An Old School Catholic Message Board

Update (new Pictures!) On The Desert Nuns Website!

Veritas

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1162505' date='Jan 12 2007, 10:17 AM']
I didn't know the PCPA made a vow of enclosure like other Poor Clares. Thanks for sharing that.

Papal Enclosure is lived according to the latest document from the Holy See "Verbi Sponsa". You can read it online. You can see that there's much latitude for different ways of expressing the living of enclosure. Some monasteries need to go out more than others for various reasons. That doesn't mean their enclosure is less. Enclosure is not so much about going on but about that sacred space this for God alone. Enclosure also must be an enclosure of the heart.

I'm 99% sure that when the OLAM nuns went out for the special 25th anniversary they couldn't wait to get back into the monastery! I know that when I go out: dentist, airport or train to pick up a friar or aspirant (we don't have externs) I can't WAIT to get back inside the enclosure where I can breath!

Grilles and counters are a sign of the enclosure. They are not enclosure itself. (Nevertheless they are important signs.) Many Benedictine monasteris and certainly monasteries of men do not have grilles and counters and they still practice enclosure. Usually, they have guest parlours or a gate house where they go to visit their families.
[/quote]

Verbi Sponsa is a [i]beautiful[/i] treatise on Enclosure and monasticism in general: [url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccscrlife/documents/rc_con_ccscrlife_doc_13051999_verbi-sponsa_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congrega...-sponsa_en.html[/url]

Thank you for sharing that totus tuus :)

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1162499' date='Jan 12 2007, 09:59 AM']
The Phoenix sisters are not yet Canonically erected, and therefore are not papal enclosed at this time. They hope (and long!) to be papal enclosed within the next three years. The three of them who have made vows of papal enclosure are dispensed from the vow for the time being (kind of like it's being put "on hold" for a while) since they are starting a foundation which cannot at this time be papal enclosed. One of them is an Extern, so naturally this vow does not apply to her at any time. Mother Angelica's Nuns [i]are[/i] papal enclosed (as they are canonically erected already, of course). They receive permission from the bishop of Birmingham when they have a pertinent reason to leave the cloister. At the beginning of each year he approves their doctor's appointments, etc. (to which they are taken by extern sisters). For the 25th Anniversary celebration they attended in Birmingham, that was a [i]big[/i] thing, which they did have separate permission from the bishop to attend. Extern sisters perform all of the duties outside of the cloister (i.e., grocery shopping) so that the vow of Enclosure is not compromised by the cloistered Nuns.
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

According to the pictures, are they no longer the 'Nix Six and back to being the Phoenix Phive?

Have a great weekend,
~m

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='melikalani' post='1162989' date='Jan 12 2007, 08:18 PM']
Peace be with you!

According to the pictures, are they no longer the 'Nix Six and back to being the Phoenix Phive?

Have a great weekend,
~m
[/quote]
Did someone leave, I hadn't noticed, does anyone know for sure?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1163056' date='Jan 12 2007, 09:18 PM']
Did someone leave, I hadn't noticed, does anyone know for sure?
[/quote]

Sr. Johanna is back at OLAM. She was in their Christmas newsletter.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1163119' date='Jan 12 2007, 09:12 PM']
Sr. Johanna is back at OLAM. She was in their Christmas newsletter.
[/quote]
:rolleyes: yup. She came back in October.