An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Giving Of Jesus Dolls

dairygirl4u2c

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

why or why not

I'd accept that they should give the dolls to people who want htem, but rememeber the issue is random.

Ah yes, the inevitable Dairygirl poll on this pressing issue!

And I think we all need to also ask the important question:
What if the dolls are defective, and make siren noises rather than quote Scripture when you press the button??

(If anyone's puzzled by the "siren noises" reference, [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=59419"]go here[/url], [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=59421"]here[/url] or [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=59422"]here![/url])

Edited by Socrates

dairygirl4u2c

I think Socrates fails to truly understand that true debate lies in philosophy. You make arguments using analogies to make your point and reduce the other side's argument as much as possible. Of course with every similiarity in an alalogy there's always a greater dissimilarity, so it can get messy and bad analogies occasionally come up. The trick is finding the right way to frame and debate and potentially get the other side to accept your position as their anaolgies or arguments are shown to be less substantive or wrong.

It's not expounding on set doctrine and pointing out obvious flaws in other's debates. It's even not stating your claim regardless of how well thought out it is. It's willing to accept clashing philsophies are going to cause complex chaos that needs sorted out and people willing to do do the sorting. Especially if they are in the debate forum.

It'd also be fruitful if you all made analogies to dissent. That way, you could make your points, and see how it can be difficult to make analogies. No one does it, that's how I know you can't do it. Everytime you do, there'll be a dissimilarity that anyone can point out. Of course this being a catholic forum, there won't be many to criticize it.

PS I do concede this might not be the most pressing issue. But, I do think it has underlying principles that people who claim to be Christian need to think about. I probably should have said they were a christian in the government, but i don't feel like making a new poll.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1122809' date='Nov 17 2006, 10:09 PM']
I think Socrates fails to truly understand that true debate lies in philosophy. You make arguments using analogies to make your point and reduce the other side's argument as much as possible. Of course with every similiarity in an alalogy there's always a greater dissimilarity, so it can get messy and bad analogies occasionally come up. The trick is finding the right way to frame and debate and potentially get the other side to accept your position as their anaolgies or arguments are shown to be less substantive or wrong.

It's not expounding on set doctrine and pointing out obvious flaws in other's debates. It's even not stating your claim regardless of how well thought out it is. It's willing to accept clashing philsophies are going to cause complex chaos that needs sorted out and people willing to do do the sorting. Especially if they are in the debate forum.

It'd also be fruitful if you all made analogies to dissent. That way, you could make your points, and see how it can be difficult to make analogies. No one does it, that's how I know you can't do it. Everytime you do, there'll be a dissimilarity that anyone can point out. Of course this being a catholic forum, there won't be many to criticize it.

PS I do concede this might not be the most pressing issue. But, I do think it has underlying principles that people who claim to be Christian need to think about. I probably should have said they were a christian in the government, but i don't feel like making a new poll.
[/quote]
I didn't know you could write paragraphs.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1122784' date='Nov 17 2006, 09:40 PM']
What if the dolls are defective, and make siren noises rather than quote Scripture when you press the button??
[/quote]

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

I think that DairyGirl should converse at these topics in person with others in a university after she gets her doctorates in philosophy and theology.

• 1 month later...

I also don't like the ideas of Jesus dolls if they are not very respectful and reverent and made to be venerated as would any other icon.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1122336' date='Nov 17 2006, 12:50 PM']
why or why not

I'd accept that they should give the dolls to people who want htem, but rememeber the issue is random.
[/quote]
I wouldn't give a doll of Jesus because I don't believe in Idol Worship.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Exodus 20:4.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='FullTruth' post='1158127' date='Jan 7 2007, 01:17 PM']
I wouldn't give a doll of Jesus because I don't believe in Idol Worship.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Exodus 20:4.
[/quote]

Do you own a nativity set? Or for that matter photos of your loved ones? Isn't that idol worship to display such photos or images of them?