An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occasion To Sin A Sin?

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

Is it a sin to put yourself into an occasion to sin? Look at the extremes while answering. What if you have a strong tendency to sin, but know you can resist it while in that occasion. What if you don't have a strong tendency, but it's still an occasion to sin? Like someone who has a desire to drink, but does not have a strong tendency tl lapse, even in a bar.

Be sure to specify whether you are citing CC authority or yourself if there's room for interpretation within the CC.

Youre not here to fill up space again are you?

Trying to drop down the threads that have some substance? official space filler and diverter of Phatmass?

I notice youre called out to waste space everytime there are threads of interest.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Depends. Depends on how strong you are, why you are entering the situation, etc. A lot of things could be an occasion to sin, but I'm not going to stop going to the grocery store because there are people wearing types of clothing that may incite lust, etc.

I suppose it can be a sin to put oneself into a situation which is an occasion for the person to sin. It really gets into personal intent, the free will of the individual, etc.

Quoting from the Catholic Encyclopedia ([url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11196a.htm"]link[/url]):[quote]There can be no doubt that in general the same obligation which binds us to refrain from sin requires us to shun its occasion. Qui tenetur ad finem, tenetur ad media (he who is bound to reach a certain end is bound to employ the means to attain it).[/quote]
The article gets into some of the nuances, but I don't think that there is an absolute answer (e.g. all occasions of sin are themselves sinful).

For what it's worth: I do feel that an honest self examination of what situations led us to sin--and conversely, what leads us to virtue--is an important exercise in fostering spiritual growth.