An Old School Catholic Message Board

The New Converts - God Is Rearranging His Garden

Katholikos

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' post='1124918' date='Nov 21 2006, 01:14 AM']
I just wanna say that I found out that the RCIA guidelines, with reference to those who come into full communion after having already been baptized, forbids calling them "converts."

Not judging the post or anything...just found that interesting and wanted to share.
[/quote]
Right... but English doesn't really give us any good alternatives-- reconcilers? The reconciled? full-communioners? Former catecumens?

"Converts," while not technically correct is sure a lot easier.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1124988' date='Nov 21 2006, 09:13 AM']
Right... but English doesn't really give us any good alternatives-- reconcilers? The reconciled? full-communioners? Former catecumens?

"Converts," while not technically correct is sure a lot easier.
[/quote]
I know and I agree...I actually started a long discussion on this with my RCIA teacher (not that I'm in RCIA, but that I'm learning the catechetics behind RCIA). I think it's okay colloquially, but not in a catechetical setting. I just thought it was interesting.

cathoholic_anonymous

How about 'revert'? The Catechism states that we're all born to know God. We were fashioned by Him and for Him. So when you convert to Catholicism you are really just entering into your true element, so it seems to me.

mulls,

I understand what you're saying. Honestly, I think Catholics WANT to excuse those who leave the Church. We want to believe that they didn't know the splendor of truth here, that they never really grasped it, that they are seeking in shadows for what is concrete only in the Catholic Church. The alternative is that they left knowing full well what the Catholic Church is, and they will have to face Our Lord in judgement with that knowledge.

I think it is often the case that those who leave the Church leave for straw men and precarious reasoning; not only for Protestantism, but for Eastern Orthodoxy and even non-Christian religions. Whether it is the case in any specific circumstance, we can't generalize. But Catholics want to find a reason to excuse someone for ignorance, because we want to leave a charitable hope open for their salvation, and not assume that they left knowing in their heart of hearts what the Church teaches, and knowing that it is true.

Most prominent converts from Protestantism are very respecting and appreciative of their former heritage; can the same be said of Catholic converts to Protestantism? These converts often despise Catholicism, and display a profound ignorance of what the Church teaches; accusations that Catholics worship Mary and statues and that we believe we earn our way into Heaven, for example, are usually based on superficial proof-texting, and the accusations don't correspond to the reality of Catholic theology. Any Catholic who knows anything about their faith knows that the idea that we worship anyone or anything but God is absurd, which is why we laugh the accusation off; and yet the accusations persist from former Catholics. Either they are willfully misrepresenting what the Church teaches, or they were never very knowledgeble about Catholicism to begin with (and possibly they have just been led astray by others who don't know the first thing about Catholicism). Which is the more charitable intepretation?

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1124708' date='Nov 20 2006, 06:26 PM'] They don't even know what the Catholic Church itself teaches about Salvific Grace.
[/quote]
Try me. Having become Catholic one year ago yesterday, I have studdied the different forms of grace. If you want to give me a quiz.... LETS GIT IT ON!! :) The grace doctrines are beautiful.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1124708' date='Nov 20 2006, 06:26 PM'] Their relationship with the Catholic Church IS their relationship with Jesus.[/quote]
Christ is in a one flesh union with his bride. The two have become one. It is a covenant, not a contract.

Wife: Do you love me?
Husband: Do I love you??? I am you!!

[quote]More than 600 Protestant clergy have left their ministry to become Catholic through only one organization -- the Coming Home Network. Four hundred more are also on the journey to Rome, as was announced at CHN's Deep in Scripture conference last year.[/quote]

Praise the Lord! Indeed the Lord is re-arranging his garden!

[quote name='Raphael' post='1124918' date='Nov 21 2006, 01:14 AM']
I just wanna say that I found out that the RCIA guidelines, with reference to those who come into full communion after having already been baptized, forbids calling them "converts."

Not judging the post or anything...just found that interesting and wanted to share.
[/quote]

I cant say Hybrid, or convert? Does that mean I cant say "converted" I have used the term reconcilled, or revert since I was catholic as a child..but c'mon

Have any of you converts (JSWranch, Revprodji, et al.) written your conversion story? I wanna read 'em! Are they posted anywhere?

The Coming Home Network (CHN) website has a collection of great conversion stories (with one exception). You could offer your story to CHN and maybe be of help to others on the journey home.

You can read my story at CHN if you're so inclined. Go to [url="http://www.chnetwork.org"]http://www.chnetwork.org[/url]. At the home page, click on "Conversion Stories," then scroll down to my name: Jay Damien.

I love conversion stories! If any of you have encountered James White (perhaps the best anti-Catholic Protestant apologist in the U.S.), his sister's conversion story is at CHN also. Look for Patty Bonds.

============================
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

homeschoolmom

Conversion stories are well-hidden... you can find them here:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=10382"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=10382[/url]

I love conversion stories too. One of the great things I've started to find at my school (which is Catholic) is other people like me who have converted or are converting. So far, I know of at least two professors who are converts, and there's one student who at the moment is in RCIA. And HSDad comes here for daily Mass sometimes, so that increases our convert population by one for 30 minutes or so. :)

I might have to start a club!

[quote name='Raphael' post='1125002' date='Nov 21 2006, 07:42 AM']
I know and I agree...I actually started a long discussion on this with my RCIA teacher (not that I'm in RCIA, but that I'm learning the catechetics behind RCIA). I think it's okay colloquially, but not in a catechetical setting. I just thought it was interesting.
[/quote]
I use the term convert for myself, although I know that the RCIA guidelines are a little stricter on the nomenclature.

But ... I have found in general that the ideals for RCIA are not always implemented well.

One of the things that I have long had issues with is the common practice of receiving former Protestants into full communion at Easter. I mean, I love the service, but the symbolism there is all wrong. Protestants are "separated brethren" and the guidelines state that if possible they should be received at a separate time, as a means of distinguishing reception of people who have been properly baptized and are brethren, but separate, from those who are being baptized.

I suppose from a practical standpoint that it's just simpler to do it all at once, and Easter is definitely an aesthetically pleasing service (my favorite of the year). But I think the distinction is an important one, as it speaks to the relationship between the Catholic Church and Protestant churches, as opposed to that of the Catholic Church with the unchurched.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1126199' date='Nov 22 2006, 04:33 PM']
i have mentioned parts of my story here before, if you want I can PM you. I always feel weird with my story.
[/quote]I recently returned to the House of dUSt after a long absence due to illness, so I prolly missed those earlier posts. I don't want to make you uncomfortable, but I'd be veeeeeeeery interested. If you ever feel like writing, e-mail me at katholikos@cox.net.

Thanks! Jay

=======================
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1125994' date='Nov 22 2006, 09:14 AM']
Conversion stories are well-hidden... you can find them here:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=10382"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=10382[/url]
[/quote]
Can we keep this under an "important topic" section?

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=10382&view=findpost&p=886374"]Here I am.[/url]