An Old School Catholic Message Board

Plan B For Rape Victims?

thessalonian

O'k, I heard a priest on Relevant Radio this morning say that if it could be shown that a conception had not occured, so that the abortifacient effects of plan B could be ruled out, that it could be morally acceptable to use the Plan B pill to prevent conception for a rape victim. The basis for this is the following article:

[url="http://www.linacre.org/MornAftPillMcC.htm"]http://www.linacre.org/MornAftPillMcC.htm[/url]

This is rather surprizing to me of course though I can see where it is coming from. But it does raise the question, is this also okay for a non-married woman who got drunk and had sex outside of marriage or a woman who cheated on her husband and wants to prevent the damaging effects of a child. If it is okay in the rape case why would it be wrong in these cases. I am not convinced that it should be used in the rape case and would like to see more discussion on that matter. So have at it folks.

Thanks

Edited by thessalonian

cathoholic_anonymous
:idontknow:

[quote]This is rather surprizing to me of course though I can see where it is coming from. But it does raise the question, is this also okay for a non-married woman who got drunk and had sex outside of marriage or a woman who cheated on her husband and wants to prevent the damaging effects of a child. [/quote]

Perhaps it is because there is no choice involved in rape, whereas there is a choice involved in cheating on your husband or getting drunk and having premarital sex. This is a weak reason, I know, but I can't think of a better one.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1114252' date='Nov 7 2006, 05:54 PM']
m[/url]

This is rather surprizing to me of course though I can see where it is coming from. But it does raise the question, is this also okay for a non-married woman who got drunk and had sex outside of marriage or a woman who cheated on her husband and wants to prevent the damaging effects of a child. If it is okay in the rape case why would it be wrong in these cases. I am not convinced that it should be used in the rape case and would like to see more discussion on that matter. So have at it folks.

Thanks
[/quote]

The moral tradition would say that it was ok for a rape victim and not ok in the other cases because consent was given in the latter and not in the former.

My opinion is that contraception with fornication is no additional sin and expresses prudence... not that there's a "prudent" way to commit sin. The goods assaulted by contraception are, in fornication, already annihilated. But it's simply an academic question...sort of like is one method of murdering more evil than another. We shouldn't ever be in a situation where the question matters!

The trouble is proving that no conception has occured... e.g., is a 5-minute old conception detectable?

[quote name='beatty07' post='1114345' date='Nov 7 2006, 07:50 PM']
My opinion is that contraception with fornication is no additional sin and expresses prudence... not that there's a "prudent" way to commit sin. The goods assaulted by contraception are, in fornication, already annihilated. But it's simply an academic question...sort of like is one method of murdering more evil than another. We shouldn't ever be in a situation where the question matters!

The trouble is proving that no conception has occured... e.g., is a 5-minute old conception detectable?
[/quote]

Contraception is a mortal sin in and of itself. Fornification is a mortal sin in and of itself. Contraception with fornification is two seperate sins commited at the same time.

Birgitta Noel

Just a quick note to clarify that in the case of rape the use of a "contraceptive" is not contraceptive in nature. The Church views the use in this case as self defense against the unjust aggressor of which the sperm are a part. Of course the Church does not condone the use of emergency contraception which is acting as an abortifacient in a particular instance.

There's an extensive thread on this side issue of rape and emergency contraception. You'll have to search for it if you want more on that issue.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1114379' date='Nov 7 2006, 08:17 PM']
Just a quick note to clarify that in the case of rape the use of a "contraceptive" is not contraceptive in nature. The Church views the use in this case as self defense against the unjust aggressor of which the sperm are a part. Of course the Church does not condone the use of emergency contraception which is acting as an abortifacient in a particular instance.

There's an extensive thread on this side issue of rape and emergency contraception. You'll have to search for it if you want more on that issue.
[/quote]
Good to have a member with a PhD in Catholic medical ethics. :) Thanks, B.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Raphael' post='1114411' date='Nov 7 2006, 07:42 PM']
Good to have a member with a PhD in Catholic medical ethics. :) Thanks, B.
[/quote]

Thanks you :cool:

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1114379' date='Nov 7 2006, 08:17 PM']

[/quote]

Now the original statement makes more sense as well. ty.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1114379' date='Nov 7 2006, 10:17 PM']

[/quote]
seems like practical applications for this are...practically...nil, as most doctors will not be interested in a theology lesson and won't bother to make sure there is no abortifacient effect. practically.

[quote name='RC_' post='1114355' date='Nov 7 2006, 06:56 PM']
Contraception is a mortal sin in and of itself. Fornification is a mortal sin in and of itself. Contraception with fornification is two seperate sins commited at the same time.
[/quote]

When the Church has spoken about contraception, she has always assumed the context of marriage, as far as I know. Do you know of an exception to this? I'd be surprised to find one, since the question is usually moot outside marriage.

However, it does have real-world significance from time to time. For example, a woman who is going into a mission field with a high risk of rape may take non-abortifacient contraceptive measures. The above statement, unless nuanced, would convict her of mortal sin. The same applies to the situation that started this thread.

Sorry if this is rehash of another thread...I couldn't find it discussed this way elsewhere.

Edited by beatty07

goldenchild17

[quote name='RC_' post='1114342' date='Nov 7 2006, 07:49 PM']
People are grasping at straws here. Contraception is a mortal sin.
[/quote]
Wholeheartedly seconded.

[quote name='RC_' post='1114342' date='Nov 7 2006, 06:49 PM']
People are grasping at straws here. Contraception is a mortal sin.
[/quote]

fides quaerit intellectum.
"faith seeks understanding."

If the straw in question helps us understand the law of God, it's well worth grasping. I think we can give everyone the benefit of the doubt; we're trying to explore and apply the Church's teaching in a spirit of obedience.

Edited by beatty07