An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hi There, I'm Back!

Joolye

Hi, I know maybe I shouldn't be posting in this forum as I am not starting a debate by this post, but this is the only forum that I really spent much time in, so I am re-introducing myself.

I was on here debating with you guys a couple of years ago. Thought I'd poke my head in again.

I have finished my studies at Bible College, so I know a little bit more about things now. I have also been accepted by Wycliffe Bible Translators and I will be doing training next year to get involved in Bible Translation work.

Well, I might have a bit of a look around and see if I can stir up any trouble, no not really.

I think that the Catholic and Protestant academics have studied and discussed their differences plenty, and they end up going round in circles. I don't really have the skills to do justice to a debate without having done specific research on the topic.

Oh and can anyone tell my why my avatar picture appears as my signature and my signature picture does not appear at all? I have double checked 'my controls' and I have them in the correct places.

Edited by Joolye

[quote name='Joolye' post='1110688' date='Nov 4 2006, 08:39 AM']

I have finished my studies at Bible College, so I know a little bit more about things now. I have also been accepted by Wycliffe Bible Translators and I will be doing training next year to get involved in Bible Translation work.
[/quote]You finished your masters and are going for your Ph.D.? Or, how does that work in Australia? Wow. To do translation requires in-depth knowledge not only of the ancient, classical biblical languages but also the idioms used and the history, culture, and geography of the areas in which the various 'books' were written and of the audiences to whom the various writings were directed. Have you finished these studies, or is that in the future?

Now that you've graduated from Bible College, please tell us where, when, and how we got the Bible, what it is, why it was written, and how you know it is the only source for Christian faith, practice, and morals. How do we know it's the Word of God? Which Bible is the "real" Word of God?

Id say welcome back, but I just got back to phatmass myself after a long absence. Greetings and congrats on your graduation.

===========================
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

IcePrincessKRS

Welcome back Joolye. :)

As HSMom said, thats the way dUSt likes it. We can have larger images (400x75 pixles) in our signatures (you still edit that in through avatar settings), but no text (unless its part of the image).

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1110745' date='Nov 5 2006, 03:34 AM']
You finished your masters and are going for your Ph.D.? Or, how does that work in Australia? [/quote]

I actually did a Diploma. I also have a bachelor degree in another field. Next year I am doing a Graduate Diploma in Linguistics, etc. You can do your masters and then PhD, but that is not what I am doing.

[quote]Wow. To do translation requires in-depth knowledge not only of the ancient, classical biblical languages but also the idioms used and the history, culture, and geography of the areas in which the various 'books' were written and of the audiences to whom the various writings were directed. Have you finished these studies, or is that in the future? [/quote]

I have studied New Testament Greek and we mainly aim at the NT first. There are a lot of resources that a translator can refer to while translating, so some of the cultural and historal knowledge comes from them while in the process of translating. I have also studied two units on Exegesis, which has equipped me to learn about these things. Proper exegesis is necessary for translation.

[quote]Now that you've graduated from Bible College, please tell us where, when, and how we got the Bible, what it is, why it was written, and how you know it is the only source for Christian faith, practice, and morals. How do we know it's the Word of God? Which Bible is the "real" Word of God?
[/quote]

Well, I didn't actually major in theology. I won't answer those questions off the top of my head just now and I would like to look up references.