' date='Dec 1 2006, 08:11 PM']
Why are you so defensive about being called a troll? If you're not one, prove it.

BTW: Why were you banned?

And why did you violate forum guidelines and make a new screen name to get around a ban?
[/quote]

Because I was unjustly banned. And I believe I'm innocent until proven guilty. I emailed Dust and he will be investigating. I will honor the ban... if he says I'm in the wrong. meanin you won't even have to ban my screen name. I'm a man of my word and I actually have the self control to stop myself from posting for 7 days.

And I have nothing to proove to you. You obviously are bitter with something else in your life and have found an outlet taking it out on me.

Now PLEASE STOP WITH THE OFF TOPIC POSTS... because by your definition... you're trolling :)

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1133326' date='Dec 1 2006, 08:14 PM']
his point is justified in some sense: Jesus said whoever says to his brother "you fool" is liable to the fires of Gehenna. while here at phatmass for the sake of avoiding scandal we also ban those words which society deems vulgar, it is indeed the intention of the word which makes it good or bad... and name-calling is a bad intention.

his ban had to do with the bickering/namecalling/personal attacks going on.
[/quote]

does anybody have cited works that have research on teh origins of profanity?

Edited by Noeyez

rollingcatholic

[quote name='Noeyez' post='1133329' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:14 PM']
Because I was unjustly banned. And I believe I'm innocent until proven guilty. I emailed Dust and he will be investigating. I will honor the ban... if he says I'm in the wrong. meanin you won't even have to ban my screen name. I'm a man of my word and I actually have the self control to stop myself from posting for 7 days.

[/quote]

You're not honoring the ban now.

[quote name='RC _' post='1133336' date='Dec 1 2006, 08:17 PM']
You're not honoring the ban now.
[/quote]

Because it was done without investigation. Mathew 18 says if you have a problem with somebody take it up with them first... which you didn't do

Then get a whitness... which you skipped to and got me banned.

Then bring it before the congregation... which is what I'm doing by asking Dust to investigate. So no I am not honoring the ban at this point in time because I believe it to have been handled improperly.

rollingcatholic

[quote name='Noeyez' post='1133344' date='Dec 1 2006, 07:19 PM']
Because it was done without investigation. Mathew 18 says if you have a problem with somebody take it up with them first... which you didn't do

Then get a whitness... which you skipped to and got me banned.

Then bring it before the congregation... which is what I'm doing by asking Dust to investigate. So no I am not honoring the ban at this point in time because I believe it to have been handled improperly.
[/quote]

I didn't ban you.