An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christianity And Islam, Can We Not Find Peace Together?

Pax Christi

Benedict XVI Meets With Muslim Philosopher
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 13, 2006 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI received in audience a Muslim philosopher from Algeria who is known for his commitment to battling religious hatred.

"I was impressed by his welcome and attention, face to face," said Mustapha Cherif, an expert on Islam at the University of Algiers, after the audience Saturday. His comments were reported in a message sent to ZENIT.

Cherif, 50, had requested the audience prior to the Muslim reactions to the Pope's address in Regensburg, Germany, on Sept. 12.

The Holy Father had read an appeal for dialogue, launched by Cherif in the Parisian newspaper Le Monde. The Algerian professor also expressed concern after Benedict XVI's decision to appoint the same cardinal to head the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue and the Pontifical Council for Culture.

The Muslim leader had interpreted this latter gesture as a lack of sensitivity by the Pope to interreligious dialogue, lessening the weight and identity of that Vatican dicastery.

The audience took place as the Holy Father prepares for his Nov. 28-Dec. 1 trip to Turkey, an overwhelmingly Muslim country.

Speaking about the audience, Cherif said that the Holy Father assured him that Christians and Muslims are "allies and friends."

However, the professor continued, "the return of racial and religious hatred, of anti-Semitism, which has as its objective Muslims in particular, is a threat to all."

Cherif said: "The Holy Father, better than any one, knows that, at the ethical level, one of the missions of the Church is to oppose this foul beast, Faustian logic and warmongering policies, the deformation of religions.

"We Muslims, I told him, are convinced that Your Holiness will say what is right in regard to the problems of the world so that injustices and racism will recede. He shared fully the idea that we have need of objective critical thought and messages of fraternity."

What Islam asks

Cherif said he expressed his vision of Islam and "the Pope listened to me with kindness. … In regard to violence, I explained that Islam asks each one of its believers to forgive in the face of adversity, to be patient and merciful.

"In regard to collective responsibility in the face of aggressions, in order to avoid entering the logic of the wolf and the lamb [and] to protect the right of peoples' existence, Islam codifies in a strict manner recourse to the 'just war' -- which the Prophet described as 'little' jihad -- as legitimate defense."

The principle of the "just war" and not of the "holy war" implies "never being the aggressor, protecting civilians -- and in particular Christian monks, the weak -- the environment and always being equitable," said Cherif.

"St. Augustine did not propose something different. He assented with a smile," added the Muslim. "The great jihad is the effort for self-control, toward spiritual elevation, toward beautiful works. This definition seemed to him to be a salutary illumination, which should be known."

The Algerian philosopher explained that "our duty consists in criticizing vulgar blends between Islam and extremism. The Muslim community can regenerate itself and help the modern world, which is going through a tragic moment, despite the prodigious scientific progress, to reinvent a new civilization which is so necessary."

Cherif said that Benedict XVI "told me that one of the problems of our time is the extreme secularization and that we must witness with courage and reason the religious dimension of existence."

The Algerian professor said he made three proposals to the Holy Father:

-- "the holding of an interreligious colloquium on the topic of the struggle against religious hatred."

-- "the sensitization of the international community on the condemnable character of offenses and attacks against religions' sacred symbols," and on respect for the right "of freedom of expression and criticism."

-- The "expansion of groups and networks of friendship, dialogue and Muslim-Christian research throughout the world."

Cherif added: "The Holy Father told me that he shares fully our concerns, and totally supports these noble objectives. This unforgettable dialogue of faith and thought, open to others, opposed to all hatreds, is a sign of hope."

[url="http://www.catholic.net/global_catholic_news/template_news.phtml?news_id=98164"]http://www.catholic.net/global_catholic_ne...l?news_id=98164[/url]

I found this article interesting as the Holy Father moves towards open dialogue with not only Islam but of other Christian faiths as well. In another article I had read, other faiths seemed interested in being "in communion" with the Vatican. What are your thoughts on this?

Maybe and maybe not for two reasons.
1) Guadalupe is Mexican. Fatima might be a more relevant choice.
2) The Crescent is turned upwards as if she was standing in the middle of it.

Given the muslim theology of jihad, I am not optimistic. No harm in trying though. might lead to opportunities for sharing the Gospel message to those who otherwise might not hear it.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1121547' date='Nov 16 2006, 11:13 AM']
Given the muslim theology of jihad, I am not optimistic. No harm in trying though. might lead to opportunities for sharing the Gospel message to those who otherwise might not hear it.
[/quote]
"Jihad" ultimately means "change" not "war".
"The great jihad is the effort for self-control, toward spiritual elevation, toward beautiful works. This definition seemed to him to be a salutary illumination, which should be known."
After reading a little more on Our Lady Of Guadalupe and Islam I was suprised to find hat the "Virgin Mary" is mentioned 30 some odd times whereas Mohammed's mother isn't mentioned at all. Mary is actually reveared by Muslims. I find that interesting.

