An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voter Id Act

kujo

Hey guys. I was reading an [url="http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200609/POL20060920e.html"]article[/url] about how the House of Representatives passed a bill that would require all voters to show identification in order to cast their vote. The [url="http://www.house.gov/reichert/press06/9.20.06.2.shtml"]Republicans[/url] are for this, and most Democrats are against it. The Dems are saying that it would disenfranchise minorities, but they don't explain how. They liken it to poll taxes, but they don't explain why.

Does anybody here have any issues with this? Am I missing something?

Edited by hugheyforlife

I too feel like I'm missing something...

Unless the only reason the Demo's don't want this is because a large chunk of thier votes in certain districts come from homeless people that are bussed around from one polling place to another.

cmotherofpirl

I think it depends on what ID would be required. Not everyone has a drivers license, and if you would have to travel to a distant location with a lot of papers it would be a pain. I can see it could be necessary for areas with a high % transients.

We really don't use them here even if required. What would be the point?
You walk across to the church you have been going to for 50 years, wave hi to your next door neighbor as she checks you off and ya vote.

It might decrease the population of large districts however, as they discover the actual address of many people is the local cemetery. Since we are going to computer screens I am sure the democrats will have a remedy to cure that problem.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1104802' date='Oct 30 2006, 05:54 AM']
I think it depends on what ID would be required. Not everyone has a drivers license, and if you would have to travel to a distant location with a lot of papers it would be a pain. I can see it could be necessary for areas with a high % transients.
[/quote]

Most states issue non-licence IDs for a small fee. Maybe instead of engaging in election fraud, the Democrats could spend the money on supplying the small ($20-30 for five or six years) fee to those who cannot afford this.

Any valid, photo ID would work. Government issued IDs are easy to come by. Maybe to appese the Democrats, the Republicans should insert an allowance that allows IDs issued by a local Methadone Clinc.

[quote]
We really don't use them here even if required. What would be the point?
You walk across to the church you have been going to for 50 years, wave hi to your next door neighbor as she checks you off and ya vote.
[/quote]

Before Oregon passed the Voter Mail Fraud Act, my district was as such. The "proctors" knew you. Small districts are the easiest way to prevent election fraud.

[quote]
It might decrease the population of large districts however, as they discover the actual address of many people is the local cemetery. Since we are going to computer screens I am sure the democrats will have a remedy to cure that problem.
[/quote]

The dead have risen, and they're voting Republican!!

--Bart Simpson

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1105047' date='Oct 30 2006, 01:12 PM']
Most states issue non-licence IDs for a small fee. Maybe instead of engaging in election fraud, the Democrats could spend the money on supplying the small ($20-30 for five or six years) fee to those who cannot afford this.

Any valid, photo ID would work. Government issued IDs are easy to come by. Maybe to appese the Democrats, the Republicans should insert an allowance that allows IDs issued by a local Methadone Clinc.
Before Oregon passed the Voter Mail Fraud Act, my district was as such. The "proctors" knew you. Small districts are the easiest way to prevent election fraud.
The dead have risen, and they're voting Republican!!

--Bart Simpson
[/quote]
I'd object to have to pay to vote.

I read the House Bill.

The acceptable ID is a government issued ID. There is verbiage in the bill that breaks down how the ID's are issued.

For instance, if you drive and therefore have a license, that is your ID. If you don't drive and have money, you purchase a state ID. If you qualify for having no money, the state pays for the ID.

I am all for voters requiring ID. The bill, as written, makes sense to me.

[url="http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.4844.EH:"]The Bill[/url]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1105052' date='Oct 30 2006, 01:15 PM']
I'd object to have to pay to vote.
[/quote]

The Georgia voter ID law that the courts just tossed out out went a step further. Not only would they provide a free ID card. They would go to your home to take you application. It was discriminatory because "certain groups are afraid of the authorities."

I have no problem with voters being required to provide ID if they were first required to show proof of citizenship. In the state of Florida, it is illegal to ask someone registering to vote if they are a citizen. Yes, they have to sign the app under teh long line of legalese that says that they are US citizens. But they can't be asked by the person registering them. That came about with motor voter.I don't know if it is national.

This is from the article that informed me of this issue:

[quote]But the stance of the public is pretty clear. Accord to an NBC-Wall Street Journal poll, 81 percent support Voter ID- "Poll Tax, They Cry" [u]National Review[/u]; October 23, 2006[/quote]

If this is the case, then what is the problem? Why does everything have to be racial? This obviously has absolutely NOTHING to do with race or taxing or whatever. It merely wants to protect our elections from an obvious-threat. Are we that polarized as a nation where the 2 parties can't even agree that we have to make sure that United States citizens are the only people who get to vote?

One must question the motives of Democrats who oppose this bill--mainly, Rep. Nancy Pelosi (who likened the bill to literacy tests and grandfather clauses), Sen. Harry Reid (who spoke of a "dark era"), and Sen. John Kerry (who mentioned Jim Crow laws).

Edited by kujo

In some states, convicted felons are banned from voting. Also Democrats don't what to require IDs because they want the illegals to vote. There was a demonstration in Houston where illegal aliens were demanding their "rights" and there were democratic activists signing people up to vote.

I hate this law. It would prevent me from voting. Plus national ID cards are a complete and total invasion of privacy. The government is not responsible for my identity, I am responsible for it.

I don't agree with this bill. It is basically a poll tax. It's not that you can't get a govt ID or anything, it's just that the law will make it necessary and it's hard to get one without having $30 to spare. I have to get a new license this week and besides all the craziness of finding the DMV and getting to the DMV (I don't have a car) I have to find money. I'm less than excited about it (besides the fact that the new one will say I'm 21 and that means fun things). Also it's kinda scary whenever someone proposes changing how we vote because basically always it's that party trying to keep certain people from voting. Not everyone has a govt ID, not everyone wants one and they shouldn't be required to vote. I thought that's why they send us those nifty voter registration cards anyway.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1105467' date='Oct 30 2006, 06:45 PM']
how can people who are not here legally be allowed to vote? it doesn't make sense.
[/quote]

How can people who have served their time and are rehabilitated NOT be allowed to vote?

Edited by track2004

[quote name='Matty_boy' post='1105462' date='Oct 30 2006, 06:43 PM']
In some states, convicted felons are banned from voting. Also Democrats don't what to require IDs because they want the illegals to vote. There was a demonstration in Houston where illegal aliens were demanding their "rights" and there were democratic activists signing people up to vote.
[/quote]
This is the truth.
Only people who are American citizens who actually contribute something to their community and country have any business voting.
Illegal aliens, convicted felons, and free-loading bums should not be able to vote for our public servants.
(And where unscrupulous Dems try to sneak such people into the voting booths, this helps contribute to the rise of the welfare state.)

[quote name='KizlarAgha' post='1105468' date='Oct 30 2006, 06:45 PM']
I hate this law. It would prevent me from voting. Plus national ID cards are a complete and total invasion of privacy. The government is not responsible for my identity, I am responsible for it.
[/quote]

How would it prevent you from voting? If you don't drive and don't have money then this Georgia act stipulates that you can get an ID free of charge. I cannot for the life of me see how this would prevent anyone from voting, unless you were not supposed to vote in the first place. Seriously, if such a minor inconvenience stops one from voting, perhaps that shows how serious about voting they really are.

And this is not really a national ID card, since a driver's license can be used.