An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Morons Lead Me Toward God

Winchester

I was made in the image and likeness of God. However, this is a world scarred by sin and pre-fab truss construction, so I'm a little warped.

I am a naturally combative and competitive person, and I am given to fighting futile battles, so when someone says something stupid and/or wrong, I feel an immediate need to speak or type. The latter works best on the internet, as typing furiously in the air when having an out loud conversation is ineffective.

I will beat dead horses, argue with the waves, advise toadstools and feed trolls.

I love God, but I love the material world as well. I am too intellectual and not enough mystical. I know God exists much more strongly than I have faith. I know, from having to study to reply to trolls, that the Catholic Church has a strong claim due to simple history. By grace, I have kept at least an ember of faith. That fiath it seems is best fanned when my vice of argumentativeness is fanned by the malodorous breath of a troll. God can turn one of my least desirable traits around, using some of the least desirable people (from my perspective) to do so. We all serve Him.

Ain't it grand?

There's a one letter difference. Somebody is having fun with that, but in this case, I am singling out no denomination, no matter how bizarre.

[quote]but I love the material world as well. [/quote]

Thats a problem
[size=1]
1Jo 2:15 Love not the world,[b] neither the things [that are] in the world[/b]. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.[/size]

Edited by Budge

Budge, what 'bout Genesis where Adam got to name everything? And believing that everything material is a heresy....and condemed...just can't remember which one. Albegensian, perhaps?

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1104066' date='Oct 29 2006, 12:06 PM']
The "material world" was created by God, you are rejecting God's Creation??
[/quote]
Oh, that's the false god who created matter. Budge worships that spiritual Gnostic god of the liberating Serpent, who will free us all from this prison of material bodies and return us to the spiritual Divine Spark, if only we follow the Hidden Ways.

[quote name='Kosh' post='1104212' date='Oct 29 2006, 04:16 PM']
Budge, what 'bout Genesis where Adam got to name everything? And believing that everything material is a heresy....and condemed...just can't remember which one. Albegensian, perhaps?
[/quote]
Manichean, I think, although if I remember right they are related.

Edited by Sojourner

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1104264' date='Oct 29 2006, 07:14 PM']
Manichean, I think, although if I remember right they are related.
[/quote]
Sojourner, I believe you're right.
(Sojourner's been paying attention in class - she'll get an A!)

instead of accusing budge of heresy for quoting a scripture verse which can be interpretted heretically, perhaps we can just reply with what that verse means: the "world" refers to the false things of this world which are contrary to God. those things should not be loved.

but a love of creation in the right context is a love of the Creator.

[quote name='Budge' post='1104056' date='Oct 29 2006, 10:51 AM']
Thats a problem
[size=1]
1Jo 2:15 Love not the world,[b] neither the things [that are] in the world[/b]. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.[/size]
[/quote]

Yes, Budge, I know. That's why I used it in opposition in my sentence.

It's the wrong kind of love for the world that's the problem, and that's what Budge and I are talking about.

Not the proper love for the world, such as God had to send His only Begotten Son to us.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1104031' date='Oct 29 2006, 09:42 AM']
I honestly thought you said "How Mormons Lead Me Toward God"... but then you didnt
[/quote]
I thought the same thing.

Is there a homer simpson "doh!!" smilie?

Hello, The next verse says this:

16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world.

It is not just false teaching that is the problem with the world. It is all the things that distract us from proper love and service to God. John is warning us here.

I think it is obvious that is is fine to love certain things in this world. I love a walk in the woods, especially with my children. I love playing Tennis with my son, etc... I do however take the warning from John seriously and try to be careful where my priorities are.

In Christ,
Brian