An Old School Catholic Message Board

Referred Law 6 Fails

catholicinsd

OK, so with the tragic failure of the Referred Law 6, I a Catholic, pro-lifer South Dakotan am understanbly quite upset. I can of a merriad of things that should have been different, such as:

More outside involvement. (Erik and Phil are in the State, but they are the only ones.) No Father Pavone, no Ms. McCorvy, nothing really; even the Eastern half of the State was without a Bishop til 2 weeks ago.

Better/More inside involvmet. The people they put in charge of the Vote Yes for Life Campaign didn't know what the heck they were doing.

Understanding the importance of it all. This bill could have more life than the mind can comprehend.

That's all. Thanks for letting me rant.

I'm already sad over other pro-life losses. Santorum lost. Allen lost. Embryonic death and cloning bill in Missouri current winning. Talent lost. Now South Dakota's pro-life initiative fails. :sadder:

We'll have to wait to try again when the momentum swings the other way.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1114900' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:07 AM']
What happens next? The defeat of this Bill pushes the pro-life effort back at least ten years.
[/quote]
I think that you are being overly dramatic there fellow :blink:

We don't have a liberal (like clinton) as a prez, and we have control of the senate and are 1 justice away from controlling the scotus. Today was bad, but its not the end of the world

Edited by notardillacid

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1114906' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:15 AM']
Today was bad, but its not the end of the world
[/quote]

For the SD pro-life it was; for a while at least.

No its not. They are no worse of than they were before the election. at least you live in a state where something like this actually could get voted on. Most states it would be shot down in a flash. Even if you had passed the referendum it would have been challeged within sixty seconds, and then it would have been suspended until it got to the SCOTUS and most likely ruled unconstitutional. You win some, you lose some. not the end of the world

Seriously. Virtually nothing was done. I know many "pro-life" people, even in South Dakota, did absolutly nothing.

I also blame myself, I did something but not enough. I worked at my job a lot throughout the last couple of months so I couldn't do to much. But I know I many who had lots of free time, and did nothing. And those who did do things, screwed it all up.

I'm disappointed in the vote, but there are a couple things to keep in mind.

1. The measure lost 56 to 44. Even though you can't really compare the state of SD to the whole country, this is pretty impressive considering 8 out of 10 Americans believe abortion should be legal in cases of rape/incest or if the the health of the mother is at stake.

This page gives more statistics.
[url="http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/abortion_poll030122.html"]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNew...poll030122.html[/url]

2. Even if the ban had passed and was challenged and defeated in the lower courts it might not have gone to the Supreme Court. This would have a terrible, horrible blow to the pro-life movement nation wide. If anything, that's what would have sent the movement back ten years.

You know what I really don't understand? How the majority of America is pro-life, but we still continue to lose legislative battles. How can the government not represent what the people really want and believe? It must be because people who are pro-life don't vote pro-life because they don't really care. I have one friend who says that all the other social injustices caused by Republicans justifies voting pro-choice.He doesn't care about the non-negotiable issues, basically writes his own. For him war is non-negotiable. He calls himself a devout Catholic, even attends a Tridentine Mass, but then claims that it is ok not to work against the biggest murderer in America? I think he is pretty representative of a lot of people, it just doesn't make sense to me.

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1115765' date='Nov 8 2006, 11:43 PM']
I have one friend who says that all the other social injustices caused by Republicans justifies voting pro-choice.He doesn't care about the non-negotiable issues, basically writes his own. For him war is non-negotiable. He calls himself a devout Catholic, even attends a Tridentine Mass, but then claims that it is ok not to work against the biggest murderer in America? I think he is pretty representative of a lot of people, it just doesn't make sense to me.
[/quote]
I think some conservative Catholics harbor anti ethnic English or anti-Evangelicalism bigotry in their hearts and that
is why they can't bring themselves to vote for Republicans... Clearly the life issues should trump almost any other concern, in the interest of justice. But, I think many people are still living in the 1800's.... All true Christians need to work together in an increasingly pagan world.