An Old School Catholic Message Board

Toys For Tots Turns Down Jesus Doll

Sojourner

I can see both sides. One side says that they are giving the gifts out to families of various religious backgrounds, but the other side of me says but they are Christmas gifts.

This is kind of funny if you think about it....
because last I checked Christmas was a Christian Holiday. You know with Jesus being born and all that good stuff? And they have to not give out Jesus dolls because of all of the non-Christians.

Lets face it guys.
We rock, and everyone wants to be us....everyone celebrates Christmas...even if you aren't Christian!

homeschoolmom

[quote]Grein also questioned whether children would welcome a gift designed for religious instruction. "Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun," he said.[/quote]

I think that's what he's saying.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1120085' date='Nov 14 2006, 06:58 PM']
I think what nobody wanted to say was that those dolls sound like a really lame gift.
[/quote]
:lol:

KnightofChrist

So I guess the people over at TFT are only going to take unisex toys now, to avoid giving boys toys to girls and girls toys to boys. Wouldnt want to offend a family with all boys or one with all girls now would we.

Might as well while their at it, ban black and white dolls. Would not want to offend a white family by giving their daughter a black barbie, or a black family a white barbie.

Sounds pretty dang stupid doesnt it, they wouldnt really be using their God given reason if they did that now would they.

But when its that Christian God "Jesus" its just fine to ban that, its not bigotry is equality. Telling a Marine that when he or she puts on the uniform he or she must rip out their faith to avoid professing "one religion over another" is a good and just thing.

Liberalism at its finest!

[img]http://www.messengersoffaith.net/images/Jesus1b.jpg[/img]

That's what the doll in this case actually looks like.

As I said in the thread I started on this topic earlier today, I think the TFT people made the right decision, given the nature of TFT. There are many organizations that would be a better fit for this company to donate to, as has already been mentioned.

But aside from that, I find myself a little uncomfortable with a Jesus doll in general ... and, I suppose, with toys based on biblical themes in general. Maybe I'm being too much of a stickler, but it just seems that it's important that we remember that the people whose stories are in the Bible are more than just characters -- they were real people who lived and loved and demonstrated faith in God and so on. It seems ... belittling to turn them into action figures, even Bible-verse spouting action figures.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1120194' date='Nov 14 2006, 06:46 PM']
So I guess the people over at TFT are only going to take unisex toys now, to avoid giving boys toys to girls and girls toys to boys. Wouldnt want to offend a family with all boys or one with all girls now would we.

Might as well while their at it, ban black and white dolls. Would not want to offend a white family by giving their daughter a black barbie, or a black family a white barbie.

Sounds pretty dang stupid doesnt it, they wouldnt really be using their God given reason if they did that now would they.

But when its that Christian God "Jesus" its just fine to ban that, its not bigotry is equality. Telling a Marine that when he or she puts on the uniform he or she must rip out their faith to avoid professing "one religion over another" is a good and just thing.

Liberalism at its finest!
[/quote]

Right. That's exactly what it is. Liberalism. Cuz those Marines are all so liberal.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1120085' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:58 PM']
I think what nobody wanted to say was that those dolls sound like a really lame gift.
[/quote]
Yeah I don't think they're all that great myself. It seems kinda demeaning to reduce Jesus to being an action figure.

homeschoolmom

I don't think it's an action figure, per se. I mean, David and Goliath would be good action figures. I think this is a soft, cuddly Jesus doll.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1120246' date='Nov 14 2006, 09:39 PM']
Right. That's exactly what it is. Liberalism. Cuz those Marines are all so liberal.[/quote]

Is this a debate or pointless comment time? The actions of TFT to banned a Jesus doll, just because it is a Jesus doll is Liberalism, the marines are being forced to liberalism.

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1120246' date='Nov 14 2006, 09:39 PM']
Yeah I don't think they're all that great myself. It seems kinda demeaning to reduce Jesus to being an action figure.
[/quote]

Is it "demeaning" to reduce Jesus to a statue? No. [b]What about these dolls is demeaning?[/b]

I can't argue with this. Catholic parents: Would you really want your kid being given a Mohammed or Buddha doll, particularly a talking one? I thought not. I think this particularly toy is inappropriate for the charity in question.

While I disagree with Sojourner's general tendency to be against anything at all religious in public, I don't have really strong feelings on this. Mostly because a "talking Jesus doll" seems awfully tacky imho! And it seems such a toy could all too easily be used disrespectfully by any kids who are not devout Christians. (Though no doubt some Christians would find such a toy offensive, particularly those fundies who are strict with their interpretation of the "no graven images" thing.)

However, this looks to me like just more p.c. secularism. (When is it the place of TFT to declare which toys are and aren't fun? And most toys risk going to kids who will not like them anyway.)

[quote name='Jalazar' post='1120281' date='Nov 14 2006, 10:09 PM']
I can't argue with this. Catholic parents: Would you really want your kid being given a Mohammed or Buddha doll, particularly a talking one? I thought not. I think this particularly toy is inappropriate for the charity in question.
[/quote]
A devout Muslim would never make a "talking Mohammed doll" obviously. And personally, I would find a talking Buddha doll freakin' hilarious, but that's just me. I'm weird like that.

And ignoring the whole doll thing for a second, I often feel that Christians now are way too afraid to show or proclaim the Faith to others, for fear of offending others. It's like we've all been brainwashed by the whole multicultural thing.

Edited by Socrates