An Old School Catholic Message Board

Democrats For Life

Jaime

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1117617' date='Nov 11 2006, 03:13 PM']
Thanks for posting the website Jas, I forgot. And let me get this straight, you've got a problem with them because their argument is based on ethics and not religion? "Sorry I know you're against abortion but you won't publicly declare that its because of God, so I'm not going to support you"

What kind of goofy argument is that?

And your speaking for Catholics again? Well that's a start
[/quote]
No. I'm not speaking for Catholics. I'm speaking as anti-abortion on moral and spiritual basis.
My problem is with Cathlic Democrats who do not follow the Catholic teaching on Abortion and are not really anti-abortion. Dems 4 Life is anit-abortion, but either as far as it having moral or spiritual basis for justification.
The point is, just claiming "Catholic" in politics is not neccessarily being true to the Catholic stance on abortion.
Due to the deceptive nature of politics, it is my opinion, that getting the Dem party to change is less likely than getting an old elephant to lose weight. (great pun, huh?) You're welcome to disagree.

But, just as Bush doesn't meet all the critera for the Catholic stance on abortion, neither do Dems for Life, and ESPECIALLY the Catholic Democrats. Unless I'm wrong in my understanding of what Catholics teach.

[quote]Dink
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Dink could refer to:

DINK is a term used to define the "Dual Income, No Kids" demographic group.
Across Australia a "Dink" (sometimes "Dinky") is to give someone a lift on your pushbike. A dink can be given on the handlebars, sidebar or on the back.
The word "dink" or "dinky" is also a euphemism parents use to name the penis for small children. Note that dinky has a range of other meanings in various countries.
"DINK" also means a small auxiliary boat affixed to a sailboat. See also dinghy.
Claude Giroux (wrestler) depicted a clown known as Dink in the World Wrestling Federation.
Also used as an insult. ("He's such a dink!") Common in Canada and New England. Euphemism for "di--".[mod][/mod]
Dink - 1990's alternative techno-rock band from Kent, OH.
The Dinks are a group of munchkin-like characters in red robes in the 1987 movie Spaceballs.
"Dink" is a scooter brand, manufactured by Kymco. See Dink Scooter.
"Dink" is also used to mean "Mess With" as in "I'm going to dink with that until it works". Along similar lines, in computer science, to increment or decrement a counter, as in "In counting from 4 to 6, it dinks the counter two times".
Dink, the Little Dinosaur, a children's animated series broadcast in the United States in the 1980s.
"Dink" (U.S. Vietnam era) was used as a derogatory reference for North Vietnamese soldiers or guerrillas. See List of ethnic slurs.
Dink Smallwood is the name of a PC RPG made in 1997 and is also the name of the main character.
Dink Meeker is a character in the Ender's Game series of books by Orson Scott Card.
"Dink" is a hypocorism for the given name Dennis.
"Dink" is also a word in beach volleyball lingo refering to a soft attacking shot travelling in an arc at low velocity. A "dink" in this context is usually strategically directed away from the reach of the blocker and the non-blocking defender. A beach volleyball dink is also known as a 'roll-shot'.
[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dink"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dink[/url]

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1117651' date='Nov 11 2006, 05:04 PM']
No. I'm not speaking for Catholics. I'm speaking as anti-abortion on moral and spiritual basis.
My problem is with Cathlic Democrats who do not follow the Catholic teaching on Abortion and are not really anti-abortion. Dems 4 Life is anit-abortion, but either as far as it having moral or spiritual basis for justification.
The point is, just claiming "Catholic" in politics is not neccessarily being true to the Catholic stance on abortion.
Due to the deceptive nature of politics, it is my opinion, that getting the Dem party to change is less likely than getting an old elephant to lose weight. (great pun, huh?) You're welcome to disagree.

But, just as Bush doesn't meet all the critera for the Catholic stance on abortion, neither do Dems for Life, and ESPECIALLY the Catholic Democrats. Unless I'm wrong in my understanding of what Catholics teach.
[/quote]

Hey you and I are in absolute lockstep on Catholic politians that don't follow the teachings of the Church. And I hope you noticed that folks like John Kerry are NOT members of Democrats for Life. I honestly don't know if any of the DFLA members are Catholic. I haven't looked into it. What I have looked into is there is a growing group of dems that are realizing that promoting death isn't the right course of action.

IF we are going to celebrate that the republicans are against abortion, I think we should celebrate at the same level (actually I think we could celebrate it more) when democrats go directly against their party to fight against abortion.

Now we have 8 DFLA members serving our nation. That number will grow.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1117641' date='Nov 11 2006, 03:50 PM']
Here's the thing. Dems for life are the only eal pro-lifers. They are againist the total Culture of Death- (abortion, Euthanasia, DP, war, ext.) Now, there many anti-aboriton Republicans were aren't pro-life, for to be Pro-life one must support the whole Culture of Life, not just one issue.
[/quote]

You've got it wrong. While there's never any justification for abortion and euthanasia, war and the death penalty CAN be justified. That's what the Church teaches. So just because someone is anti-abortion and anti-euthanasia but pro-DP and pro-war doesn't mean they're not pro-life.

a dem asked me if i voted Democrat and I said "now why would i do something like that".

