An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nuns Voting

onlygrace08

With election day being tomorrow, I was wondering if anybody knows whether or not the cloistered nuns and/or monks vote.

God Bless

Anna

HeavenlyCalling

I believe one of the reasons nuns may leave the enclosure is to fufill their civic duties (i.e. voting) but I do know that some vote by absentee ballot. Hope this helps, get out and VOTE people :P: :D: !

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We're able to vote by absentee ballot. The local office decided we were permanently "disabled"! :D: They will even call up to make sure that everyone who wanted a ballot got one!
Our community takes this seriously. We are not in the world but of the world and we also have a civic duty.

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1113254' date='Nov 6 2006, 10:47 PM']
With election day being tomorrow, I was wondering if anybody knows whether or not the cloistered nuns and/or monks vote.

God Bless

Anna
[/quote]

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1113566' date='Nov 7 2006, 02:40 PM']
We're able to vote by absentee ballot. The local office decided we were permanently "disabled"! :D: They will even call up to make sure that everyone who wanted a ballot got one!
Our community takes this seriously. We are not in the world but of the world and we also have a civic duty.
[/quote]
What Cheek !! How can the Authority class such an active community disabled .!! I wouldn't put up with it Sisters !!. :idontknow: :idontknow:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Jennirom' post='1113666' date='Nov 7 2006, 12:22 PM']
What Cheek !! How can the Authority class such an active community disabled .!! I wouldn't put up with it Sisters !!. :idontknow: :idontknow:
[/quote]

There is no other category for requesting permanent absentee ballots unless one is disabled. So, they made us "disabled" so that we wouldn't have to worry about applying for every election.

These people are really good to us and will go the extra mile to make sure we can vote. They totally respect our life and even call us for prayers, etc.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1113932' date='Nov 7 2006, 01:37 PM']
There is no other category for requesting permanent absentee ballots unless one is disabled. So, they made us "disabled" so that we wouldn't have to worry about applying for every election.

These people are really good to us and will go the extra mile to make sure we can vote. They totally respect our life and even call us for prayers, etc.
[/quote]

+

That's awesome!!!

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1113932' date='Nov 7 2006, 01:37 PM']

[/quote]

So are you informed voters?

my guess is that they are. really, you need to know where candidates stand on the 5 non-negotiables:

ranked in order of importance:
1. Abortion
2. Euthanasia
3. Fetal Stem Cell Research
4. Human Cloning
5. Homosexual "Marriage"

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1116211' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:36 PM']
my guess is that they are. really, you need to know where candidates stand on the 5 non-negotiables:

ranked in order of importance:
1. Abortion
2. Euthanasia
3. Fetal Stem Cell Research
4. Human Cloning
5. Homosexual "Marriage"
[/quote]
I would sum that up with: "dignity of the human person"--which would also include views on poverty and social justice. But that's just me. I'll step down from my soapbox now.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='shortnun' post='1116347' date='Nov 10 2006, 02:10 AM']
I would sum that up with: "dignity of the human person"--which would also include views on poverty and social justice. But that's just me. I'll step down from my soapbox now.
[/quote]

That's why I love that one of the two Christian parties here (too bad they're both protestant) has a VERY good social justice program.

Voting's easy! :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1116107' date='Nov 9 2006, 03:48 PM']
So are you informed voters?
[/quote]

Some more than others but we try to be on the important issues. Local Candidates like to call and ask for an appt to meet us in the parlor. What they don't know but they soon find out is that we ask point blank questions on the important issues and there is one sister who usually checks out their voting record if they are running for reelection.

We had one guy who was running for Councilman and 2 sisters were assigned to go down to the parlor. Sr asked, "There is a homeless problem in this city and no one wants to address it and instead ignores it. So, what are you going to do about it!"

Well, he didn't know this and asked what she meant and so she told him that regularly homeless people come to us for food and help, etc. He was so taken by Sister's concern that he did his homework and regular ly"checks in" with the prioress to ask her opinion and ideas for how Summit can help the homeless.

Again, we try not to be of the world but do live in the world and have a responsibility to help others in a way proper to our vocation.

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1116715' date='Nov 10 2006, 09:37 AM']
Some more than others but we try to be on the important issues. Local Candidates like to call and ask for an appt to meet us in the parlor. What they don't know but they soon find out is that we ask point blank questions on the important issues and there is one sister who usually checks out their voting record if they are running for reelection.

We had one guy who was running for Councilman and 2 sisters were assigned to go down to the parlor. Sr asked, "There is a homeless problem in this city and no one wants to address it and instead ignores it. So, what are you going to do about it!"

Well, he didn't know this and asked what she meant and so she told him that regularly homeless people come to us for food and help, etc. He was so taken by Sister's concern that he did his homework and regular ly"checks in" with the prioress to ask her opinion and ideas for how Summit can help the homeless.

Again, we try not to be of the world but do live in the world and have a responsibility to help others in a way proper to our vocation.
[/quote]
That is so cool sister, you have quit the political influence it seems. Why do you think so many politicians want to talk to you about those things? It's really cool that they do, but I have never really heard of anyone doing that.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1116850' date='Nov 10 2006, 02:03 PM']
That is so cool sister, you have quit the political influence it seems. Why do you think so many politicians want to talk to you about those things? It's really cool that they do, but I have never really heard of anyone doing that.
[/quote]

Summit has a really small town atmosphere and I maybe they think that we are kind of stupid and easily influenced? I think they stop at the monastery the same way they stop at nursing homes, etc. any place they can get a bunch of people at once!