An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Knew A Ring Could Mean So Much?

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

I have this ring that I wear on my right hand, on the ring finger. In Europe, this is the finger on which they place the wedding band. I love this ring so much because it means so much to me. It is a very humble ring in its disposition but in its meaning to me, the wearer, it is the most wonderful thing. This is it:

[img]http://static.flickr.com/102/293600745_79f2669fcc_o.jpg[/img] [img]http://static.flickr.com/99/293600747_e2a0feb8e9_o.jpg[/img]

I've had it since about the time I announced my discernment. It is to me my ring of chastity, of trust, and of commitment. It is my reminder of what I am pursuing.. and who is pursuing me. It is very, very simple. I wish I could get a better picture of it so you could see the lines better. From some angles, it looks like an ordinary ring. From others, you can tell its twisted.

The thing I love most is this:

[img]http://static.flickr.com/117/293600749_8250482c0b_o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://static.flickr.com/102/293600751_21d3ce1a9a_o.jpg[/img]

It's like the Trinity!

VeniteAdoremus

Oh, it's so pretty! And even more so because of the meaning.

I have a ring like that with one silver and two bronze bands, but it gives me a rash, so my brother wears it on his little finger. :)

By the way, I'm confused now - in the Netherlands everybody does wear their wedding band on the right hand - except Catholics... (that's how I often check whether people are Catholic.)

puellapaschalis

In the UK, everyone - Catholics, Protestants and the rest - wear wedding rings on their left hand. As VA said, here it depends on which side of the fence you're on. I think in Iberia it's something different again.

A few years ago I had a ring similar to Hughey's. Now I wear a WJD2005 ring on my right hand.

Love and prayers,

PP

Edited by puellapaschalis

+

Ooh! That's neat Hughey! I like the Trinity ring! I wear a rosary ring on my left wedding ring finger -done it for years. I purchased it in Rome for maybe a dollar and had it blessed by JPII and later Benedict at his election! People often ask me what it is, and then I get to tell them about the Rosary and the Pope! :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1116685' date='Nov 10 2006, 04:17 AM']
Oh, it's so pretty! And even more so because of the meaning.

I have a ring like that with one silver and two bronze bands, but it gives me a rash, so my brother wears it on his little finger. :)

By the way, I'm confused now - in the Netherlands everybody does wear their wedding band on the right hand - except Catholics... (that's how I often check whether people are Catholic.)
[/quote]
I know that in America people wear the ring on their left ring finger. And I know that in some places in Europe they wear it on their right. So.. :idontknow:

[quote name='Veritas' post='1116770' date='Nov 10 2006, 10:29 AM']
+

Ooh! That's neat Hughey! I like the Trinity ring! I wear a rosary ring on my left wedding ring finger -done it for years. I purchased it in Rome for maybe a dollar and had it blessed by JPII and later Benedict at his election! People often ask me what it is, and then I get to tell them about the Rosary and the Pope! :)
[/quote]
Thanks! :) I got this ring for very little too (though not quite a dollar, lucky!) and I like it very much. I of course never had it blessed. I'm not sure that I can. But I like it none the less.

It's great to have a ring like yours so that you can share a message. If I wasn't so attached to this one, I'd do something similar. ^_^

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1116847' date='Nov 10 2006, 01:59 PM']
I know that in America people wear the ring on their left ring finger. And I know that in some places in Europe they wear it on their right. So.. :idontknow:
Thanks! :) I got this ring for very little too (though not quite a dollar, lucky!) and I like it very much. I of course never had it blessed. I'm not sure that I can. But I like it none the less.

It's great to have a ring like yours so that you can share a message. If I wasn't so attached to this one, I'd do something similar. ^_^
[/quote]

Mine is on my left (a gold cross ring that I got for a steal, 75% off its full price) ... the only time I've taken it off in almost 10 years (other than when in the shower or when I'm afraid to lose it) was for the time I was an aspirant/postulant.

Yes you can get it blessed ... I had mine blessed by a priest in 2000 (when I suddenly realized that I had been wearing it for so long without a blessing!) No questions were asked, but I suspect he knew what it symbolized without my explaining it.

The ring does mean a lot to me; and it was wierd having to take it off when I left to go to the convent ... I replaced it with a simple silver rosary ring but even that had to come off when I entered postulancy (along with my watch).

-- Carmen

Edited by cmariadiaz

I have a ring. . .white gold, that I wear on my ring finger as well. I was trying to think of something I could wear or keep to remind myself of my desire to commit myself entirely to our Lord. I had forgotten about it for a few days, was in the mall and as I was walking past a jewelry store, I walked in, which was weird because I don't normally go into those stores. I sort of gravitated toward the plain gold bands and when I was near those cases, I was reminded of my desire for a visible sign. So, I bought it.

:idontknow:

When I left the monastery, I thought that perhaps I shouldn't wear it again because I wasn't sure our Lord wanted me to remain single. After a lot of prayer and thinking (and even some attempts at dating) I felt that truly I AM called to be set aside for Him alone. Consecrated single? 3rd order but single? Religious life in the future? That, I don't know. But I do know this. . .my ring is back on. . .and the peace that had been so elusive? Has returned. I haven't a clue what He's got in store for me, but I wait until He's ready to share :love:

Pax. . .

The ring a wear on my ring finger is a gift from a past friend.

When I told her about my private consecration to the Lord, she sent me a sterling silver ring that is a band with the Crown of Thorns around it. I had this ring blessed and just looking at it reminds me of my Beloved. From time to time I would kiss my ring and tell my Beloved how much I love Him.

