An Old School Catholic Message Board

Toys For Tots Turns Down Jesus Doll

Sojourner

[url="http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/11/14/toys_for_tots_rejects_jesus_doll/"]Boston Globe article here[/url]
And since I've had problems linking to Globe articles ...
[quote]LOS ANGELES --A talking Jesus doll has been turned down by the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program.

A suburban Los Angeles company offered to donate 4,000 of the foot-tall dolls, which quote Bible verses, for distribution to needy children this holiday season. The battery-powered Jesus is one of several dolls manufactured by one2believe, a division of the Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co., based on Biblical figures.

But the charity balked because of the dolls' religious nature.

Toys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.

As a government entity, Marines "don't profess one religion over another," Grein said Tuesday. "We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family."

Michael La Roe, director of business development for both companies, said the charity's decision left him "surprised and disappointed."

"The idea was for them to be three-dimensional teaching tools for kids," La Roe said. "I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible."

According to the company's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus, dressed in hand-sewn cloth outfits and sandals, recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." It has a $20 retail value.

Grein also questioned whether children would welcome a gift designed for religious instruction. "Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun," he said.

The program distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children in 2005.[/quote]

I'm interested to hear what people think about this.

And just so there's no question about where I stand on it, I think this was the right decision by the TFT people.

+

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_re_us/jesus_doll_rejected"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_...s_doll_rejected[/url]

[quote]oys are donated to kids based on financial need and "we don't know anything about their background, their religious affiliations," said Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va.[/quote]

Think about it. Would you want them distributing a Buddha doll to a Christian family?

[quote name='RC_' post='1119931' date='Nov 14 2006, 03:16 PM']
Think about it. Would you want them distributing a Buddha doll to a Christian family?
[/quote]

+

Does not equate.

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1119921' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:05 PM']
And just so there's no question about where I stand on it, I think this was the right decision by the TFT people.
[/quote]
Absolutely. If they have no way of knowing the religious background of the people, it doesn't make much sense to give out 1-foot tall talking Jesus dolls.

How so?

This is a private organization, and does not have a religious affiliation, therefore it doesn't want to give away Jesus dolls because they are not religiously affiliated.

They are still doing a good cause. :-)

Edited by zabbazooey

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='RC_' post='1119951' date='Nov 14 2006, 04:30 PM']
If the family wasn't Chrisitian, that would be a really crappy gift to get.
[/quote]
Probably. But I'm Catholic and I think it would be pretty sweet to get a one foot tall talking Buddha. hehe

:idontknow:

Makes sense to me. Why doesn't the company donate the dolls to a religious Church organization. Or the Salvation Army?

Are they tryin to make a point? Or trying to get toys to children?

Well, since Toys for Tots is designed to give away toys to those less fortunate then others on Christmas, I can see what the Company was thinking... Kind of hard to take Jesus out of Christmas.

But Toys for Tots was not designed to preach the word. It was designed so that poor kids would have something nice for Christmas.

Unless you were Christian, a Jesus doll would be gift that wouldn't be appreciated, and would most likely cause ill-will toward Christians in general.

and that's why they rejected the toy.

Part of the actual mission statement for TfTs is "to help needy children throughout the United States experience the joy of Christmas".
For a Christian company, the joy of Christmas would be focused on the Birth of Christ, which is probably why they offered the donation. With luck they weren't just trying to make a statement and offer the dolls to an organization willing to accept them.