An Old School Catholic Message Board

All Priests Must Play Recorded Homily On Life And Family Or Suffer

cmotherofpirl

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129462' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:47 PM']
If Archbishop Weakland sent a CD with a homily extoling the virtues of the current Ordo Missae, would you think that was a good idea?
[/quote]
If it was particularly relevant to a grave matter or concern among the faithful of his diocese which, left unchecked, could result in serious sin, yes.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129472' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:55 PM']
The election did not lead anyone to a state fo serious sin. Don't worry.
[/quote]
how would you know??

Becuase both candidates promote policy that violoates human dignity. The Church tells us it is our duy to vote. Therefore, we are trying to promote the least evil. Would Holy Mother Church tell us to do something that would lead us to serious sin?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129472' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:55 PM']
The election did not lead anyone to a state fo serious sin. Don't worry.
[/quote]
That's quite the judgment. With so many Catholics knowingly and willingly violating the Church to vote for pro-abortion, pro-cloning, pro-homosexual, etc. politicians, you'd think that would be a harder thing to judge.

So many vote for candidates that are against abortion, but are pro-death penalty, pro-big business, and don't seek to provide adequate health care or education for the poor, who we are charged with taking special care of. Are these less important?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129503' date='Nov 28 2006, 12:15 AM']
So many vote for candidates that are against abortion, but are pro-death penalty, pro-big business, and don't seek to provide adequate health care or education for the poor, who we are charged with taking special care of. Are these less important?
[/quote]
According to the voter's guides released by the Church, yes.

The death penalty is allowed by the Church in certain circumstances (CCC 2267). The Church doesn't take an official stance on big-business, and considers health care and education, while important, nowhere near the importance of abortion, cloning, embryonic stem cell research, gay marriage, and euthanasia, which are all direct attacks on life and marriage. Furthermore, the Church does not say that there is a "right" way to approach health care (whether privatized or supported by medicare) or education (whether paid for by public funds, granted vouchers, or anything else).

So abortion and keeping gays from marrying are our top priorties as a Church? That's it? Not feeding and taking care of the poor and teaching our young ones? We can't be so miopic. Christ healed the sick and taught those thirsting for knwledge. Should we not make those priorities too? He didn't say too much at all about homosexuality, abortion, female ordination, ecclesiology....

I know the Church allows the death penalty, but it has also said that in today's society, where death is not needed to protect society, it is needless. George Bush didn't need to kill so many in Texas. There was no societal protection at stake.

Gospel of Love, not Gospel of Laws

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129565' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:02 AM']
So abortion and keeping gays from marrying are our top priorties as a Church? That's it?
[/quote]

Of course not. However, they are the things the Church has definitive teaching about, and as such, those teachings are binding on the consciences of the faithful. Therefore, the Church has to teach about these things most firmly.

[quote]Not feeding and taking care of the poor and teaching our young ones?[/quote]

Of course the Church is concerned about these things, but, for the most part, it is not the Church's competency or mission to tell politicians or governments how to go about taking care of the poor or teaching children. The Church sets certain moral standards...as long as your political plan meets those standards, the Church isn't going to oppose you. Most healthcare and education plans either are in line with the Church's teaching (even if the plans oppose each other) or are too insignificant for the Church to notice.

[quote] We can't be so miopic. Christ healed the sick and taught those thirsting for knwledge. Should we not make those priorities too?[/quote]

Of course, but all this reminds me of a conversation I had with my aunt. "Why doesn't the Republican Party care for the poor?" she asked. "Well, Aunt Patty, it does. It just does agree with the Democratic Party on how to go about helping them." Everyone wants care for the sick and aid for the poor and education for the young, and that's what the Church demands, but not everyone is agreed on how to do it...and that's where, most of the time, the Church is silent.

[quote]He didn't say too much at all about homosexuality, abortion, female ordination, ecclesiology....[/quote]

1. Wasn't a major concern of His...I don't think He encountered it much around the Jews...that's why St. Paul really brought it up in dealings with the Gentiles.

