An Old School Catholic Message Board

Has Anyone Read This Book?

cathoholic_anonymous

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1107009' date='Oct 31 2006, 11:59 PM']
Remember when Mrs. Bro Adam's screen name was "forever Baptist"? :) And now the (almost) new Catholics have a little one named John-Paul. Sweet.

Ice Princess told me Bro Adam has a new website.

----------------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!
[/quote]

Actually, the whole name is Joseph (as in Ratzinger) John-Paul. :D: Even more Catholic!

The website is [url="http://www.catecheticsonline.com"]http://www.catecheticsonline.com[/url]

It rocks. Oh, and the baby is adorable...lots of soft fuzzy hair.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1107022' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:07 AM']
Our son was almost a John Paul... but we were still pretty Baptist back then.
[/quote]
That's weird...why would any non-Catholic choose two very Biblical names? :P:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Raphael' post='1107029' date='Oct 31 2006, 09:08 PM']
That's weird...why would any non-Catholic choose two very Biblical names? :P:
[/quote]
:annoyed: he still has two very biblical names...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1107041' date='Nov 1 2006, 12:15 AM']
:annoyed: he still has two very biblical names...
[/quote]
I was poking fun at the "Protestants know their Bibles and Catholics don't" stereotype... :mellow:

[quote name='mulls' post='1106469' date='Oct 31 2006, 06:34 PM']
i've also been away till just recently.
after i left the brethren church, i jumped around at a couple of non-denom's, but they were too "churchy," so i got involved in a local bible study which turned into our own house church, but i didn't like their views on facial hair, so i went southern baptist for awhile, but they tried to turn me into a republican war monger, so i went to a liberal congregational church, but their coffee was too dark, then i got invited to a greek orthodox church but they didn't even know english.....
just kidding. but knowing your views of denominations, is that what you were fishing for? i've been at the same little brethren church for over 3 years now. they're my family.
[/quote]
Did you try the Church of the Brunch?

I have read about Alex Jones, who converted. what is telling is he remarks himself I think it was in St. Anthony's Magazine, how the EARLY CHURCH FATHERS led him into the Catholic Church. It is interesting to note how conversion in the Catholic Church, seems centered on history rather then scripture. There were people who left his church as well.

homeschoolmom

No. What's interesting is how when you read the Scriptures as the early Christians did, you see they are Catholic.

Really how do you know?

the apostles warned of grievous wolves RIGHT in their time?

300 years more to go, is certainly enough time for error to abound.

This is why I hold trust in God's Word, if any teacher goes against it, I question that teacher.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Budge' post='1107335' date='Nov 1 2006, 08:44 AM']This is why I hold trust in God's Word, if any teacher goes against it, I question that teacher.
[/quote]

Me too. But if I have two interpretations of the same passage-- one from an ECF and one from someone far more removed, I'm going to go with the one that jives with the whole of scripture as it was handed down. I have found the ECFs to be the more credible.

[quote name='Budge' post='1107319' date='Nov 1 2006, 08:08 AM']
I have read about Alex Jones, who converted. what is telling is he remarks himself I think it was in St. Anthony's Magazine, how the EARLY CHURCH FATHERS led him into the Catholic Church. It is interesting to note how conversion in the Catholic Church, seems centered on history rather then scripture. There were people who left his church as well.
[/quote]

I thinks it's rather glorious that God is able to use all things to turn us toward Him.

[quote]BTW, I've been away from phatmass. Last I knew, you were AOG and then Brethren. What now?
[/quote]

[quote name='mulls' post='1106469' date='Oct 31 2006, 04:34 PM']
i've also been away till just recently.
after i left the brethren church, i jumped around at a couple of non-denom's, but they were too "churchy," so i got involved in a local bible study which turned into our own house church, but i didn't like their views on facial hair, so i went southern baptist for awhile, but they tried to turn me into a republican war monger, so i went to a liberal congregational church, but their coffee was too dark, then i got invited to a greek orthodox church but they didn't even know english.....
just kidding. but knowing your views of denominations, is that what you were fishing for? i've been at the same little brethren church for over 3 years now. they're my family.
[/quote]

bump for Katholikos. i want to know if he expected me to have started my own denomination by now.

Why do Catholics ignore when Jesus taught this?

All cults add or take away from Gods word but there are endless different types of churches that Do preach Gods Word.

Catholics dont understand that Christians can see other churches without their denomination brand as being Christian.

Ie the non-denom down the street teaches the Word of God.

Mar 9:38 ¶ And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
Mar 9:40 [b]For he that is not against us is on our part.[/b]

Justified Saint

[quote name='Budge' post='1107319' date='Nov 1 2006, 07:08 AM']
[/quote]

Notice the dichotomy: Scripture vs History. This is a typical fundamentalist dialectic.

Why do fundamentalists not understand that Christ is the "Lord of History"?