An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Catholics Take Assults On Molesting Priests Personal?

zeyeon

[quote name='zeyeon' post='1125365' date='Nov 21 2006, 05:30 PM']If you really want i can cite some litigation cases as well as numerous amounts of literary works done by former clergey.[/quote]
Please do. Objective sources, please. No Alberto Rivera types.

What I need specifically is evidence that "beating" was a widespread institutional problem. A litigation case doesn't mean much, because anyone can sue anyone for anything. For the type of widespread problem you are suggesting, objective statistical studies are necessary. Even personal testimony can be misleading, because it's subjective. Everyone's perception of life is their own. I know for a fact that millions of Catholics who grew up in that period speak glowingly of the nuns who taught them what love is. One comes to mind: Fr. Benedict Groeschel, an elderly Priest and a prominent speaker who has attributed his vocation to the nuns who taught him as a child.

Can you provide any statistical proof that nuns "beat" children and that children were psychologically damaged by this? This is a popular and absurd caricature of Catholic nuns in the same way Jews are caricatured as greedy bankers. Does that mean there has never been a greedy Jewish banker or nuns who went a little far with the corporal punishment? No. It just means that the caricature and the vilification of an entire group of people is popular and prejudiced myth.

[quote name='zeyeon' post='1125392' date='Nov 21 2006, 08:58 PM']
On an 8 year old kid it's still abuse and devestating to the psyche of a child. would you smack your own kid with a ruler on the knuckles?

It's abuse man don't be rediculous.
[/quote]
oh my. If an 8 year old can't take a rap on the knuckles he is a pansy of the highest order.

Give me a break. A smack. on the knuckles. ouch.

So, let's look at the last 40 years of 'positive affirmation' and all the rewards that are forthcoming. The hordes of well rounded children we have now.

I can't think of any.

I see these: Fat, ungrateful little spites who do more to advance the cause of contraception than any 100 feminist crusaders. Explaining to a kid why he is wrong is not a punishment, because it assumes that the little snot actually cares. Smack his face and he cares. Smack his knuckles and he cares, but gets over it.

In fact, the best behaved kids I know are the ones whose parents aren't afraid to haul off and smack them in the middle of the grocery store. And NOT apologize.

And you keep spelling "molesting" wrong. You should be spelling it "molestation"

homeschoolmom

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1125557' date='Nov 21 2006, 09:33 PM']
oh my. If an 8 year old can't take a rap on the knuckles he is a pansy of the highest order.

Give me a break. A smack. on the knuckles. ouch.

So, let's look at the last 40 years of 'positive affirmation' and all the rewards that are forthcoming. The hordes of well rounded children we have now.

I can't think of any.

I see these: Fat, ungrateful little spites who do more to advance the cause of contraception than any 100 feminist crusaders. Explaining to a kid why he is wrong is not a punishment, because it assumes that the little snot actually cares. [b]Smack his face and he cares.[/b] Smack his knuckles and he cares, but gets over it.

In fact, the best behaved kids I know are the ones whose parents aren't afraid to haul off and smack them in the middle of the grocery store. And NOT apologize.

And you keep spelling "molesting" wrong. You should be spelling it "molestation"
[/quote]
I was with you until the bolded part... then you lost me.

[quote name='zeyeon' post='1125570' date='Nov 21 2006, 10:42 PM']How many people here had a priest try to dress up as santa claus and have you sit on his lap.
Show of hands please.[/quote]Once again, you're scapegoating. If you think that having grown men dress up as Santa Claus is a bad idea, then why focus in on priests?

Heck, given the amount of molestation that is carried out by close relatives, would you think that children shouldn't sit on the laps of their fathers, mothers, aunts, and uncles? Or is it the Santa costume that worries you? Or the clerical collar?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1125574' date='Nov 22 2006, 12:48 AM']
[/quote]
i was just being over the top. don't worry, no face smacking in my repertoire.

[quote name='zeyeon' post='1125570' date='Nov 21 2006, 09:42 PM']
How many people here had a priest try to dress up as santa claus and have you sit on his lap.
Show of hands please.
[/quote]Nope, never. Actually, I've never seen a priest dress up like santa at all, except the hat. Someone more educated on the subject might have to clarify for me, but I'm thinking that they're probably not supposed to do that at all. Either way, that doesn't imply evil intent, or do you think all mall santa clauses are child molestors (or at least have urges in that direction).

And way to avoid the subject at hand by the way.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1125574' date='Nov 21 2006, 09:48 PM']
[/quote]I don't know if this is what he meant, but I've seem some parents pop their kid in the face before. It wasn't enough to hurt, but coming from a parent that NEVER hits their kid at all, it's a big shock, and it really grabs their attention.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='zeyeon' post='1125570' date='Nov 21 2006, 10:42 PM']
How many people here had a priest try to dress up as santa claus and have you sit on his lap.
Show of hands please.
[/quote]
You really have issues with priests don't you.... I think Father Groeshel would make an excellent Santa., but he is so frail you would have to sit at his feet. :)

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1125584' date='Nov 21 2006, 10:53 PM']
Nope, never. Actually, I've never seen a priest dress up like santa at all, except the hat. Someone more educated on the subject might have to clarify for me, but I'm thinking that they're probably not supposed to do that at all. Either way, that doesn't imply evil intent, or do you think all mall santa clauses are child molestors (or at least have urges in that direction).

And way to avoid the subject at hand by the way.
I don't know if this is what he meant, but I've seem some parents pop their kid in the face before. It wasn't enough to hurt, but coming from a parent that NEVER hits their kid at all, it's a big shock, and it really grabs their attention.
[/quote]

lol there's no point in even discussing it further. yall did your job I did mine.

What have we learned from this thread?

Don't beat your Kids... if you want to scare them then take them to confession.

rollingcatholic

[quote name='zeyeon' post='1125598' date='Nov 21 2006, 10:02 PM']
lol there's no point in even discussing it further. yall did your job I did mine.

What have we learned from this thread?

Don't beat your Kids... if you want to scare them then take them to confession.
[/quote]

Your job being, proving yourself as an anti-Catholic bigot?