2. Also wasn't a major concern...while abortions did happen back then, they were much more rare and usually caused by herbs, not by organizations set up for the sole purpose of providing abortions.

3. He didn't say much about it because it wasn't an issue. People back then understood that women couldn't be priests.

4. He said a ton about ecclesiology...just didn't do it the way we do it...it's all in seminal form in His words.

[quote]I know the Church allows the death penalty, but it has also said that in today's society, where death is not needed to protect society, it is needless. George Bush didn't need to kill so many in Texas. There was no societal protection at stake. [/quote]

I agree, but since the Church doesn't teach that it is objectively wrong in every case, the Church can't condemn politicians for supporting it as easily as she can condemn politicians who support other things.

[quote]Gospel of Love, not Gospel of Laws[/quote]

Amen...but not quite. Jesus didn't abolish the law, He fulfilled it with love. Laws still exist, love is just how to fulfill them.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129565' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:02 AM']So abortion and keeping gays from marrying are our top priorties as a Church? That's it? Not feeding and taking care of the poor and teaching our young ones? We can't be so miopic. [/quote]Here's a more apples-to-apples comparison: when someone proposes legislation banning acts of charity toward the poor, I suppose the bishops would see that as an important thing to oppose. Since no political movement seems to have such an agenda, I can see why citizens aren't making a big issue out of it when they vote.
[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129565' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:02 AM']Gospel of Love, not Gospel of Laws[/quote]A common either-or mistake. Better to say: a Gospel of Love [u]and[/u] a Gospel of Laws (cf. [url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/john/john14.htm#v21"]John 14:21[/url]) God's Law exists [u]because[/u] of His Love, not in spite of it.

Thanks for clarifying. I'll go vote for the anti-abortionists and let the poor starve and the child grow up ignorant, and the imprisoned sit alone and forgotten while they wait to be killed by the state, while sitting in the midst of my moral rightesness knowing that I helped elect a politician who has no hope of overturning Roe v. Wade because of a hostile political climate towards human dignity.

Back to the original post topic, the gospel that Bishop Morlino prevented from being expounded on in a homily tells us to love God and neighbor is the greatest commandment. Liturgy is not a law given to us by Christ. It is an institution crafted by the faithful to be united with God. Don't clutter our time with God with reitereations of an already clearly articulated and publicized Magesterial position.

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129584' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:24 AM']Thanks for clarifying. I'll go vote for the anti-abortionists and let the poor starve and the child grow up ignorant, and the imprisoned sit alone and forgotten while they wait to be killed by the state.[/quote]Just how many elections have impacted your ability to feed the poor and visit those in prison? Are we living in a world in which we can't perform a corporal work of mercy without the government acting as our agent?

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1129589' date='Nov 28 2006, 12:32 AM']
Just how many elections have impacted your ability to feed the poor and visit those in prison? Are we living in a world in which we can't perform a corporal work of mercy without the government acting as our agent?
[/quote]

No, but shouldn't we shape the government to help us? And I certainly think GW being re-elected impacted our abilty to respond effectively to the genocide in Darfur, plight of AIDS in Africa, where our Church is flourishing, and getting effective health care to more Americans. I do what I can, but it wouldn't be nice if we as a people valued those things as well.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1129584' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:24 AM']
Thanks for clarifying. I'll go vote for the anti-abortionists and let the poor starve and the child grow up ignorant, and the imprisoned sit alone and forgotten while they wait to be killed by the state, while sitting in the midst of my moral rightesness knowing that I helped elect a politician who has no hope of overturning Roe v. Wade because of a hostile political climate towards human dignity.[/quote]

Please spare us the sarcasm. I've explained sufficiently and you've retorted with a straw man fallacy.

Well, actually, I haven't. You have to look at the lager picture. Falling in line behind the cassocks doesn't neccesarily promote the Gospel.

All great truths begin as heresy.