It will be strange not wearing it when I enter the monastery because I have worn it for a long time.

wow!!!! what beautiful, great ideas! and symbolism! :)

i wear three rings: on my right middle finger, i wear a claddagh ring that my parents gave me.

on my left thumb, i wear a chastity ring...one of the true love waits ones. (it's too big for my size 4.5 ring finger <_< )

on my left ring finger i wear a ring that my parents gave me for my sixteenth birthday: a humble little sapphire (my birth stone) and perhaps an even humbler little diamond.

where did you all find such wonderful, holy rings!? God bless! :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='cmariadiaz' post='1117134' date='Nov 10 2006, 07:39 PM']
Mine is on my left (a gold cross ring that I got for a steal, 75% off its full price) ... the only time I've taken it off in almost 10 years (other than when in the shower or when I'm afraid to lose it) was for the time I was an aspirant/postulant.

Yes you can get it blessed ... I had mine blessed by a priest in 2000 (when I suddenly realized that I had been wearing it for so long without a blessing!) No questions were asked, but I suspect he knew what it symbolized without my explaining it.

The ring does mean a lot to me; and it was wierd having to take it off when I left to go to the convent ... I replaced it with a simple silver rosary ring but even that had to come off when I entered postulancy (along with my watch).

-- Carmen[/quote]
Cool! I'm going to have it blessed today after Mass. :blush:

:o Or maybe I should wait and have it blessed by one of the Franciscans! :think:

[quote name='HisChild' post='1117190' date='Nov 10 2006, 09:12 PM']
I have a ring. . .white gold, that I wear on my ring finger as well. I was trying to think of something I could wear or keep to remind myself of my desire to commit myself entirely to our Lord. I had forgotten about it for a few days, was in the mall and as I was walking past a jewelry store, I walked in, which was weird because I don't normally go into those stores. I sort of gravitated toward the plain gold bands and when I was near those cases, I was reminded of my desire for a visible sign. So, I bought it.

:idontknow:

When I left the monastery, I thought that perhaps I shouldn't wear it again because I wasn't sure our Lord wanted me to remain single. After a lot of prayer and thinking (and even some attempts at dating) I felt that truly I AM called to be set aside for Him alone. Consecrated single? 3rd order but single? Religious life in the future? That, I don't know. But I do know this. . .my ring is back on. . .and the peace that had been so elusive? Has returned. I haven't a clue what He's got in store for me, but I wait until He's ready to share :love:

Pax. . .[/quote]
That's beautiful. :weep: (Excuse my blubbering...)

[quote name='passionheart' post='1117196' date='Nov 10 2006, 09:20 PM']
The ring a wear on my ring finger is a gift from a past friend.

When I told her about my private consecration to the Lord, she sent me a sterling silver ring that is a band with the Crown of Thorns around it. I had this ring blessed and just looking at it reminds me of my Beloved. From time to time I would kiss my ring and tell my Beloved how much I love Him.

It will be strange not wearing it when I enter the monastery because I have worn it for a long time.[/quote]
Again... beautiful.

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1117445' date='Nov 11 2006, 09:08 AM']
where did you all find such wonderful, holy rings!? God bless! :)[/quote]
:ninja: I'll never tell. [color="white"][size=1]American Eagle[/size][/color]

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1117489' date='Nov 11 2006, 11:08 AM']
Cool! I'm going to have it blessed today after Mass. :blush:

:o Or maybe I should wait and have it blessed by one of the Franciscans! :think:

[/quote]

oh man, definitely have it blessed by one of the Franciscans!!!!!

see if you can get Fr. Terry to do it if you see him! he's wonderful. he's from maine. he's a saint. :blush:

he gave me a new one-liner last weekend while we were talking. it's really quite wonderful, especially for when you're feeling down or discouraged: "I am pure, I am holy, and I am loved by God."

*edit: the white on the gray let me see where you got it! :detective:

Edited by stuckinamo

IcePrincessKRS

Thats an awesome ring Hughey (and awesome stories everyone else!). I can definately understand the attachment--I wear 3 rings, my wedding band, engagement ring, and a birthstone ring that has some family history to it. I would be loathe to part with any of them, mainly because of deep sentimental attachment, but also because of what my wedding bands are a symbol of. :) I imagine you must feel similarly about your ring. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1117619' date='Nov 11 2006, 02:17 PM']
oh man, definitely have it blessed by one of the Franciscans!!!!!

see if you can get Fr. Terry to do it if you see him! he's wonderful. he's from maine. he's a saint. :blush:

he gave me a new one-liner last weekend while we were talking. it's really quite wonderful, especially for when you're feeling down or discouraged: "I am pure, I am holy, and I am loved by God."

*edit: the white on the gray let me see where you got it! :detective:
[/quote]
Oh shucks. :pinch: You can't see it on my screen. :ninja:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1117773' date='Nov 11 2006, 06:10 PM']
Thats an awesome ring Hughey (and awesome stories everyone else!). I can definately understand the attachment--I wear 3 rings, my wedding band, engagement ring, and a birthstone ring that has some family history to it. I would be loathe to part with any of them, mainly because of deep sentimental attachment, but also because of what my wedding bands are a symbol of. :) I imagine you must feel similarly about your ring. :)
[/quote]
Yes. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
franciscanheart

I got close-ups! :D:

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/imagodei/DSCF1135.jpg[/img] [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/imagodei/DSCF1138.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/imagodei/DSCF1136.jpg[/img] [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/imagodei/DSCF1137.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/imagodei/DSCF1139.jpg[/img]