An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saints

avemaria40

some of them I relate to, whom I admire and call upon ..

St. John the Evangelist, St. Bernadette, St. Maria Goretti, St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus (had fun learning the foreign accents in a French class :j) ... her Franciscan sister in spirit - Servant of God - Sr. Consolata Betrone ( Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls! ) St. Margaret Mary, St. Clare of Assisi, St. Gemma, Servant of God - Sr. Josefa Menendez, and all the young Virgin Martyrs like St. Agnes, St. Lucy, and St. Philomena

saints whose spiritiuality I admire, whom I call upon ...

#1 The Virgin Mary, St. Peter Julian Eymard, Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity, St. Faustina, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Teresa Margaret Redi, St. Pio, St. Peter of Alcantara <-- definitely don't try to imitate this one though :j

----

Something I wanted to add - this June when I was visiting the Contemplative Sisters of St. John, I was talking to the Mother there about the saints, and she said something very profound that I don't think I'll be able to remember exactly here, but I'll try.

It was that, we cannot really seek to imitate (or a better word - be a copies of) the saints, because we are our own person that God made us. We should not be comparing ourselves to the lives of the saints - the Holy Spirit has different plans for each soul. Otherwise we are trying to fit ourselves into a mold instead of being docile to how the Holy Spirit wants to shape us individualy - on how we in a different and unrepetable way, will follow Christ. We can only really imitate the lives of Jesus and Mary in the Gospel she said. It must be Jesus who is our constant model whom we strive to follow. Then God can make us the saint He made and wants us to be.

She said this in a deep way, that really left an impression on me. Of course, it is good to imitate the saints in their virtues and everything they have written and taught us. And the St. John community of course strives for this and is is no way unorthodox. But there is this level it seems, at least in my case, of comparing our lives too much with the saints. Like for instance, thinking, if I don't enter religious life really young and die really young, there's really no way I'll ever be a great saint like St. Thérèse. But this comparing and looking too much at other peoples' lives is totally against what God wants - this is really a 'wordly' way of thinking, if you guys get what I mean.

I really loved this statement of the Mother at St. John's, and thought I should share this with you. :j

Edited by Margaret Clare

I think it's great to be able to relate to saints of course, and have such great friends in Heaven that have been through it to call upon!

I feel if I could only pick one saint I most relate to, it would be St. Bernadette, because of her particular attachment to the Virgin Mary and to whatever she wanted of her, her lack of knowledge concerning the Catechism, and yet practicing her faith already in her heart, and her simplicity, and her line from the Blessed Mother, "I cannot promise you happiness in this life, but only in the next ..."

cathoholic_anonymous

Margaret Clare, thank you for sharing that account with us - it's a beautiful way of understanding the graces of God and His unique plans for each soul. I try to copy saints far too much. I see that now. In future I will let them inspire me, but apart from that I'll do my own thing. :D:

Saint Martin de Porres - he is my patron and he is totally awesome
Saint Anthony of Padua
Saint Therese of the Child jesus
Our Lady
Saint Dominic
and many others!

God Bless and Mary keep
Karin

Our Lady of Fatima
St Michael the Archangel and St Benedict (personal patrons)

Mother Mary of St Peter (vocation)

And a few others at a lessor level.

TheOliverOrder88

Saint Francis of Assisi
Saint Josemaria Escriva
Saint John the Baptist
Saint Joseph of Cupertino
Saint Maximilian Kolbe

I am sorta partial to mystics and Franciscans.