An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Are Not For Us You Are Against Us?

Balthazor

hi.

i've been walking with the Lord for 4.5 years, and active on the front lines of ministry for a majority of that time. through God's providence i have been able to meet so many different Christians from so many different places in this short amount of time. it's silly how many connections i've made, i never thought i'd be one of those guys who seems to know everyone, but that's how it broke for me.

in all honesty, i cannot think of a specific incident with a person or church that i visited where someone was preaching 'against' someone else or another denomination. i've never had anyone turned off to me because of the church i've attended, or ministries i've served with. when i meet a believer of any "flavor" (as my buddy euty says), there's usually that instant connection that can only be described as "fellowship," a word which we toss around too lightly sometimes.

and im talking people who are followers of Christ, not just those who label themselves Christians. when we meet, we know it.

Edited by mulls

[quote name='mulls' post='1127735' date='Nov 25 2006, 10:27 PM']
in all honesty, i cannot think of a specific incident with a person or church that i visited where someone was preaching 'against' someone else or another denomination. i've never had anyone turned off to me because of the church i've attended, or ministries i've served with. when i meet a believer of any "flavor" (as my buddy euty says), there's usually that instant connection that can only be described as "fellowship," a word which we toss around too lightly sometimes.

and im talking people who are followers of Christ, not just those who label themselves Christians. when we meet, we know it.
[/quote]Will the [b][i]real[/i][/b] "followers of Christ" please stand up?

We're not talking about 'flavors' -- vanilla or chocolate -- but about differences in basic beliefs about who Jesus is, what he taught, how he expects us to behave, and how one is "saved."

Who gets to decide who is a "real follower of Christ" and who is not?

----------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote]We're not talking about 'flavors' -- vanilla or chocolate -- but about differences in basic beliefs about who Jesus is, what he taught, how he expects us to behave, and how one is "saved."
[/quote]

these basic beliefs are exactly the ones that have never been in question with anyone i've come across in the context of church/ministry/relationship/friendship

Well, along with my disagreement with denomination,[sarcasm] every protestant pastor with his congregation singing in unison Frank Sinatra's song " I did it my way" seems to sum up protestant Christianity[/sarcasm]. Along with the lines of "non-denominationalism" seems to be contradictory, because no non denominationalistic church agrees on anything. Many friends of mine went to several non denom churches and none of them agreed. It doesnt matter if they plaster it on their signs infront of their churches or engrain it into the mind of their congregation and their children it is still a denomination.

[quote name='mulls' post='1128019' date='Nov 26 2006, 01:55 PM']
these basic beliefs are exactly the ones that have never been in question with anyone i've come across in the context of church/ministry/relationship/friendship
[/quote]Are the AOG members "real" Christians? If so, why did you leave them for the Brethren?

Without knowing which "flavor" (to use your word) of Brethren you are, we can't tell what you believe. Which beliefs are "basic"? Who gets to choose which are "basic" and which are not? I'm sure you know that there are several kinds of Brethren, all split from each other over doctrinal disagreements.

You're a very nice guy, Mulls. Sorry to be such a critic, but Protestantism is a guessing game. Been there. Done that.

Please come home. We're saving the fatted calf just for you. You'd be great working with FOCUS.
-----------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

Edited by Katholikos

[quote]Are the AOG members "real" Christians? [/quote]

church membership does not equal being a follower of Christ. how many times do we have to go over this? you are obsessed with judging a person based on the church they go to. i am not.

[quote] If so, why did you leave them for the Brethren? [/quote]

i would like to give the Lord credit for that. practically speaking, i simply asked a few of my friends if i could check out their church one day. the moment the meeting started, i knew i was home.

[quote]Without knowing which "flavor" (to use your word) of Brethren you are, we can't tell what you believe. Which beliefs are "basic"? Who gets to choose which are "basic" and which are not? I'm sure you know that there are several kinds of Brethren, all split from each other over doctrinal disagreements. [/quote]

i attend that which can best be described as an open plymouth brethren assembly. i'm quite aware of the history of the movement.

[quote]
You're a very nice guy, Mulls. Sorry to be such a critic, but Protestantism is a guessing game. Been there. Done that[/quote].

i'm not the one with the questions. nothing to guess at for me.

Edited by mulls

Hi mulls!
I am still saving that seat for you.

What do you think about this whole deal. With or Against how does this translate for you. Obviously if you are here you must feel some Christian brotherhood toward Catholics :)

[quote]
What do you think about this whole deal. With or Against how does this translate for you. [/quote]

gonna do a little work on it and get back to you.

[quote]Obviously if you are here you must feel some Christian brotherhood toward Catholics :)[/quote]

yes, some. unfortunately not in real life. i'm still waiting to meet some Christ-loving Catholics like some here on phatmass.