An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Liturgy Of The Hours...

HeavenlyCalling

HeavenlyCalling

Ok, I really want to get into saying the [s]Litergy[/s] Liturgy of the Hours ( like a nun-prep thing, ish :huh:) is there a website or something that has a 'Litergy of the Hours for Dummies'? I have looked up a few but you need more then one person, is there a way to do it with only one?

mods: if this is in the wrong place, please move it, this isjust the board I go one most of the time :blush:

Thanks and God Bless!

Edited by hugheyforlife

Don't know of any website that has precisely what you're looking for, but if you're praying it alone, you just pray all the parts yourself instead of alternating between sides like you would in choir

I've been praying parts of the office for many months now. Its a great way to frame my day.

try this link to start with
[url="http://www.universalis.com/20031201/readings.htm"]http://www.universalis.com/20031201/readings.htm[/url]

blessings, linnie

Try the following just read the prayers yourself. The LOH is a community prayer but is often said by oneself :D:

[url="http://www.isi.edu/~chiang/personal/hours.html"]http://www.isi.edu/~chiang/personal/hours.html[/url]

HeavenlyCalling

I am still a bit confused at what time do you say each hour (these are the ones that are Martins, Lauds, Vespers, ect. right? or I am going crazy :crazy: ?)

Office of Readings - anytime
Morning Prayer - around dawn
Daytime Prayer - midmorning, midday, or midafternoon, it's up to you
Evening Prayer - around sunset
Night Prayer - before going to bed

franciscanheart

Heavenly Calling,

I would strongly suggest purchasing a copy for your use. The set can be a bit pricey but the one edition is fairly reasonable. (You can get one for less than $40, new.)

And MilesChristi, there are actually readings and such for midmorning, middday, and midafternoon.

I'll grab a retreat schedule to tell you how we did it then. It's probably not something you'll be able to do every day unless you're homeschooled or your classes work out really well to fit a similar schedule.

When I am very busy, morning prayer comes either when I first wake or shortly thereafter. I pray midday prayer while I eat lunch. Evening prayer comes after dinner and night prayer is said just before bed. That way I get it in four times a day! It sounds like a lot but really it's a breeze... and it helps so much with the formation of my days.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. I may not know the answers but I know a few others who would. ;)

HeavenlyCalling

hughey, could you pm me a place where I could get a book like that, if you know one off the top of your head? There weree some at a local Catholic bookstore but it was 5 books and about $150. Yipes! Too much ofr my budget! :D: :P:

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1107155' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:16 AM']
hughey, could you pm me a place where I could get a book like that, if you know one off the top of your head? There weree some at a local Catholic bookstore but it was 5 books and about $150. Yipes! Too much ofr my budget! :D: :P:
[/quote]

There's a version of the liturgy of the hours that doesn't contain office of readings (I think its called Christian Prayer, not to be confused with the "Shorter Christian Prayer").

Someone chime in please ... but from memory:

Shorter Christian Prayer -- has the 4 week cycle, morning and evening prayer, night prayer(I think); and major feasts; but most of the offices (such as office of virgins, etc) are not included. This may be a good simple way to start; and this book is about $10-$20. Its a bit easier to handle than the full 4 volume set or Christian Prayer.

Christian Prayer -- has morning,daytime,evening, night prayer; plus the offices ... much more complete but is missing the office of readings. It runs about $40-50 (my spanish one was $60 or $70, but that's because I brought it here)

The full set is a 4 volume set that does run about $130-150

-- Carmen

franciscanheart

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1107155' date='Oct 31 2006, 11:16 PM']
[/quote]
cmariadiaz explained the difference well. i'll pm you about the book.

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1107155' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:16 AM']
[/quote]

Yes, I was in the same boat so what I did was ask priests and religious I know if they know if any religious who can no longer pray the Divine Office due to different reasons. For example, some may no longer to use the Divine Office because of their eyesight.

Eventually, I did get some second copies of the 4 volume set from my spiritual director as a graduation/birthday gift.

So just put the word out and you never know :idontknow:

Edited by passionheart

You may have tried this already...
I found it helpful at first to hear the offices prayed. It gives an idea of the flow, and when to repeat antiphons, etc. Here are two sites with audio Offices:

1 ) [url="http://www.monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html"]Monks of Adoration[/url]

2 ) There's a link for Morning & Evening Prayer on the front page of [url="http://ewtn.com"]ewtn.com[/url]

[quote name='passionheart' post='1108295' date='Nov 1 2006, 08:55 PM']
Yes, I was in the same boat so what I did was ask priests and religious I know if they know if any religious who can no longer pray the Divine Office due to different reasons. For example, some may no longer to use the Divine Office because of their eyesight.

Eventually, I did get some second copies of the 4 volume set from my spiritual director as a graduation/birthday gift.

So just put the word out and you never know :idontknow:
[/quote]
I agree. I asked for it for Christmas one year and my poor mom had no idea what I wanted so she asked one of the priests at our parish who told her but she decided it was too expensive. So he gave me his old 4 vol version for Christmas! (plus his Shorter Christian Prayer book...I guess he had a premonition that I'd be studying a lot so I can keep the shorter one in my locker at school! :saint: )

HeavenlyCalling

Okay, after hearing all the stories here I MUST get myself those books! I wouldn't mind and might even prefer used, but I have no idea where to look as there are no convents or monestaries near me.