When Kennedy, Pelosi, Kerry, Edwards, Dean, Clinton and the rest of the libbies with such mindstates take a hike maybe ill consider voting democrat.

Ooooh My mistake

Jas was quoting an organization that has NOTHING to do with Democrats for Life

This is there website [url="http://www.democratsforlife.org/"]http://www.democratsforlife.org/[/url]

I'm sure it was just an honest mistake on Jas's part

Dude, you've got to try reading my entire post.

I said it was from Catholic Democrats, not Dems 4 Life. I was pointing out that Dems 4 Life are going to have to deal with pro-Abort libs and the Cath Dems(who aren't as anti-Abort).
And another thing, jas is an anacronym.

KnightofChrist

Fall 1994: As Governor, Nelson states he would sign pro-choice legislation

* Nelson stated to a caller on his monthly radio call-in show that he would sign pro-life or pro-choice legislation. (LJS – 11/4/94)

December 5, 2000: Nebraska Planned Parenthood PAC supports Ben Nelson

* Nebraska Planned Parenthood Voters for Choice PAC made an independent expenditure on behalf of Ben Nelson & Al Gore and against their Republican opponents Don Stenberg & George W. Bush. (Nebraska Planned Parenthood Voters for Choice FEC Report)

July 9, 2003: Nelson votes to weaken Mexico City Policy and allow US aid to go to foreign organizations that use their own money for abortion

* The amendment was offered by California Democrat Senator Barbara Boxer. (S.Amdt. 1141)

* Nelson voted pro-choice with Senators Boxer, Clinton, Durbin, Feinstein, Kennedy, & Daschle.

* Senators that voted pro-life: Brownback, Dole, Grassley, Hagel, Lott, & McConnell.

* Julie Schmit-Albin, Executive Director of Nebraska Right to Life, atated on Nebraska Statepaper.com that Nelson’s vote against the Mexico City Policy was not a prolife vote. “Add diverting from NRL on the Mexico City Policy of overseas population funding,” wrote Schmit-Albin. (nebraska.statepaper.com)

April 2005: Nelson again casts a pro-choice vote

* Nelson voted for the Boxer amendment that would allow the U.S. to fund all health or medical services (including abortion) in countries where abortion is legal. (S.Amdt. 278)

* Nelson voted pro-choice with Senators Boxer, Clinton, Feinstein, Kerry, & Obama.

* Senators that voted pro-life: Brownback, Dole, Grassley, Hagel, Talent, & Thune.

September 22, 2006: Planned Parenthood admits that Nelson is more moderate than Ricketts on reproductive education and health issues

* In a letter published in the Daily Nebraskan, Chris Funk, President & CEO of Planned Parenthood Voters of Nebraska, states that “Nelson is more moderate and Ricketts is more extreme on other reproductive education and health issues.” (Daily Nebraskan – 9/22/06)

2006: Ben Nelson’s PAC focuses contributions on pro-choice, democrat candidates

Since 2001, Ben Nelson’s Nebraska Leadership PAC has contributed $111,000 to candidates that have either been endorsed by a pro-choice organization or received a 100% pro-choice voter rating from NARAL.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Theoketos' post='1117638' date='Nov 11 2006, 02:46 PM']
Holly Molly what would you do with all that money and time? :blink:
[/quote]
I try not to think about it.

Hmm Knight interesting stuff.

Except NARAL gives Nelson a rating of 20% . They're not a big fan of him
[url="http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/choice-action-center/in-congress/congressional-record-on-choice/state.html?state=NE"]http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/choice-act...e.html?state=NE[/url]

You forgot to mention that

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1117913' date='Nov 11 2006, 09:37 PM']
Let's wait and see how they vote on ESCR, judges who may support overturning Roe V. Wade, etc.
[/quote]
Yes yes, I'm definitely in wait and see mode.

this is a good thing for the democratic party. however, when it comes to a pro-life democrat vs. a pro-life republican, I will vote republican because they are more in line by their platform with the principal and ideal of subsidarity; whereas the democrat's platform directly opposes this cornerstone of Catholic Social Justice.

Of course, if I ever run accross a pro-life democrat intent on cutting down on big government programs, leaving decisions and responsibilities at local levels as much as possible, and cutting taxes, I could begin to consider voting for him.

death penalty doesn't affect my vote that much; I think it should always be left on the table as an option by the legislature (seeing as it is, in principal, true justice). And I trust the republicans more with national secuirity.

But yeah, the absolute wrongness of the democrat's platform on big government is something I definitely believe in voting against. While it is not non-negotiable because there are so many factors involved in economics outside the realm of moral dogma, I would argue that good Catholics should probably side (at least rhetorically) with the Republicans on issues of government spending, taxation, and federalism based on the principal of subsidarity... and I do not believe the folks in Democrats for Life are good on these issues.