An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Are Not For Us You Are Against Us?

Balthazor

I really do not understand this deep loathing of each other between Christian denominations and those who call themselves "non-denominational" , . Sometimes I am distressed at the lack of solidarity between Christians. Instead of working together on anything it seems that many people are just bent on preaching against other groups......

Mark 9
38 John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."
39 Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me.
40 For whoever is not against us is for us.

So what is it folks, how do you interpret this? Bcause I sure get the feeling that a lot of people think it is the other way around, you know :if you are not for us you are against us.

Edited by Balthazor

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1127018' date='Nov 24 2006, 12:17 PM']
I really do not understand this deep loathing of each other between Christian denominations and those who call themselves "non-denominational" , . Sometimes I am distressed at the lack of solidarity between Christians. Instead of working together on anything it seems that many people are just bent on preaching against other groups......
Mark 9
38 John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us."
39 Jesus replied, "Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me.
40 For whoever is not against us is for us.
[/quote]

I think it is really for one reason. Pride. People not willing to admit that they aren't perfect, so they assume there own infallability and devlope of blind hatred of anyone else who is different.

Now before anyone jumps to conclutions, this does not mean sacrificing our values, especially as Catholics. We can still be strong and sure in what we believe, just not so close minded that we don't aknowledge the truth that other Christen sects hold. Namley a belief in Jesus Christ as redeemer. And remeber that ecumentical unity is definantly an area that Satan attacks. We have to focus on the positve!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Winchester' post='1127033' date='Nov 24 2006, 12:48 PM']
Actually, Jesus said it both ways.
[/quote]
Which fits in perfectly with the whole "no lukewarmness" thing.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1127033' date='Nov 24 2006, 12:48 PM']Actually, Jesus said it both ways.[/quote]As Providence would have it, I was reading the 12th chapter of the Gospel of St. Matthew last night ([url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew12.htm#v30"]link[/url]):
[quote name='Matt 12:30']Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.[/quote]

"Whoever is not with me is aganst me."

"Whoever is not against us is for us."

"For everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved" Rm 10:13.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven . . ."Mt 7:21.

That's why we need an infallible teacher, the Church and her Magisterium.

=========================
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1127118' date='Nov 24 2006, 04:58 PM']
"Whoever is not with me is aganst me."

"Whoever is not against us is for us."

"For everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved" Rm 10:13.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven . . ."Mt 7:21.

That's why we need an infallible teacher, the Church and her Magisterium.

=========================
[/quote]You DON'T have an infallible teacher in the Church or her Magisterium in the sense that you dream it is! Sorry, but face reality. Read a bit of Church History and figure out that it's human politics that present majority rule.

Or tell me which ordained priest or ordained Bishop or ordained Curia bureaucrat or elected Pope is infallible. Even the Roman Catholic definition of Infallibility is a tortured extrapolation that can't be definitevely identified in X decree or Papal 'Bull' or Catechism.

For example, with all the learned brainiacs here, let's get a definitive answer if the Catechism is 'infallible' or not... LOL

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1127227' date='Nov 24 2006, 08:29 PM']
You DON'T have an infallible teacher in the Church or her Magisterium in the sense that you dream it is! Sorry, but face reality. Read a bit of Church History and figure out that it's human politics that present majority rule.

Or tell me which ordained priest or ordained Bishop or ordained Curia bureaucrat or elected Pope is infallible. Even the Roman Catholic definition of Infallibility is a tortured extrapolation that can't be definitevely identified in X decree or Papal 'Bull' or Catechism.

For example, with all the learned brainiacs here, let's get a definitive answer if the Catechism is 'infallible' or not... LOL
[/quote]
Ah yes, none of us have ever read a bit of history. We think that our clergy have always beem good people above reproach. You have opened my eyes!

Human difficulty does not negate truth.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1127227' date='Nov 24 2006, 09:29 PM']
You DON'T have an infallible teacher in the Church or her Magisterium in the sense that you dream it is! Sorry, but face reality. Read a bit of Church History and figure out that it's human politics that present majority rule.

[/quote]I don't know whether the Catechism itself is considered unfallible or not, but I am certain that the teachings within the CCC are infallible. I've posted your question in Q&A and we'll see what the "braniacs" have to say about it. Why does it matter? Isn't it enough to know that the teachings are infallible?

I am moved to pity every time I see one of your posts. You have pulled yourself and your family away from the Church that Christ founded for the salvation of the world and have encouraged others in apostasy. It is my constant prayer that nothing ever separates me from Christ and His Church. I would lose my soul. That was the state I was in when I found the Church, a lost soul, in the black pit of atheism. My God, have mercy.

May you find peace.

=================================

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1127516' date='Nov 25 2006, 03:03 PM']
I want some protestant Action on this too.
where is mulls? where are our resident separated bretheran?
[/quote]

I dunno, you might just get kissy noises from the prots.

:rolleyes: