An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgical Music

Fulton Sheen Warrior

Liturgical Music  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

I'm OK with modern and contemporary vernacular music, as long as it is modeled after Gregorian Chant and consistent with the Church's 2000-year tradition of music, not just what a bunch of hippies thought was "relevant" in the 70's. And I don't like guitars or drum sets in the liturgy.

But I almost always prefer Gregorian chant and polyphony.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1208402' date='Mar 5 2007, 12:44 AM']What should a Catholic church look like? Altar, ambo, crucifix, candles, baptismal font, right? What is elemental and what is incidental to each of these? Should things be ornate? Simple? I've seen many pre-VII Catholic churches that seem to bulldoze right over the principle of "noble simplicity." Does ornateness or intricateness in and of itself lift us to the Divine or is a conditioned response because that has been historically the response to ornate things in stone buildings? Just playing devil's advocate... Let's not look down our noses at churches that don't look "Catholic" until we can truly define what that means.

The Church you desire exists around you - it just doesn't look or sound the way you want it to. The Church is not musical styles and architectural renderings. The Church is the Body of Christ on earth working to bring about the Kingdom of God among us.[/quote]

I want a church that is devoted to what is really happening there. In the quote I provided I showed what I want. Fear and reference of what is happening. A place that promotes the solem devoition and reflection. I converted from protestant evangelical where the emotional perspective was a weird high, but it clouded the thoughts, not opened it. Im not a trad by any means, and I see noble simplicity as a decent thing. But some icons, some smells. Ironically I dont know half the terms you used above. I just want a taste of the divine.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1208414' date='Mar 5 2007, 01:07 AM']Can you cite a document that defines this, please?

I think a Church should look like this:

[img]http://www.med.umich.edu/gulfwarhealth/images/memory8.jpg[/img][/quote]

Why cant they have both? The "Church" and "the mass" could be different things. In the mass we can be solem and reflective, but that does not mean that as a body of believers we can not enjoy the other aspects of our life. In my mom's church the church was the body in and out of service. We hung out together, we studied together, we played music around the fire. The Church can be both

what's ironic about me checkin out this thread is that I was just learning about the Rennaissance period in the Music class I'm taking and the teacher just seems to be constantly ripping on the Church for the work in the counter-reformation and the Council of Trent. Coming out of that class I just want to oust all the hymns and just hear Palestrina mass parts blasting from the choir loft.

he was a composer around the 16th century. Absolutely some of the most gorgeous vocal music I've ever heard. If you ever want some great peaceful chant-like religious music in the car, pick up a palestrina cd like the mass of Pope marsellus or the Blessed Virgin. It's some good stuff.

I heard a story once that while Phillip Neri travelled around Europe preaching, Palestrina would follow with him and compose music.

• 1 year later...

Yes, you do want. The man was a genius. Bach studied his works quite a bit and was inspired by them.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMGgOozpXM&feature=related"][u]The Nicene Creed sung by Orthodox Church Choir[/u][/url]

fides quarens intellectum

i love how you start reading a thread, and you're like, "wow - who are these people?" and then you notice, oh, the thread was started two years ago.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1532527' date='May 18 2008, 04:52 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMGgOozpXM&feature=related"][u]The Nicene Creed sung by Orthodox Church Choir[/u][/url][/quote]
Very nice Todd, but... I'm biased (there, I said it).

In my opinion the English language, most especially in the American dialects, is severely lacking in euphony. The Creed is poetry in Greek - or even Latin - whilst in English it strikes me as a dissonant cacophony of bastardized words.