An Old School Catholic Message Board

So... I Kind Of Told My Family

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

The problem with my native language is that we don't have different words for "nun" and "religious sister". So my mum's first reaction was "Locked up? YOU?"

Yes, I'm going to explain to her that contemplative life has little to do with being "locked up", but that's for later :)

My mum and brother are laughing it off a bit (like my non-Catholic friends). My dad is moderately exstatic (he once told me that the most beautiful sacrifice a parent can make is giving their child to the Lord, which sounded a bit creepy to me, but I'm sure he meant it in the most positive way).

But, now I told them, and no matter what happens they can't say they weren't prepared! :)

Oh this is so exciting (in the joyful and utterly terrifying senses of the word)! I pray that your continued converstations with them continue to be fruitful!

CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='shortnun' post='1111955' date='Nov 5 2006, 09:53 PM']
Oh this is so exciting (in the joyful and utterly terrifying senses of the word)! I pray that your continued converstations with them continue to be fruitful!

CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:
[/quote]

Thank you :)

"Joyful and utterly terrifying" - this is why I love Vocation Station. You -get- it. :)

[quote]Congrats! It's nice to have your dad understand you, that way he can really be there for you, that's wonderful![/quote]

Thanks! Yes, he has discerned a vocation to the priesthood himself when he was younger, and he actually came back to the church when I was a child and started going myself!

puellapaschalis

You should also note somewhere that your sister is very, very supportive, from what I hear.

Love and prayers,

PP

franciscanheart

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1111943' date='Nov 5 2006, 02:37 PM']
he once told me that the most beautiful sacrifice a parent can make is giving their child to the Lord, which sounded a bit creepy to me, but I'm sure he meant it in the most positive way[/quote] That is actually such a beautiful thing for him to say! I can't imagine that being construed as a negative remark. How amazingly faithful is your father to understand that! How wise he is, and correct in his beliefs! For us all to have a father like yours, well, we would all be truly blessed.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote] You should also note somewhere that your sister is very, very supportive, from what I hear.

Love and prayers,

PP[/quote]

Oh, yes, then there's my big sister, who indeed is VERY supportive, which I repay by whining to her about her own vocation.

I went to confession ten hours ago and now I have to go again because I didn't mention "utterly ungrateful"! :(

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1112110' date='Nov 6 2006, 12:52 AM']
That is actually such a beautiful thing for him to say! I can't imagine that being construed as a negative remark. How amazingly faithful is your father to understand that! How wise he is, and correct in his beliefs! For us all to have a father like yours, well, we would all be truly blessed.
[/quote]

I -am- blessed. And thankful. It's just... we do talk about religion (a lot), but not so much about very personal feelings, and that's probably why that statement felt a bit weird to me. And then there's all the stuff between him and my mum (they like to dislike what the other likes...) which is really far beyond the scope of a post here, but all together it gave me a weird feeling when he first said it. Now that I read it back, though, I appreciate it a whole lot more. But I'm not telling him now - it's midnight!

franciscanheart

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1112118' date='Nov 5 2006, 06:02 PM']
I -am- blessed. And thankful. It's just... we do talk about religion (a lot), but not so much about very personal feelings, and that's probably why that statement felt a bit weird to me. And then there's all the stuff between him and my mum (they like to dislike what the other likes...) which is really far beyond the scope of a post here, but all together it gave me a weird feeling when he first said it. Now that I read it back, though, I appreciate it a whole lot more. But I'm not telling him now - it's midnight!
[/quote]
I understand more than you know. :rolleyes:

Wonderful news!! Congratulations.... it is lovely that your father and sister are supporting you and as you appear to be a really happy family, I am sure that your mother will also help you as you discern. God Bless !! :lol: :lol:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Jennirom' post='1112529' date='Nov 6 2006, 12:07 PM']
Wonderful news!! Congratulations.... it is lovely that your father and sister are supporting you and as you appear to be a really happy family, I am sure that your mother will also help you as you discern. God Bless !! :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Thank you! Yes, we are a happy family - just slightly, er, special? :)

One of us doesn't live in this country, and none live in the same province! I'd infinitely prefer being all together more often, but the good thing is that now we've been forced to make the conscious choice that we want to be part of each other's lives, and we really realise how important we all are to each other.

*sniff* I love my family :)
I'm glad almost every order allows writing every month.