An Old School Catholic Message Board

So... I Kind Of Told My Family

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1113606' date='Nov 7 2006, 04:37 PM']
Where do you hope to enter, and in which country?
[/quote]

Oh, I'm nothing near that far yet :)

Although sometimes it almost feels like I am. It feels so strange, it was only this Lent that I broke up with my boyfriend because Something Was Off (and it was clear it wasn't him) and now I'm almost planning who I'm going to ask to help me make my postulant outfit! :lol:

:idontknow: We'll see where I end up... but right now I really don't see myself married. I do plan on finishing up my degree first, and there's student loans, so we're not talking Fall 2007!

I feel really attracted to the Dominican spirituality... and especially the sisters of St. Cecilia (http://www.nashvilledominican.org) in Nashville. I just hope they'll finally mail me back :)

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1113929' date='Nov 7 2006, 02:34 PM']

Although sometimes it almost feels like I am. It feels so strange, it was only this Lent that I broke up with my boyfriend because Something Was Off (and it was clear it wasn't him) and now I'm almost planning who I'm going to ask to help me make my postulant outfit! :lol:

:idontknow: We'll see where I end up... but right now I really don't see myself married. I do plan on finishing up my degree first, and there's student loans, so we're not talking Fall 2007!

I feel really attracted to the Dominican spirituality... and especially the sisters of St. Cecilia (http://www.nashvilledominican.org) in Nashville. I just hope they'll finally mail me back :)
[/quote]

This will be nice if say you do enter the Nashville Dominicans. Then you can find some excuse to visit both me and Brandee at Buffalo. After all will be sisters of our Holy Father Dominic ;) and us Broke Daughters shouldn't be too far from each other!!

Edited by passionheart

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1113929' date='Nov 7 2006, 01:34 PM']

[/quote]
May I ask how much longer you have of your degree? I have 4 or 5 semesters left (depending on how many classes I take each semester), then (just graduate thankfully) loans to pay off.

Did you email or snail mail the sisters? I think there's another sister helping Sr. Mary Emily (their VD)... maybe Sr. Mary Laura? But Sr. ME may still be absorbing all the vocations-related email. :mail: Of course, you'll have to let us know when you hear! ;)

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1113929' date='Nov 7 2006, 01:34 PM']

[/quote]

Wow, it's been a VERY long time since I've posted! :saint:

The Nashville Dominicans are wonderful!! I live in Nashville and there's a group of discerners here, we go pray Compline with them once a week. We just had a weekend retreat last month there, and what a blessed community they are, flourishing with vocations! There are like thirteen postulants!!

If you end up coming for the spring Vocations retreat (5 days) or the Jesu Caritas retreat (3 days) let me know, I'll probably be on the Jesu Caritas.

I couldn't even begin to tell you how much I love these sisters!! :love: :love: :love:

VeniteAdoremus

Fhew... I feel very popular ^_^ Thank you all for your support!

[quote name='passionheart' post='1114574' date='Nov 8 2006, 04:41 AM']
This will be nice if say you do enter the Nashville Dominicans. Then you can find some excuse to visit both me and Brandee at Buffalo. After all will be sisters of our Holy Father Dominic ;) and us Broke Daughters shouldn't be too far from each other!!
[/quote]

Well, I'll have to go on retreat somewhere, won't I? :) That would be wonderful! We could do rosaries for the then-current Broke Daughters... very cheap rosaries ;) :lol:

[quote name='shortnun' post='1114695' date='Nov 8 2006, 06:04 AM']
May I ask how much longer you have of your degree? I have 4 or 5 semesters left (depending on how many classes I take each semester), then (just graduate thankfully) loans to pay off.

Did you email or snail mail the sisters? I think there's another sister helping Sr. Mary Emily (their VD)... maybe Sr. Mary Laura? But Sr. ME may still be absorbing all the vocations-related email. :mail: Of course, you'll have to let us know when you hear! ;)
[/quote]

I e-mailed them, on October 29th. I think I'll give it another week and then ask whether they even received it... Gmail can be very weird like that.

I have about two semesters to go for my BSc., and then another two to four for my Masters (which I do plan on taking in any case - you don't get very far in Holland with only a Bachelor's, and when I get to the "burning all ships behind me" point I know I will feel a lot better being sure that whatever happens I'll be able to support myself. After all, there's a very good reason why you don't make your final vows right away.

I don't think I'll have too many debts at the end - my degree is considered "needed" so if I finish it I'll probably qualify for debt reduction.

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' post='1114858' date='Nov 8 2006, 07:54 AM']
Wow, it's been a VERY long time since I've posted! :saint:
The Nashville Dominicans are wonderful!! I live in Nashville and there's a group of discerners here, we go pray Compline with them once a week. We just had a weekend retreat last month there, and what a blessed community they are, flourishing with vocations! There are like thirteen postulants!!

If you end up coming for the spring Vocations retreat (5 days) or the Jesu Caritas retreat (3 days) let me know, I'll probably be on the Jesu Caritas.

I couldn't even begin to tell you how much I love these sisters!! :love: :love: :love:
[/quote]

Oh, please do :) I don't mind hearing all about them! The great amount of postulants is one of the things that attracts me (I know some people that are put off by it and would prefer to join "on their own"). The idea of starting this journey with a dozen other girls makes everything a lot less scary, somehow. :idontknow: I don't know. That's just how it feels to me. :)

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1115035' date='Nov 8 2006, 05:07 PM']
Whoa! Nashville is a long way to go. God has clearly blessed you with much courage.
[/quote]

:blush: Thank you... it doesn't feel like that to me, really. I'll have to go away from my country anyway... which makes me kind of sad, because religious are so needed here. But, you know, St. Cecilia's has started missions before... who knows whether they'll go crazy and send a couple of sisters over the pond? :) I have the idea that if I go where God wants me, I'll be home. No matter where it is. Even if it's big scary America.

Yes, that IS scary, and I'm not looking forward to not being able to speak my native tongue with anyone... but no need worrying about that before I've even visited!

Congratulations! A religious calling is very beautiful, and I will definitly be praying for you.

If it helps at all, I just entered this past year into seminary and I have found a lot of strength in reading Mark 10

"26 Who wondered the more, saying among themselves: Who then can be saved? 27 And Jesus looking on them, saith: With men it is impossible; but not with God: for all things are possible with God. 28 And Peter began to say unto him: Behold, we have left all things, and have followed thee. 29 Jesus answering, said: Amen I say to you, there is no man who hath left house or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or children, or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, 30 Who shall not receive an hundred times as much, now in this time; houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions: and in the world to come life everlasting. "

God Bless you!