An Old School Catholic Message Board

Executing Sadam

dairygirl4u2c

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1113290' date='Nov 6 2006, 10:17 PM']
[size=1]I have never heard that the church supported the death penalty.
Show me and Ill believe it.

I still do not think we should choose when a person should die or not.
And I think that putting him in a dark room with padded walls and no widnows or human contact for the rest of his life would be worse.
[/size]
[/quote]
The Church has always allowed the death penalty.
St. Thomas Aquinas, the "Angelic Doctor" of the Church, answered objections to the death penalty in [url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/306402.htm"][i]The Summa Theologica[/i] in "Whether it is Lawful to Kill Sinners"[/url]:

[quote]As stated above (1), it is lawful to kill dumb animals, in so far as they are naturally directed to man's use, as the imperfect is directed to the perfect. Now every part is directed to the whole, as imperfect to perfect, wherefore every part is naturally for the sake of the whole. For this reason we observe that if the health of the whole body demands the excision of a member, through its being decayed or infectious to the other members, it will be both praiseworthy and advantageous to have it cut away. Now every individual person is compared to the whole community, as part to whole. [b]Therefore if a man be dangerous and infectious to the community, on account of some sin, it is praiseworthy and advantageous that he be killed in order to safeguard the common good, since "a little leaven corrupteth the whole lump" (1 Corinthians 5:6).[/b][/quote]

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='God the Father' post='1113164' date='Nov 6 2006, 06:49 PM']
Of course not. He could reform in jail (depending on what we put in his Doritos), and then preach peace and love. Imagine what would've happened if someone [i]justified[/i] killing Tookie.

O WAIT
[/quote]

Tookie killed an infant.

Sayonara, don't let the door hit you in your rear on the way out.

[quote]Well they dont say that I have to agree with it.[/quote]

That was a very arrogant thing to say, but let me quote another source that you should find a bit more authoritative:

[quote name='The Catechism of the Catholic Church']2267 Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people's safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and are more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically non-existent."[/quote]

So, I don't think you could say the death penalty is immoral, sinful or evil, but you could say that you don't like it or it's peronally unappealing to you.

HeavenlyCalling

I posted above that I voted 'yes'. However, I have since read the Vaticans view on this. Since I have a firm [i]Roma locata, cause finita est[/i] policy, I will stand behind the Church's decision, in this case to denounce Saddam's exicution, then I am with them. Rome has spoken, and for me the matter is finished.

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

[size=1]Yea well even if it is Sadam, it is still killing a person.
I am against the death penalty even if the church is not.
Im not going to hell for it.
[/size]

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Era Might' post='1113269' date='Nov 6 2006, 08:55 PM']
.. the question of Saddam remaining a threat is a legitimate one to consider, although I don't think that is why he is being executed.
[/quote]

That's what I think. So, I'm Catholic. Probably no.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1113487' date='Nov 7 2006, 01:43 AM']
For this case I say there are so many things worse than death.
[/quote]
[size=1]Yes
[/size]

littlebreakdowns

However, with that said, the question of Saddam remaining a threat is a legitimate one to consider, although I don't think that is why he is being executed.
[/quote]

Exactly. They're not killing him to protect people - they're killing him for doing bad things. I'm not cool with that.

[quote name='littlebreakdowns' post='1113613' date='Nov 7 2006, 10:44 AM']
Exactly. They're not killing him to protect people - they're killing him for doing bad things. I'm not cool with that.
[/quote]
Did that idea just 'come to you in a flash of brilliant light'?
Have you thought about the 'local insurgents' who are fighting the new Iraqi Government just to bing Sadaam back to power? What organization or group would be targeting the judges, lawyers, and court clerks.

littlebreakdowns

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1113746' date='Nov 7 2006, 11:10 AM']
Did that idea just 'come to you in a flash of brilliant light'?
Have you thought about the 'local insurgents' who are fighting the new Iraqi Government just to bing Sadaam back to power? What organization or group would be targeting the judges, lawyers, and court clerks.
[/quote]

Do you honestly think that the insurgents are going to stop killing just because he's being killed? He'll be made a martyr. This isn't going to make the problems over there any better.

franciscanheart

I deserve to hang. I thank God every day for not giving me what I deserve. In fact, this sentiment is built right into the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer I):
However, with that said, the question of Saddam remaining a threat is a legitimate one to consider, although I don't think that is why he is being executed.
[/quote]
They're hanging him because he hanged other people. It's an eye for an eye ruling.
[size=1](Those are the facts. I have not stated my opinion one way or the other.)[/size]