An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Think Like A Catholic Or A Protestant?

jswranch

[quote]a. If a sinner becomes “born-again” (the regenerating, transforming process of character), he will achieve right standing with God.

b. If the sinner is granted right standing with God through faith (“born-again”), he will then experience transformation of character.[/quote]

I have a problem w/ this question. It incorrectly formulates the Catholic answer in a way that seems to skew it towards thinking that man achieves his own salvation apart from God's grace. It formulates the Protestant answer to make it think like we have no role in our own salvation. I didn't like either answer.

I took this a while ago and I think came up 90 percent.

It's funny ... I still have "Protestant" moments, although they're getting fewer and farther between. Like a couple of times I've been in conversations explaining something Protestant and I'll catch myself saying "we" instead of "they." The longer I'm here, though, and identifying myself as a Catholic and hanging out with Catholics, the less those times happen.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Winchester' post='1126118' date='Nov 22 2006, 02:47 PM']
baptists aren't protestant.
[/quote]

[quote name='RC _' post='1126124' date='Nov 22 2006, 03:00 PM']
Then what are they?
[/quote]

For all the talk about "30,000+ Protestant denominations," non-Catholic/Orthodox Christianity in our generation is becoming more just a non-denominational denomination. Most "Protestants" don't identify themselves as Baptist or whatever denomination their church might happen to be, but simply say they are Christians. They identify with Christ alone. (A friend's t-shirt I noticed the other day sums it up quite well: "Jesus Christ. Period.") I put "Protestant" in quotes because they don't even identify with a movement actively protesting against Catholicism. There is little motivation to stand against other denominations, as long as the exclusively worship Christ and believe the Trinity. Of course, some of them are definitely against Catholicism and Orthodoxy, but they are a small minority and don't reflect the greater trend.

Basically, people just don't care enough to get in a hissy about theological differences. That may not necessarily be a good thing (since it reflects the great spiritual apathy in our wealthy culture), but perhaps the greater sense of spiritual unity among non-Catholics is all part of God's plan to lead us to greater physical unity.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

rollingcatholic

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1130143' date='Nov 28 2006, 05:50 PM']
If I answer hypothetically (as in, what I think is more feasible) then I think like a Catholic. Who da thunk it?
[/quote]

Try it. You'll like it.

[quote name='RC _' post='1130148' date='Nov 28 2006, 06:52 PM']
Try it. You'll like it.
[/quote]
:) Maybe one day. I find it unlikely, but I'm not pretending to be clairvoyant. Honestly though, I'm in love with my faith. Thank you for your concern. :)

[quote name='scardella' post='1129349' date='Nov 27 2006, 09:28 PM']
I have a problem w/ this question. It incorrectly formulates the Catholic answer in a way that seems to skew it towards thinking that man achieves his own salvation apart from God's grace. It formulates the Protestant answer to make it think like we have no role in our own salvation. I didn't like either answer.
[/quote]

I had a problem with the question too. This was the only question I chose Protestant though.

Groo the Wanderer

60% Catholic....but that was before my morning coffee...prolly better after that.

Some of the questions are bogus, IMHO, and written poorly for the average schmo like me. If I were a trained theologian or had say 10 cups of coffee first, I would most likely have scored higher...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1130762' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:32 PM']
:lol:
[/quote]

I'm glad I entertain ;)

I forgot to mention, I lived with two catholics for two years, one of which is now a monk.

Edited by RandomProddy

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1130770' date='Nov 29 2006, 04:46 PM']
I forgot to mention that you scored more Catholic than I did.
[/quote]

:lol:

Edited by RandomProddy