An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evangelizing To Catholics By Catholics

jswranch

One way of doing this:

I love the new USCCB documents so much, I want to get them printed and bound at kinkos, then hand them out after mass to a few hundred people.

Thoughts?

jswranch,

Good idea, but you may want to check with the USCCB first. This from Jeff Mirus (President of the Catholic Culture website):

[quote]We used to include many significant documents in our database from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, but not any more. ...Many organizations, including Trinity Communications, have received letters from the USCCB listing the unauthorized documents displayed on their web sites, and requesting immediate removal.[/quote]
Here is the USCCB permissions page, for reference:

[url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/permissions.shtml"]http://www.usccb.org/nab/permissions.shtml[/url]

[quote name='Era Might' post='1125285' date='Nov 21 2006, 03:08 PM']
jswranch,

Good idea, but you may want to check with the USCCB first. This from Jeff Mirus (President of the Catholic Culture website):
Here is the USCCB permissions page, for reference:

[/quote]
Well, shucks. They are requiring me to buy it from them in individual books, and they are out of stock.

Edited by jswranch

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1125407' date='Nov 21 2006, 05:05 PM']
wasnt there some talk a while ago about the USCCB and their copyright policy?
[/quote]
Dont get me started. If they want to get a message out to all of usa, why are they keeping it for their publisher? I suppose they fear fakes?

Copyrights are an important way of protecting the integrity of documents like these.

And (if I remember right) the Vatican also began enforcing its copyrights recently.

While you can put the spin on it that it's a means of protecting the revenues from the sales of these documents, I think the more important aspect of copyright in this setting is protecting the integrity of the document.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1125525' date='Nov 21 2006, 08:57 PM']
Copyrights are an important way of protecting the integrity of documents like these.

And (if I remember right) the Vatican also began enforcing its copyrights recently.

While you can put the spin on it that it's a means of protecting the revenues from the sales of these documents, I think the more important aspect of copyright in this setting is protecting the integrity of the document.
[/quote]
Lawyers. <_<

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1125532' date='Nov 21 2006, 08:04 PM']
Lawyers. <_<
[/quote]
hey I'm not there yet

gimme another couple years

THEN you can call me esquire

She is right. Copyrights are very important for protecting rights and preserving integrity. I know it is hard to hear but the USCCB is doing the right thing in protecting thier material.

Thy Geekdom Come

I just want to say that I think that any Church organization's enforcement of copyrights of major documents meant for all the faithful is a sad thing.

Now, if they were text books and stuff that people were making a living off of, fine...but when the US bishops get together and want to release a document for all to see, I think that should be spread without any inhibitions.

Thy Geekdom Come

I just want to say that I think that any Church organization's enforcement of copyrights of major documents meant for all the faithful is a sad thing.

Now, if they were text books and stuff that people were making a living off of, fine...but when the US bishops get together and want to release a document for all to see, I think that should be spread without any inhibitions.

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1125525' date='Nov 21 2006, 07:57 PM']
[/quote]
I agree this is not an issue of $$$. These books are selling for a max of $2.