An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgical Music

Fulton Sheen Warrior

Liturgical Music  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

I personally loathe all forms of contemporary music in Mass.

Strictly Gregorian Chant/Sacred Polyphany for me.

What about you?

I can't really answer because none of those are what I would say.

I think that any music is appropriate as long as it is respectful and the lyrics are appropriate.

I do have a question though. Why do you feel one form is better than another?

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

[quote]I do have a question though. Why do you feel one form is better than another[/quote]

[i]116. The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as [b]specially suited to the Roman Liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of place in liturgical services[/b]
But other kinds of sacred music, [b]especially polyphony[/b], are by no means excluded from liturgical celebrations, so long as they accord with the spirit of the liturgical action, as laid down in Art. 30

-Sacrosanctum Concilium [/i]

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

At the risk of sounding clueless.....How do you feel about this issue?

PS. I was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa...Go Hawkeyes.

[quote name='Fulton Sheen Warrior' post='1126714' date='Nov 23 2006, 12:35 PM']
+JMJ+

At the risk of sounding clueless.....How do you feel about this issue?

PS. I was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa...Go Hawkeyes.
[/quote]

I am originally from Humboldt......however.......

If you do a search with Litugical Music as the keyword and my handle (Cam42) as the member name, you'll see my view. It is clear and it will take some time, but it is worth the read....all I have ever called for is ACCURATE, FAITHFUL AND COMPLETE adherence to the precepts of Vatican Council II, in regard to Sacred Music.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

Wow......Your'e the man Cam. I found the thread on Chant to be very enlightening.

Thank you sir.

Edited by Fulton Sheen Warrior

I love Gregorian Chant and Sacred Polyphany. Some fairly contemporary music would be ok IMO, but when I say that, I'm only thinking of a few specific hymns written in the 1800s and early 1900s. Not exactly contemporary by the common definition of the word. Even some of the not so dreadful '70s, '80s and '90s songs would be bearable if used only occasionally. It's the constant repetition each Sunday that makes them [i]really[/i] irritating.

I like a lot of different kinds of music. But I think that some is just more suited than others to be in a mass. It is a delicae balance to find songs that are motivating enough that people like them and participate in them, while still retating respect and sacredness in this holy time and space. This is after a mass, not a pep rally

[quote name='Fulton Sheen Warrior' post='1126725' date='Nov 23 2006, 01:38 PM']
+JMJ+

Wow......Your'e the man Cam. I found the thread on Chant to be very enlightening.

Thank you sir.
[/quote]

You are welcome. Again, there is nothing that called for the elimination of Sacred Music. For the most part, it was simply abandoned.

This is an ongoing quesion that I have been posing for many, many years: I would like for someone to show me where Vatican Council II authorized, condoned, supported, required, etc., the elimination of Traditional Sacred Music?

AND......

If that answer is negative: What is the point of the phrase, "Spirit of Vatican II," when it is taken in the context of Sacred Music; if Vatican Council II is not the reasoning of new music in the Church.

If that answer is positive: Can one use the documents of the Church to support his position? If one cannot, then is it in keeping with the "Spirit of Vatican II?"

But is there documents stating [i]only[/i] traditional music be used in Mass?

If the music is reverant and lyrically sound, why is it a problem? even if it was written yesterday.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1126479' date='Nov 22 2006, 07:48 PM']I'm more concerned about the lyrics than the style.[/quote]agreed
[quote name='Cam42' post='1126712' date='Nov 23 2006, 10:20 AM']Everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows how I feel on this issue.[/quote]so much so you had to say it twice! :P: