An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saintly Bilocation Or Simply A Doppelganger?

Budge

Some Catholic saints are praised for having the ability to be two places at once, commonly known as bilocation.

I do not believe this is of God, but is demonic in orgin, Satan mimicking and mocking the things of God, this time omniprecense...

[quote] or other uses, see Doppelgänger (disambiguation).

[b]A doppelgänger (pronunciation (help·info)) is the ghostly — in some cases, the physical — double of a living person. The word "doppelgänger" is a loanword from German, in which language it is written (as with any German noun) with an initial capital letter: Doppelgänger. The word derives from Doppel ("double";) and Gänger ("goer";) .[/b]
In English, the word is conventionally uncapitalized. It is also common to drop the German diacritic umlaut from the letter "ä," writing "doppelganger," although in German the correct spelling without the umlaut would be "doppelgaenger."
[b]
In the vernacular, "Doppelgänger" has come to refer to any double or look-alike of a person—most commonly an "evil twin"—[u]or to bilocation[/u].[/b]

The word is also used to describe a phenomenon whereby one catches his own image out of the corner of his eye. In some traditions, seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death. A doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives may sometimes bring bad luck, or indicate an approaching health problem.[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelganger"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelganger[/url]

[img]http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images2/anthony_padua_bilocation.jpg[/img]

Bilocation and St. Anthony of Padua.

So how can you tell the difference between a doppelganger or a bilocating "saint"?

random claim, no actualy backing to it... what about any instances of bilocation lead you to believe it is demonic? just because it supports Catholicism I suppose. let me ask you this: say someone professing your faith bilocated and said it was a miracle from God. would you think it was from the devil?

the doppleganger theory is just so incredibly improbable and impractical that it doesn't even deserve a response.

this entire claim is without basis... it's absolutely absurd.

Instead of crying its absurd, tell me how do you know the difference?

[quote]let me ask you this: say someone professing your faith bilocated and said it was a miracle from God. would you think it was from the devil?[/quote]

I think the chances of meeting a fundamental Baptist or born again Bible Christian who claims to have bilocated is about 0%.

:lol:

Thats more nonsense for Catholics and Emergent Church apostates.

well, I believe Occam's razor serves me well here: either it is an elaborate hoax wherein many saints were able to find, from somewhere in the world, a lookalike whom they could persuade to keep their secret and pretend to be them in another location to stage a hoax miracle; or it is supernatural.

if it is supernatural, I look to its fruits to look for its source. since its fruits show to me nothing but increased faith in God and His Church, I see its source as God. of course, to you, the Church is bad and thus it is an evil fruit and thus the source must be satan. but don't you see? the debate to be had is nothing new: whether the Church is right or wrong. the only reason you say bilocation is of the devil is because you say the Church is wrong. this topic is thus ridiculous; a random absurd claim made with no real basis.

doppelganger? DOPPELGANGER????

Thanks for the chuckle on a dreary morning. I mean honestly, you deny 2000 years of Apostolic teaching because you can't find it in your almost-the-whole-Bible. But Doppelgangers are fair territory.

You gotta admit, that's hilarious.

Guest JeffCR07

How do we know the difference? The best way to tell is the way Jesus recommended: A good tree bears good fruit, an evil tree bears evil fruit. Moreover, you sound like the scribes and Pharisees when Christ cast out the demon. They said, as you did, that it was the power of the devil. But what is Our Lord's response? A house divided against itself cannot stand. Satan does not do good works. If the Saintly bilocation produces good fruit, then the tree from which that fruit comes is good.

[quote name='Budge' post='1116748' date='Nov 10 2006, 11:03 AM']Thats more nonsense for Catholics and Emergent Church apostates.[/quote]Just curious. Since you're throwing around the term "apostate", it begs the question: apostate from what? Who are you to judge? One more strike against the unified protestantism theory...

Anyway, Budge, you judge that God can't work miracles through His servants. We Catholics believe that He can. Our belief is Biblical (cf. 1 Cor 12:28, 2 Cor 12:12, etc). Yours is not.

If you believe that these miracles are demonic, then you could do us a favor by explaining in what way these individuals led people toward a false doctrine and away from Our Lord. In reality, these are holy saints who were given a gift which was used to glorify Our Lord. Certainly, nothing has been credited to the individual saint, aside from the fact that he had received a grace from the Holy Spirit.

When you return the the Catholic faith, I'd recommend that you attend an Ignatian retreat, because one of the main areas of contemplation is the discernment of spirits (i.e. good vs. evil).

PS: Whatever has you stuck chasing new conspiracy theories day after day can't be a good spirit. Live for the Lord, not for conspiracy theories.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Budge' post='1116738' date='Nov 10 2006, 09:48 AM']

I do not believe this is of God, but is demonic in orgin, Satan mimicking and mocking the things of God, this time omniprecense...

[/quote]

There she goes....there she goes again...

You believe. YOU believe. Once again setting yourself up as the Magisterium. I've said it before...I say it again... All Hail Pope Budgie!!!

I believe the burdon of proof lies on you with this one, love.

:detective:

[img]http://webpages.csus.edu/~eb54/Blue/Vesuvan%20Doppelganger%20(alpha).jpg[/img] [size=7]?[/size]

Edited by scardella

[quote]
I think the chances of meeting a fundamental Baptist or born again Bible Christian who claims to have bilocated is about 0%.[/quote]

I agree

and that's not exactly an argument in your favor budgie

[quote name='Budge' post='1116738' date='Nov 10 2006, 09:48 AM']

So how can you tell the difference between a doppelganger or a bilocating "saint"?
[/quote]

I love riddles.

Um, a doppelganger, instead of preaching against Christ, would preached for Him and do the works He wnated His followers to do?

Wait, that's not funny or clever.

Budge, you are the John Kerry of Phatmass.

So now there is supposely such a thing as a [b]Christian [/b] Doppelganger?

all the bilocating, astral traveling, two places at once folks all teach false doctrine....