It's great that we are in an interval of peace. Let's hope that we can share the Gospel readily and peacfully, without anymore bloodshed.

Praise God.

Actually, it means "struggle". Though certainly change can be a struggle. One of the things that concerns me about the islamic theology of "jihad" is that many passages in the Koran are far less irenic than that quote.

[quote name='Pax Christi' post='1121561' date='Nov 16 2006, 11:37 AM']After reading a little more on Our Lady Of Guadalupe and Islam I was suprised to find hat the "Virgin Mary" is mentioned 30 some odd times whereas Mohammed's mother isn't mentioned at all. Mary is actually reveared by Muslims. I find that interesting.
[/quote]

Jesus is also revered by Muslims as a "great prophet." The Koran states that Jesus will return at the end of the world.

The more I learn about Islam, the more I recognize that it is essentially a Christian heresy that got out of control.

[quote name='Pax Christi' post='1121561' date='Nov 16 2006, 04:37 PM']
"Jihad" ultimately means "change" not "war".
"The great jihad is the effort for self-control, toward spiritual elevation, toward beautiful works. This definition seemed to him to be a salutary illumination, which should be known."
After reading a little more on Our Lady Of Guadalupe and Islam I was suprised to find hat the "Virgin Mary" is mentioned 30 some odd times whereas Mohammed's mother isn't mentioned at all. Mary is actually reveared by Muslims. I find that interesting.
[/quote]

That definition of greater Jihad is indeed correct but did you know in the Medieval period Muslim scholars distinguished between greater and lesser Jihad? Moreover, do you know what is considered an act of aggression against the Dar-al-Islam and what justifies lesser Jihad?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Islam-Catholics-Robert-Spencer/dp/0965922855/sr=1-1/qid=1163713355/ref=sr_1_1/103-3086494-5310227?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Inside Islam: A Guide for Catholics[/url]. Worth buying in my opinion...

all this politically correct coddling of the Muslims is lame. They should be accountable for what they do, then we can talk about peace. If they hit us, I say we hit them back. We keep seeing this double standard where Muslims aren't criticized for their history that began in violence, and continues in violence to this very day.

Wherever there is Islam, there is fighting. Look at Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa...

I don't believe there is any legitimacy to their religion. None. They need to convert. Let's just put that out there right now.

The Peace of Christ is the only real peace we'll ever know.

[quote name='Pax Christi' post='1121561' date='Nov 16 2006, 10:37 AM']

[/quote]

Muslims venerate Mary more than prots. Whenever I'm in Lebanon and go to a pilgramage to our Lady, I always see Muslims there. I saw the same thing in Syria too last summer.

[quote name='Myles Domini' post='1121804' date='Nov 16 2006, 04:45 PM']
That definition of greater Jihad is indeed correct but did you know in the Medieval period Muslim scholars distinguished between greater and lesser Jihad? Moreover, do you know what is considered an act of aggression against the Dar-al-Islam and what justifies lesser Jihad?

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Islam-Catholics-Robert-Spencer/dp/0965922855/sr=1-1/qid=1163713355/ref=sr_1_1/103-3086494-5310227?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Inside Islam: A Guide for Catholics[/url]. Worth buying in my opinion...
[/quote]

I have a feeling that a book written about Islam by Catholics may seem a bit biased and may unintentionally distort facts. Isn't it better to read about Islam from a Muslims scholar or just to read the Koran?

Edited by musturde

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1121851' date='Nov 16 2006, 05:32 PM']
all this politically correct coddling of the Muslims is lame. They should be accountable for what they do, then we can talk about peace. If they hit us, I say we hit them back. We keep seeing this double standard where Muslims aren't criticized for their history that began in violence, and continues in violence to this very day.[/quote]
An atheist can use this same arguement for any religion. In reality, Islam is misenterpretted by many for the sake of their own political agenda or cause.

[quote]
Wherever there is Islam, there is fighting. Look at Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa...[/quote]
The "Christian" nation of America has never gotten into any wars either. How about Ireland? England had a bad history as well. Very many Lebanese Christians went to war with eachother and still hate eachother because each side stupidly follows their political leader as if he was God. The people themselves are what need to be changed, it is not the religion.

[quote]
I don't believe there is any legitimacy to their religion. None. They need to convert. Let's just put that out there right now.
[/quote]
Even if you wanted to convert them, you should at least try to learn about their religion correctly so you could present Christianity to them.

Edited by musturde

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1121851' date='Nov 16 2006, 06:32 PM']
all this politically correct coddling of the Muslims is lame. They should be accountable for what they do, then we can talk about peace. If they hit us, I say we hit them back. We keep seeing this double standard where Muslims aren't criticized for their history that began in violence, and continues in violence to this very day.

Wherever there is Islam, there is fighting. Look at Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa...

The Peace of Christ is the only real peace we'll ever know.
[/quote]
Amen.